Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3691 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2010 12:39 PM by Francessmom RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
Jan 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 8, 2010 5:42 AM

Runaway Parents 3/8

Good morning everyone!

Last week was a crazy one.  I did check in on you ladies throughout the week but never had time to respond.

Doctor Ty & Rebecca -- I am so sorry to hear about your losses.  You and your families have been in my prayers.

Tracy P -- Congratulations!!  And thank you for such a wonderful descriptive account of your race.  My first 5K was yesterday (more of that to come) and I cannot tell you how excited I got reading about your experience.  That hill sounded like a beast -- no wonder you had to take the stairs backward.  And I loved your sign.    So what's next for you??

Angie -- I also loved your description of your half.  Thanks for posting that!  It sounded like a blast.  Congrats on your first half!!  Are you from New Orleans?

Soooooo, back on New Years Eve I went out for pizza with my kids and met a nice couple at the next table.  The husband raved about a half marathon he had run here in Seaside.  When I told him I had always wished I could be a runner, he told me that there was a 5K the same day as the half and that I should make it my New Years resolution to run it.  I got online the next day, registered for the 5K and printed out the Couch to 5K program.  Yesterday I ran my first 5K & I have become addicted to my running.  I hope that I run into that man again so I can thank him.

The race was awesome.  The big draw was the half marathon.  They allowed 2200 entries for that and 800 for the 5K.  Both races filled up in early January and they turned away 10,000 runners!  We had to park at a grocery store about a mile from the race and take shuttles over to Seaside.  Seaside is a beautiful beach town, pastel houses with white picket fences and a big grassy ampitheater in the center of town.  The half started at 7:00 and the 5K started at 7:20.  It was chilly in the morning, probably in the 40s during my race, but it was sunny.  Local volunteers lined the road cheering us on and calling out the time.  I found my happy place and kept a pretty steady pace once we got past the first half mile.  I've been running with my Nike Plus, which I never calibrated, and I discovered that I have not been running as fast or as far as I thought I was.  When I got to the official one-mile mark, I looked at my ipod and it said I had gone 1.2 miles.  As it turns out, I had never actually run 5K before.  So the last quarter mile was extra challenging.  My family was waiting near the finish line, and my 5/y/o had made a poster that said "Go Mom Go".  Afterward she told me she was so happy that I won the race.  I guess she was listening when I told her everyone who finishes is a winner.    My chip time was 28:53.  The race was sponsored by Vera Bradley, so I got to choose a tote bag on my way through the finish chute.  I got the Pucini, for those of you who are familiar with the different patterns.  The post-race party was fun.  Free BBQ & beer, good live music.  I looked for my neighbor at the finish line for the half, and really enjoyed watching those folks finish.  So many different ages, body types, running styles.

My next 5K is at the end of the month.  In the meantime, I think I will start training with a 10K program.  First off though,I have to calibrate that Nike Plus.  I thought I was consistently running an 8:30 mile!  Oh well.  Maybe someday.....

Have a great week, ladies!

Ali

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

• RunInPeace Amateur 34 posts since
    Jan 8, 2010
    1. Mar 8, 2010 9:17 AM (in response to Ali-Gator)
    Re: Runaway Parents 3/8

ALI!!! -CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  HOLY COW YOU ROCKED THAT 5K!!!!! I am so proud of you!! And 28:53???!!!! And a Vera Bradley bag to boot. Can't beat that! I am going to try not to be embarrassed by my time...lol. How sweet of your 5 year old. I love the perspective of that age on racing. I mean it, I am so happy for you. The first race is DONE...now on to more..yaaaaay!

Angie-  Thank you! I hear about wanting to be alone without the kids. Running is really the only time I get to do that...and that's only sometimes...lol. Congrats on the half!!!  I love reading all of the stories about reaching goals. It's so inspirational. I tried Saucony for the first time on my run yesterday and loved them.

TYKY- Okay, Mama, you had my mouth watering over T-Bone steak with mushrooms. MMMMMMMMMMMMM.Great job on the 5 miles.

Rebecca- I  am so sorry for your loss, and I do hope you are having a safe trip. And congrats on the pain-free run.

Tracy M- Poor kiddos. I always feel so helpless when they are sick. I hope the 7 year old is on the mend by now. And you know, we are somewhat of a "crazy hippie" family too.. We do vaccinations, but we cloth diapered, breasfed,  eat all natural or organic (um..most of the time..lol), babywear, and try to use natural or homeopathic remedies most of the time. We aren't as crunchy as some, but we definitely get looks sometimes...lol

Karen- I take a woman's daily by NewChapter Organics. I had to flu shot ONCE. I had a reaction, not as bad as yours, but I had not had one since, and neither have my kids.

Ty- I am still thinking of you and sending you big hugs.

I had a great 4 mile yesterday, and it was outside!!!!  My hubby is off on leave right now, so it's a real treat to run alone outside. The weather has been beautiful.

Have a great day everyone!

Tracy P.

2010 Races:

February 28, 2010-Love the Run You're With 5k (rescheduled from the 14th) 37:26

April 2010- Ft. Belvoir Spring Has Sprung 5k

Please keep Haiti in your thoughts and prayers

• TMachen Pro 114 posts since
    Jul 22, 2009
    2. Mar 8, 2010 7:21 PM (in response to Ali-Gator)

Ali – you are amazing! 28 for your first 5k! Who’s speedy in this house?? You go girl! Great race report and wahoo on the Vera Bradley bag. They just don’t have such cool races where I live. sigh…

Tracy P – I’m so glad you’ve been able to get outside to run. The weather has been amazing these past few days! We also did cloth diapers, breastfeeding, babywearing and so on. I don't even blink at the weird looks anymore. lol!

I was able to get out and run 7 miles on Saturday on some wicked hard hills. My legs are still feeling it.  I rested yesterday and then ran 4.5 today and felt a little better. So far I'm going to bail on the half marathon this Saturday and run a 5 miler next weekend (the starting line is just down the street from my house. how funny is that?!).  We have to reschedule my 4 y/o's family birthday party so which race I run will be based on when the aunts and uncles can get together for Shane's par tay.

Both boys are feeling much better and so far no one else seems to be getting sick (fingers crossed!!!).  Tomorrow is supposed to be 3 miles. I better head to bed so I can drag myself out of bed in the morning.

Have a great night!

~ Tracy

My blog about Life and other stuff

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

~Ovid

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    3. Mar 8, 2010 7:51 PM (in response to TMachen)

Ali, what a fun race. What great food. Yum! You young whippersnappers are so fast! Hooray!

I'm so glad to see all the mothers here who support nursing. Wow! I loved being able to nurse my infants.

We started our speedwork today. Fun! The first fartlek was difficult. I thought the other three were more bearable. Our 10 year old had a different opinion. He says the first, second, and third fartleks were equally difficult. The fourth fartlek was more bearable for him.
    We ran an easy half mile. Next, we did four sets of fast 400 meters followed by 200 meter recovery runs. We finished off the fartleks with another easy half mile. Our ten year old did a great job. He skips some of his runs during the week so he isn't as conditioned as I am yet. I'm not bragging as I know that he will leave me far behind one day soon. I encouraged him to walk on the last two recovery runs. He loves running and I don't want him to hate it some day. We gave each other high fives, drank water, and had our lunch. It was a fun but hard and energizing exercise. I had a buzz for the remainder of the day. Just say no to drugs and YES to fartleks!

Race day is 12 days away...

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• Angiesrunning Amateur 32 posts since
    Nov 18, 2009
    4. Mar 9, 2010 5:48 AM (in response to Ali-Gator)

Ali, I am not from New Orleans, but I am from North Louisiana.  A vera Bradley bag... That's awesome.  They don't give out prizes like that down here   I agree w/ runinpeace...you did rock that 5k

cats...I know you're excited about your race.  I know you can do it.  How many miles is it?

I ran in the gym yesterday.  Still getting over my leg injury so it's more like a jog.  I walked for 1 min. at 3.5 mph then jogged for 2 min. at 5.2mph.  When I finished each round like that and went back to walking, I increased the incline by 1%.  I did this until I ran at a 5% incline, but I only did 4.8mph.m When I left the gym yesterday, I was saturated.  Hope e/one has a great running day!

Angie

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    5. Mar 9, 2010 6:48 AM (in response to Angiesrunning)

Hi Runaways!

Wow so much has happened since time I posted!  Both good and bad!

Ty – I am so sorry about your Grandmom!  You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers all weekend.  Running can be a way to avoid your feelings, but I also think it helps to be alone with your thoughts.  It always helps me sort through life’s debris.

Rebecca – Another loved one passes on.  You, to, are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ali – What an awesome race story!  What a fantastic time!  Vera Bradley, too!

I am jealous.

Karen – Sounds like you are going strong and will rock your 5 K!

Tracy M. – I have a household of sick people too – respiratory bug.  It’s a steady chorus of coughing, sneezing and “Where’s the tissues?!”  Unfortunately I haven’t been spared.

Angie – Great job on the half!  Sounds like you do some pretty intense workouts.

Tracy P – I’m enjoying the outdoors too.  Will your hubby have to leave again?

Well, I have had a crazy week.  Everything is fine now except for being sick.   But long story short – I found a thickness in my left breast about 2 weeks ago.  I have had two biopsies since 2002 and have mammos every 6 months – hoping each time that there is nothing.  I had the mammogram and ultrasound on Friday.  It was clear!  I am so relieved!  Since they only did the left side, I go back in July for a routine mammo on both sides.  Then hopefully it will be yearly.

My hubby and I have been working like dogs to get the kitchen ready.  We tore down 3 walls of lathe and plaster, plus cabinets, etc.  I think the dust (we did wear masks) has aggravated my cold.  On Sunday, we cut up and hauled away 4 trailer loads of branches from our pine tree that suffered extensive damage in the snowstorms.  It was definitely cross training!

I did run 4.5 miles on Friday after my tests.  I needed to decompress after the stressful morning at the medical center.  My right shin is still hurting. Saturday, I woke up with a terrible head cold.  Runny nose, cough, sore throat, massive headache. Then worked on the kitchen demolition anyway. On Sunday morning I took my daughter for her first outside run.  We did 2 miles in 21 minutes.  We did walk for a minute.  Our 5 K is in 3 weeks.  I will stay with my daughter, so my time will be slow.  I decided my body needs a rest for a few days – the run on Sunday was tough cause I couldn’t breathe.  I will walk the dog but no running.  It is finally nice out here in PA.  Today it is going to be near 60 and sunny.  Makes me think about starting the garden……

Stay healthy!

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

Jul 22, 2009
    6. Mar 9, 2010 3:13 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Marie - I'm so glad to hear your tests came back with favorable results! How stressful that must have been! Very good that you got to go for a run to clear your head afterwards.  I hope your household gets over the respiratory issues, and you're right that remodeling dust probably isn't helping. You'll have a beautiful kitchen when you're done though!

Karen - Thanks for following my blog- I followed yours. Very fun!

I was able to run 3.1 before lunch. My thighs aren't as sore as they were from the hills on Saturday but they're still 'talking to me.'   I have a monstor sized blister on the underside of the joint of my big toe. Even my husband was grossed out by it. I guess it's from running downhill?? I've been using Bandaid brand 'blister' bandaids but they don't seem to be helping.  I'll have to carve out some time to take my shoes and socks to my LRS and see if they can help me figure out what's causing it.

The rest of my week is crazy busy with school stuff. I'll check in but may not be able to post.  Happy running everyone!

~ Tracy

~Ovid

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Mar 9, 2010 4:54 PM (in response to Ali-Gator)

Hello Runaways,

Yesterday I was fallowing your example and decided to take my kids to the track.  It was a beautiful 59 deg and I hadn't done my run.  So when my 7 yr old got out of school we picked him up from the bus and went to the track on base.  I have been there hundreds of times and NEVER saw anybody there.  Yesterday made up for it.  We pull up, and there had to of been at least 75 military in uniform running.  Uggg.  I almost drove away, but I knew if I did I wasn't going to get my run in.  So we stayed.  Luckily once I finished my warm up they all left.  I ended up doing 3 miles before we had to leave for scouts.  Although I am very used to doing more than 3 miles, since it has been so long since I ran outside my quads hurt.  I got to run outside again today and they just didn't want to move.  I also got my lifting in at the gym so I am looking forward to tomorrows rest day.

Ali- Thanks for sharing the story.  That is a great way to remember getting into running.  Also wonderful job on your 5k!  28:53 is a wonderful time for your first!

Tracy P- You sound so happy with your dh home.  I am so happy for you!  I keep telling myself 1 more month and we a 1/2 way there. 

Tracy-  I am so glad your boys are doing better!  Sick kids are awful, but I swear the males complains more about it.    Anyway I think you are making the right decision about your half.  I know how bad you want to run it, but I have been worried that your going to get hurt again.  Going from 7 to 13 is a HUGE difference.  With the extra time you'll rock this next race though!!!!!!

Karen-  Running is a drug.  A very addictive drug at that!  At least its one my doctor won't mind!!!!  Your fartleks sound like fun.  I was doing those in the fall before the weather got to bad and really miss them.

Marie-  Its no wonder your sick.  With all the stress you've been under and the dust from the kitchen.  Well I hope you and the family all feel better soon, and I am relieved to hear about the good test results.  Just keep thinking about the end result of the kitchen and that it'll all be worth it.

• TBMcKay Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    8. Mar 10, 2010 12:44 PM (in response to Ali-Gator)

Hey everyone!!!

I'm so sorry I don't have time to post.  Lots of family stuff going on for the next few days.  But I had to tell everyone that I made it safely to Alaska. And airports and airplanes for 12 hours with 3 kids is 100% cross training!!!!   We have a sad reason to be here in Alaska but my sister-in-law is here and she runs with me and we had an AWESOME snowy Alaskan run this morning.  It was kind of cold- but we decided to try and it was wonderful!!  How often to you get to run while you can listen to Bald Eagle screeching, and we saw deer.  We're on a small island, so we ran along the water and watched for whales.  We did about 5 miles with two or 3 major hills, I did walk twice but I think the air is different I couldn't breath.  But I'm still only suppose to run easy because of my ankle injury, which is feeling great, by the way.  3 miles tomorrow, and a different route, a bit flatter and hopefully we'll see whale becuase it's a long path along the water. 

I will have time to read everyone's stuff, and post either tomorrow night or Friday.   Hope everyone is having a great running week!!!

Sorry, I don't have time right now.  I really enjoy reading everyone's posts so I will do it!! 

~Rebecca

2010 Events

1/23  Winter Predictor -13K - 1:19:15

5/2   Eugene -Half Marathon

6/26  Pacific Crest -Half Marathon

10/10  Portland -Marathon

Jul 22, 2009
    9. Mar 10, 2010 2:06 PM (in response to Ali-Gator)

TyKy - Good for you for staying at the track. I would have high tailed out of there when I saw all those people.

Rebecca - Your airplane ride sounds like a more than cross training! You *are* Wonder Woman!  I'm glad you're able to get in some good runs - and pain free! I went whale watching in Maine years ago. So very cool! I hope you see some whales tomorrow!

Today is my rest day though it should count for cross training since we have co-op from 9 - 2:30. :)

Happy running!

~ Tracy

~Ovid

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    10. Mar 10, 2010 6:14 PM (in response to TMachen)

I need some advice.

Today I did my scheduled run of five miles. This is the week I cut back by 30%. I do that every 4th week.
    I am sick now. This happens to me annually this time of the year. My eyes are stinging and burning. My regular prescription medication nor my eyedrops are helping at all. I'm allergic to some flowers that fall from a tree all over our home and outside my bedroom window. The flowers also fall in my hair while I'm running.
    I meant to have a big calorie meal earlier but I was too sick from allergy symptoms.
    I have finally caved in and taken Benadryl.
    Is it OK for me to go to bed even though I'm short 700 calories? I have eaten every 2-3 hours today but I'm still short on calories. I don't want to crash tomorrow. Can I just make up the calories tomorrow or do I need to eat them before I go to bed?
    Thanks for your help. I'm sorry I don't feel well enough to comment on anyone's posts right now.

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

Dec 14, 2007
    11. Mar 10, 2010 7:56 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Karen,

You sound like you feel awful.    I'm so sorry.  When I lived in NM I had allergies like you have.  To keep the flowers out of your face and hair have you tried wearing a hat when you run?  Many women like hats to help protect their skin from the sun, but to also hold back hair.  For you would just be the added benefit.  By no means am I educated in proper diet, but I have found myself where you are before.  What I did was eat a protein bar and force down some milk.  That didn't make up for the calorie deficit, but I thought it might give the muscles some of what they needed.  Then in the morning when I woke up I had a nice breakfast.  Hopefully you have a rest day tomorrow, if not pay attention and listen to your body.  Great job on completing your 5 miles though.  Hope you feel better in the morning.

Dec 14, 2007
    12. Mar 11, 2010 1:57 PM (in response to Ali-Gator)

Today I ran 3 miles outside!  I had a hair appointment and then had 40 min left with the sitter.  I thought "hmm I can get dressed run 3 miles and get to the sitters in 40 min."  Then I was off.  I got to experience 12 mph winds and light rain from time to time, but it still felt good.  My body is still adjusting to being outside though.  I've had to cut my mileage back to accommodate, but I hope it'll come back quick.  I figured it was better to cut back mileage and not chance injury.  I had another sitter scheduled for my long run on Sat. but he had something come up, so we are going to try tomorrow afternoon.  I am worried about this but it beats not running at all.  I figure if I am still tired from today I can walk some.

How are everybody's food journals going?  I must admit at first I didn't think I would keep it up, but now I find I really enjoy it.  I haven't changed much in my diet, but I have lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks so.  YIPPIE!!!  I always knew my fruit and veggies were low in the winter, but I'm really trying to fix that.  Summer is just fine, but in the winter they just don't look appetizing.  Does anybody else experience this?  Any suggestions on how to get more in?

I hope everybody is doing well!

TyKy

• RunInPeace Amateur 34 posts since
    Jan 8, 2010
    13. Mar 11, 2010 2:22 PM (in response to TyKy)

Hi ladies,

I'm around, but battling a wicked stomach thing. Could only eat saltines yesterday. So no running either. I'll catch up as soon as I'm up to it.

Take care!

tracy P

2010 Races:

February 28, 2010-Love the Run You're With 5k (rescheduled from the 14th) 37:26

April 2010- Ft. Belvoir Spring Has Sprung 5k

Please keep Haiti in your thoughts and prayers

• DoctorTy Amateur 30 posts since
    Nov 15, 2009
    14. Mar 12, 2010 8:50 AM (in response to RunInPeace)

Hi Ladies,

Marie - So glad you got good news.

Tracy P. - Sorry you're feeling ill. There's a stomach bug going around up here too - adults and kids. Wash hands so no one else gets it.

So I worked out yesterday and today, the last time before that was last Friday. I ran 3.12 miles yesterday and 4 miles today -- the longest I've ever run. Last night's run sucked. I almost passed out once I stopped. But I also hadn't eaten and was wearing long pants again (the only thing I could find that was clean). This morning, I ate 3 hours before I ran, careful not to get cramps again... and I had on my shortest shorts and I felt great. I had only planned to run 3 miles and I ran 4 instead. I also tried to do a pseudo-tempo run -- 1 mile @5.6, 1 mile @5.8, 2 miles @5.6 = 4 miles.

I'm off to take a nap. I worked last night, which means I ran last night, then did Group Power, bathed, went to work all night, got off, dropped the kiddo to school, went BACK to the gym, ran 4 miles, bathed, now in the bed. I have 3 hours before I hit the road to NJ. Crazy I know -- don't tell me.

Talk to you guys soon! Keep up the great work!

Ty

Cheer me on on the road to 30 and my first 5K: http://roadto5kand30.blogspot.com

2010 Races

3/20 - The Nun Run 5K, Phoenix, AZ - 30:56 (report)
    4/10 - Essential 2 Life 5K, Jersey City - 28:36 (report)
    5/23 - Cheshire 5K, CT
    6/27 - Fairfield 5K, Jennings Beach
    7/21 - Citizen's Bank Evening 5K, Middlesex
    8/1 - Soundrunner 5K, Guilford, CT
    8/15 - West Rock Challenge 5K, New Haven
    8/29 - Old Wethersfield 10K, CT

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...