Skip navigation

1673 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2010 6:03 PM by zebUSCG
zebUSCG Amateur 37 posts since
Nov 28, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 8, 2010 6:03 PM

Spinning and knee pain/ What type of doctor to see for sports injuries...

Hi, short intro I'm 22 y.o. male. Weigh between 156-160, and 5'10. I have been running for the past three years. Recently ran a marathon 12 weeks ago. Developed some pain shortly after, and decided to run through it.  About 8 weeks of running through the pain decided to take a break. After two weeks of being sedentary thought it was time to get off my butt. So began getting back into the YMCA. My schedule has been doing one day of Elliptical. Two days a week of Spinning, and Elliptical. Then one day of Spinning and Elliptical. During the week also do Tai Chi 2-3 times a week for an hour. Last week on Monday morning developed some knee pain. Believe the culprit was due to using the Elliptical machine Sunday afternoon. Thought nothing of it so continued on with Spinning Tuesday, and again Thursday. After Thursday became stiff and slight discomfort during the day when not moving the leg. The pain is on the left leg just below the kneecap, and a slightly swollen. Last year had an issue of Patellar Tendonitis, seems vaguely familiar. I would like to continue Spinning till getting back into running and afterwards as well. Couple questions any clue what might cause the discomfort in the knee? Should I avoid taking the Spinning class for the week? Any tips on how to correct the issue? Second topic is in what type of doctor to see. Want to make sure that I will be able set to run in the next two weeks. The reason for the hiatus with running is because of a pain on the outer right knee. It was swollen to the size of golf ball. Within two weeks the pain, and swelling have decreased, but when feeling the area there is what feels of a small pebble. So my choices are the local Walk-In-Clinic or my current Physician. I could pay out of pocket to go see a Sports Podiatrist or Sports Physician. Any recommendations on if a regular doctor be the best choice, or do pay to see a specialist doctor? Thanks for any feedback.

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...