Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1893 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2010 2:07 PM by BDayShoes4Me
run2120 Rookie 7 posts since
Mar 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 9, 2010 7:46 AM

Anybody on Week 7? Losing momentum?

Hi, I am on week 7 of C25K program. Up until week 6, I could finish all the weeks without redoing any of the days, but I couldn’t finish the week 7, day 1? Not even for 10 minutes! Got too much pain in the ankles and felt too low energy to continue. Is it common? Should I try again or take few days off? If I take few days off for rest, will I lose the endurance to run for 25 minutes, and will I have to repeat the week 6?

Please advice. Also if you are on Week 7, please join this thread to support me to finish the last 3 weeks.

• Nasubi77 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 9, 2010
    1. Mar 9, 2010 8:09 AM (in response to run2120)
    Re: Anybody on Week 7? Losing momentum?

I am in Wk 7.  I, too, have felt a loss of momentum and motivation, but did manage to do the complete 25 minutes on D1 (yesterday).  I decided to up my motivation by visiting several C25K forums.  Reading about other peoples' successes and also encouraging people who are at an earlier level is very motivational to me.

Everyone has bad run days.  I would just try again in 2 days, following your regular run schedule.  Taking a "few" days off could landslide...

Another great motivator is to sign up for a race!  I have one scheduled the very week I graduate, and in fact, my graduation run may fall on Race Day!

Best of Luck!  I'd love a buddy to finish up the program with!

• sricks9 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 9, 2010
    3. Mar 9, 2010 10:05 AM (in response to run2120)

I'm so glad to see your post. I have made it through the c2k program with no problems until now. I ran my 1st 20min without stopping a week ago. Then I started on week 7 and have totaly blown it for 2 days now. The only thing I can figure out is that I have been running in cold weather 35-40 degrees and the last two days I tried it was 60-65. Not only was my breathing out of wack but my ankles hurt and my legs felt like lead weights. I have no idea what is wrong. I also do weight training 3 days a week, but usually do not run on those days. I am glad to see that I'm not the only one having these problems. I don't want to give up bc I've come so far. Not sure where to go from here.

• scrappingeek Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    4. Mar 9, 2010 1:47 PM (in response to run2120)

Hello, tomorrow I'll complete W7D2. I jumped in on week 4 of the program and am loving it. I too had a bad run at W6D2 and couldn't complete the last 10 minute run. Rather than beating myself up I took a look at my diet and sleep pattern. I'd not eaten enough calories and not enough carbs. I literally ran out of fuel. I maintained the training schedule and with the proper diet my next run rocked. My only suggestion would be try it again.....I find if I go into the run patient with my self and good rockin' music, my mind will relax and the time goes by faster. Hang in there the Class of W7 is strong YOU can do it!

• BecomingBeautiful Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 8, 2010
    5. Mar 9, 2010 1:59 PM (in response to scrappingeek)

I'll start week 7 tomorrow!  I just want to encourage you. I took a week off after Week 6 day 1 and started back on week 6 day 3 on sunday and I felt so good and did it with no problem.  Maybe you should take off a couple days? It helped me.  I also chose to switch my run to the morning instead of evening which felt good.  Something that definately has kept me going through those funky workouts is having already registered for my first race which happens to fall on week 9 for me.  You CAN do it!

• Flatlander62 Pro 80 posts since
    Jan 9, 2010
    6. Mar 9, 2010 7:57 PM (in response to BecomingBeautiful)

I "graduated" this week when I ran W9D3 plus an additonal mile and half for 4.5 miles.I ran my second 5k last weekend and have another scheduled for this weekend. I started the program in January and didn't repeat any weeks. So, just to say, Cto5k has worked for me, but my gosh, week 7 was a bear! The leaden legs, the feeling of total drudgery, I had it bad. I felt great during weeks 5 and 6, and then week 7 was like the week from hell. All I can say is that I forced myself to finish it, one step at a time, and then week 8 too. I think things started to look up again in the middle of week 8, and week 9 has been great. Take it slow, keep your eyes on the prize and be inspired by all those who have finished the program. You CAN do it! And really, it will get easier again. I promise!

Started W2D1 January 9, 2010

First 5k, Run for the Paws 1/30/10, 36.01

Hope, Love & Faith MS 5k, 3/6/10, 31.31

S.B.K. Run for the Cure 5k, 3/13/10, 34.03

Firecracker 5k, 7/4/10, 33.16

John Clay 5k, 9/4/10, 30.39

Halloween Crazy 8k, 50.20

NEXT:

Ft. Lauderdale 13.1 Half Marathon, 11/14/10

• BDayShoes4Me Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 10, 2010
    8. Mar 10, 2010 2:07 PM (in response to run2120)

The reason W7 feels the hardest and others are agreeing is because it is!!  It is approx. 25% increase in total mileage from the previous week and W6 had quite the progression to it, which is sure to leave many feeling tired W7D1.  Generally it is best only to increase ones total weekly mileage around 10% (plus or minus a bit).  Good news.  W8, W9 are more moderate progressions so keep your spirits up during W7, acknowledge it as a truely challenging week and take it easy or repeat W6 if necessary.  W7 is quite the hurdle so pat yourself on the back when you complete it, knowing you've completed one of the hardest weeks looking strictly at the numbers so to speak.

Happy Running and remember your body never lies...if it feels hard there's probably a reason and more than likely the reason is because it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've gone back to wearing my birthday shoes whenever possible...they never wear out and cost much less

The human body is coolest machine ever!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...