Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2112 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2010 8:02 AM by run2120
elwayfan446 Rookie 7 posts since
Mar 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 10, 2010 11:02 AM

Graduating C25K This Week... what next?

Hello everyone!

First, I will introduce myself.  My name is Scott and I am from Arkansas.  I have been trolling the forums for several weeks, but I have not posted until now.

I am proud to say that I started the Couch 2 5K program in January and I will be graduating this Saturday with my Week 9, Workout 3 run.  I am so excited.  In Week 1, I could barely run for 60 seconds without feeling faint or running out of breath.  I am 33 years old and weighed 215lbs when I started.  At 5'9... that is a bit more than I had been since before college.  I have never been a runner before, however, my wife and several of my friends have been.  They finally talked me into doing it and that is when I found Couch 2 5K.  When I started, my goals were....

1. Lose weight.  I wanted to lose about 30 lbs in 2010.  So far, I have lost 16lbs with this program and watching my calories.

2. Run a 5K race on May 1st.  I am registered and I believe I could do it now if I wanted.... more on that in a moment.

3. Become a "runner" doing this for health, fun, and to be competitive with it!  So far, I am getting healthier... enjoying it... and we will see how competitive I am when I run that race.  However, I am constantly trying to better my time with each run.

So, as far as where I am at now that I am at the end of my C25K program....

Weight - lost 16lbs

Running - I am able to complete 3.10 miles non-stop.  My first attempt at the full 5K was week 9, workout #1 and I ran it in 30:29.  I was trying to beat 30 min, but since I couldn't even run for 60 seconds in week 1... I will take it.  I have spent nearly all of the training on a treadmill.  Once I got past the interval weeks, I changed from time to distance and I have been starting around 5.5mph and 2% incline (to help simulate outdoors) and trying to end up around 7.0 mph and 0% incline.  Overall, I generally feel really good when I run, but as of now... I don't know how I can get faster.  I use up everything I have trying to finish in under 30 min.

So... after all that, I am interested to hear what others feel I can do to increase my speed in the 5K?  I work so much better with a program to follow... C25K has been perfect for that.  Now I am a little stressed trying to figure out what I am going to do next after I graduate.  Do I try to increase my speed?  Do I try the One Hour Runner program?  What would you vets recommend?  I need another goal to work toward while I finish training for this race and beyond.

It will be great getting to know you guys and hearing your thoughts!

Scott

• jjksutton Pro 52 posts since
    Feb 20, 2010
    1. Mar 10, 2010 3:47 PM (in response to elwayfan446)
    Re: Graduating C25K This Week... what next?

Scott...congrats on your accomplishments so far.

As for what next, I would say it depends on what drives you.  It sounds like maybe cutting time is a motivator for you right now.  I think the best way to cut time is to work in some good interval training.  I'm not an expert on running fast, but when I've focused on really incorporating intervals I noticed definite improvements in my times.

The big caution I would throw out though is to be careful not to go out too hard right away.  Intervals and striders are a good way to bring your time down, but because your pushing so much harder for that short amount of time you really up your odds of getting injured of you don't build up to it.

You also may consider some type of cross-training, whether it be strength training, yoga, or something else to keep it fresh.

For me, having something on the calendar motivates me.  Whether it's a 5K, 10K, or more, when I plop down the money to register for a race it keeps me focused.

I've also lost some weight since beginning running.  Looking in the mirror is a pretty good motivator.

I think having your wife and friends there as a built in support system will help to keep you motivated as well.

Again, congrats on what you've done.  You have something to feel proud of.

• bugrit Rookie 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Mar 11, 2010 6:03 AM (in response to elwayfan446)

I'm in the same boat as you, and my name is also Scott. I live in Macon, Georgia, and on Tuesday I ran my 5K. I didn't time it, but it was around 28 minutes, give or take a couple.

I am a returning runner. In my heyday I was a 20:00 5K runner and ran up to the Half Marathon distance. I came up with a plan for the new me (54 years old) and I'll attach it. You will need to adapt it to your own needs. Congratulations!

Attachments:
  • bugrit Rookie 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Mar 11, 2010 6:42 AM (in response to elwayfan446)

Good idea. I bet on your long runs that you will be close to if not over 6 miles by the time you finish your plan. You seem to have all bases covered.

• run2120 Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 9, 2010
    7. Mar 11, 2010 8:02 AM (in response to elwayfan446)

Scott, First of all congratulations on finishing the C25K program! Guys like you provide us the proof that we too, can lose weight by simply following the C25K. I am on week 7 right now. I also started running to lose weight, and yah, my hubby (who is a runner) talked me into this. I am so glad that he did! So far I have lost 9.5 lbs!

Just like you, I also like to follow a plan to motivate myself. I have downloaded the C25K app for iPhone and it’s been great fun to see a check mark on the days I complete.

After finishing the C25K, I am thinking about re-doing the program. I will swap the ‘walk’ part with my normal running and ‘run’ part with my targeted speed. As I progress into the weeks, I will increase the targeted speed. I think that kind of interval training will provide me the ‘check’ I need to continue.

I hope this idea help you to go to the next level. Keep up the good work! We are proud of you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points