Skip navigation

37474 Views 171 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2010 5:49 PM by pgedbaw RSS 1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 6, 2010 8:19 AM

Hershey Half Marathon Reviews

Share your experiences with the Hershey Half Marathon below Back to event details page.

• QuentonC Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 6, 2010
    1. Mar 6, 2010 8:19 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Hershey Half Marathon Reviews

Im looking forward to hearing more about this. If the company that operates Hersheypark manages this it should be a unique and well executed event. Hopefully we will be able to smell the chocolate as we run. Im only at 4 stars until I hear more about the specifics of the event, although I fully expect it to be great.

• marydeckerrunner Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010
    2. Mar 28, 2010 9:12 AM (in response to Guest )

I love Hershey Park and the Chocolate Spa so I will be interested to see if they do have a race this year. I dont think that it is organized by the Hershey Park staff though, as there is another 5k race in Hershey that is run by the Hershey Chocolate Company (formerly Hershey Foods). Its a pretty small race, so I hope that this one is much bigger. I wonder why they dont have more information about the event yet. I am deciding between this race and a couple of others so I am anxious to hear more.

• Pegasus23 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010
    3. Mar 28, 2010 9:22 AM (in response to Guest )

There are a lot of high school and college races run in Hershey so I think that it will be a great first time event. I dont know who oversees any of these events but I bet that they will use all of the resources that are made available by the Hershey Chocolate Company.

• paulrpaulrpaulr Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 6, 2008
    4. Jul 26, 2010 7:34 PM (in response to Guest )

I gotta believe HersheyPark is involved.  If the course map is accurate, the course goes through HersheyPark.

• joelodonnell Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010
    5. Aug 13, 2010 3:03 PM (in response to Guest )

Coming on to enter 8 weeks before the event and it is closed?  How can an event get sold out?  What a bummer.

• Mandelicious Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 27, 2009
    6. Aug 14, 2010 7:37 AM (in response to Guest )

"Sold out" 8 weeks before the race and with no warning that there were limited spaces?? What a disappointment. My friend went to register us for it yesterday (before the first deadline) and no luck. We've been training for it and were totally psyched. Not so much anymore. We will find a different race to do that weekend, but it still sucks. I feel bad for everyone else in the same boat.

• John131313 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 31, 2009
    7. Aug 15, 2010 5:45 PM (in response to Guest )

Sold Out? Two months before the race? Maybe next year the race director will state clearly that there is a field limit.  What a bust...

• Sharpgrrl Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 13, 2009
    8. Aug 16, 2010 8:18 AM (in response to Guest )

Sold Out???  Why wasn't there any notice that the race would be closing early?  Maybe something like "only 500 spaces left."  The way I read it was that registration was open right up until the day of the race.  I was told that the township asked the race close once 2500 people signed up, surely Hershey is able to handle larger crowds???  Very disappointing.

• Luxdad Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    9. Aug 16, 2010 6:31 PM (in response to Guest )

I was very disappointed too.  I was just about to register before the deadline when it closed.  I was going to run the relay with my son.    There's always next year.

• mokevlyn Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 22, 2010
    10. Aug 22, 2010 9:37 AM (in response to Guest )

When I looked at the web site it clearly stated that there was a limit on the number of entries they would accept and the number was low.

It was advertised originally back in March or April.......

Since it is their inaugural race, they may be looking to get a feel for what they are doing before they go too big; probably a good idea.

Look early next year for sign ups directly on the Hershey site.

• BABarakas Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 22, 2010
    11. Aug 22, 2010 5:27 PM (in response to Guest )

This is total BS. Hershey has the ability to handle large crowds yet they cap the race. I never saw anything stating that they were going to accept a limited number of registrations. Based on what I'm reading on here, it doesn't look like I'm the only one who didn't see this. Mokevlyn, it almost seems like you work for Hershey or something.

• Michelle Moeller Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 30, 2010
    12. Aug 22, 2010 6:27 PM (in response to Guest )

Crazy!  This race should be much bigger... very disappointing as I have booked my flight in from Wisconsin! Bummer.

• Mandelicious Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 27, 2009
    13. Aug 22, 2010 9:48 PM (in response to Guest )

Wow...I've been getting all of the updates and it seems like Hershey really dropped the ball on this one. I feel so bad for everyone who has been training and especially the woman who was flying in from Wisconsin to do it. But, anyway, I just wanted to tell you all that The Hands on House in Lancaster has a Half Marathon scheduled for the day before this race. It's actually perfect timing if you've been following a training program. And since it's the 7th year of it, they probably have all of the kinks worked out. You can get race info at www.handsonhouserace.org. In a previous post I mentioned that my friend and I were so disappointed because we were training for the Hershey Half. But, we found this race to do instead and registered for it. Hope to see you all there!

• Joni Mathews Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    14. Aug 23, 2010 3:40 AM (in response to Guest )

I, too, am extremely disappointed!  Thanks for the tip on the one in Lancaster.  I'll head there instead!  Am kinda worried about the 'challenging climbs' its mentions though. 

1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...