NEED HELP?|

2392 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2010 6:00 PM by Saxxmaxx
Saxxmaxx Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2010 10:17 PM

Beginner Training Plans

Hi All!

I've been running for sometime now before finally deciding to try myself in triathlon.  Unfortunately, swim/pool access hasn't been too easy for me hence, it has mostly been running and bike.  I've been enjoying my "training" so I guess you can consider that a good start for me.  One of my main concerns though is that I am unsure of how exactly to train properly so that there is progress in what I am doing.  I just train whatever I feel like doing for the day...either 5K run then 10K bike in one day, or 10K run then 30K bike, and of course days where I just bike and that's it.  I regularly do strength training thorugh gym sessions as well.  In other words, my training program is a total mess and I haven't exactly felt any improvement in my game. 

That being said, can any of you recommend a training program online or a book perhaps that can direct me to properly train?  At least there is also some target that I have as opposed to just doing what my body feels like doing. 

Thanks!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 12, 2010 10:49 AM (in response to Saxxmaxx)
    Re: Beginner Training Plans

there are trainingplans you can buy here at active.com but also generic training plans are avaiable at beginnertriathlete.com, trinewbies.com, trifuel.com and slowtwitch.com. heard good stuff about the book triathlon 101 by mora for starting out.  Friel's triathlete training bible is also very good but very drya nd textbooky. bernhardt's training plans for mutlisport athletes is also a good book IMHO

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• drmiles85 Pro 84 posts since
    Nov 5, 2008
    2. Mar 12, 2010 10:57 AM (in response to Joe_h1)

Friel also has a "first tri" book:

http://www.amazon.com/Your-First-Triathlon-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382859

I read it before my first race - then the Training Bible before my second.  First is very elementary, but has lots of good tips and things to think about before the race.  As for training plans, the beginner book suggests a lot of things, but I don't think it had any real plans in it.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

www.twitter.com/drmiles85

• hitman786 Amateur 35 posts since
    Mar 2, 2010
    3. Mar 12, 2010 11:17 AM (in response to Saxxmaxx)

If you either want to take part in your first triathlon, or simply improve upon your  current performances, the following notes will hopefully help you.

Three key sports: swimming, cycling, running, will enable you to  train harder and wiser than if you were to concentrate on just one of  the above. By training in multi sports you will develop both all round  muscle toning and high levels of cardio vascular and lung  capabilities.

Try to concentrate of swimming as well but if still difficult then go for other two and stay positive, you'll improve day by day.

Triathlon Training Programs - 10% discount using code ACTIVE10

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    4. Mar 12, 2010 12:31 PM (in response to Saxxmaxx)

Hey there,

There are many online free & $ training plans, Joe listed many sites.

Don't be too hard on yourself, even Normann Stadler, a 2x Ironman World Champion, spent years basing his training on what he felt like. I call it "Training in the Land of the Lost". I wrote about that mistake and others in a series for new triathletes here. http://ironmakeover.blogspot.com/2009/06/land-of-lost-training-in-theaters-now.html

Other common reasons for lack of improvement:

- not going long enough, or with the right combination of intensity

- technique issues

- upcoming race date to motivate you? did you register yet?

- consistency

- proper build/rest periodization.

I hope you find some ideas to start with here at active.com. Don't give up, it's easy to get overwhelmed.

Best to you,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points