Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1343 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2010 9:55 AM by AnnieBCleveland RSS
AnnieBCleveland Amateur 22 posts since
Jan 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 12, 2010 5:41 AM

Training for half...growing knee pain

I've been training for a half-marathon that is in May. I've got about 9 weeks until the race, and I'm up to 6.5 miles on my long runs.

A few weeks back I started getting pain in my knee while running...right below the knee cap. It was only when I was running at first, and would subside as soon as I walked. There were never any remnants of pain after a run or the next day. Now I'm getting up there in weekly mileage and the pain is getting worse and is lasting. The day after runs, stairs (especially down) are painful. I've read lots of articles and am guessing it's a combination of my bad shoes and overuse. I'm getting new shoes this weekend, so that's one issue down.

For an overuse injury, the treatment is rest. But with 9 weeks until the half, I'm afraid to cut back on my miles at this point. I'm a new runner, have a 5k under my belt, a 5M race scheduled tomorrow, and a 10M in April leading up to the half. I've been following the Hal Higdon Novice plan, doing two 4 1/2 mile runs, 2 cross training days, 2 rest days, and a long run day . Where do I fit this additional rest time in? What should I cut out or cut back on to keep training but not fall off the training pace, but give the knee the breaks it needs?

I appreciate your help on this. I can't quit now, I'm too psyched about the race.

Completed:

Reindeer Run 5k - Dec 09

St. Malachi 5M - Mar 10

Cleveland 10-Miler - Apr 10

Cleveland Rite-Aid Half Marathon (May 10) - I made it!

"...you can call on the road whenever you feel like it. Whether it's been a day or even a couple of hours since your last date.

The only thing the road cares about, is that you pay it a visit once in a while..."

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    1. Mar 12, 2010 7:32 AM (in response to AnnieBCleveland)
    Re: Training for half...growing knee pain

Take a week off and forget the 5m ....how will the new shoe help and what is the cross training (spin is the cause) If so move the seat up and over the pedals. That will take pressure off the patella and put it on the gluts/hip flexors. How was the 5K time... maybe come back and beat that to regain momentum. Hal says to make adjustments

• physiofixme Amateur 5 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    2. Mar 14, 2010 12:33 AM (in response to grid-rider)
    Re: Training for half...growing knee pain

I agree on the rest thing.  You can cross train by swimming or aqua jogging but you need to rest.  Work on strengthening for quads and butt (gluteus medius in particular) and stretching your itb (iliotibial band down the outside of your leg)  You should get some massage done on your iliotibial band (or do it yourself by running a tennis ball up and down the outside of your thigh)  You can also tape your kneecap to help relieve pain and can run with it taped when you do return to running.  Don't freak out about the rest.  You still have time to pick your training up again.  Hope this helps.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points