Skip navigation

11345 Views 41 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2010 8:35 PM by Jasmine1972 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Keegan818 Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 27, 2010

sweet thanks! i think that u are awesome for getting out there and pushing yourself to lose weight!! not many people would get out there and do triathlons and 10k's! way to go!

that sux that the bike transition area is a long run to get to. i hope they have some astro turf laid down for us or something! i am most worried about transitions so i am getting a tri suit http://www.rei.com/product/796646?preferredSku=7966460011&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7966460011&mr:trackingCode=6561D0A1-283C-DF11-BAA3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA  and just wearing my running shoes for the bike (my bike pedals have a strap that goes around your sneaks instead of a cleat.

here is the link for tri transitions. these r great!

swim to bike http://www.youtube.com/user/ACTIVEdotCOM#p/u/94/XqYIfEN_bMo

bike to run http://www.youtube.com/user/ACTIVEdotCOM#p/u/84/HH6Bc3kiVGM

also, i dunno if it's in these videos but a great tip i heard was to wear your goggles UNDER your swim cap, not over the top. less chance of losing them in the swim fury

i'm going to go up to lake lanier one of these days and check out the bike course they have mapped out. will let u know!

• Christine Maciver Graessle Amateur 18 posts since
    Jan 13, 2010

Balancing Act -- well, you have the perfect name: it is a balancing act. I'm very impressed you are able to keep the schedule with all the other life commitments.  I'm the same as you with training -- I find that I'm getting tired.  I think I have the basics down -- finally and barely. So now it is time to start combining them.  I'm going to struggle with each leg but bicycling is the one I have the least time invested. I had been pretty good with the 6 times a week but didn't have a very good weekend. Life got in the way.  My husband used to do Olympic distance triathalons so he's very supportive.

Jasmine -- "only" ten pounds?  I think losing ten pounds is fantastic. Pat yourself on the back.

Keegan and Jasmine -- I've read one race summary from last year and that Irongirl said it was pretty hilly on the bike. I think she said 2 different pretty big hills.  I told my husband that they described the course as hilly and he responded with an evil laugh.  So I'm going to assume there are two big hills and try and train accordingly.  Next weekend, weather depending, I'm going to try and drive the course and actually jump in the lake to see how the visibility differs from the pool. I thought about going yesterday but the temperatures dropped so much, I gave myself an excuse not to go.  And ate a corn dog - nice nutrition, huh?

Keegan -- I think I'm going to get a trisuit too.  Well, actually, top and a bottom. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.  As well as the ones on transitions.

Good luck all.  This is fun, right?!?!!!?

Christine

• AKuch Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008

I did the Iron Girl last year and I would recommend preparing your bike leg for hills.  I wasn't so smart and actually participated without doing any training at all prior (in any aspect) but I still enjoyed the race (though it thoroughly kicked my booty).  The T1 transition is also a bugger because you have to go up a sharp incline to get to your bike but it's do-able! 

Iron Girl puts on an amazing race and such an inspirational event!  Last year, 6 professionals participated as well - Mirinda Carfrae, Pip Taylor, Chrissie Wellington to name a few.  However, the "average joe" who participated inspired each and every female.  For example, I was sucking wind and having difficulties on the bike but each person that passed me yelled out "Keep it up, you're doing a great job".  So go forth and put your best leg forward!  Once you finish you will be an Iron Girl as well!!!

• Go MiChelle Pro 81 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010

Jasmine,

I wish I was doing the Iron Girl! Maybe next year...

I can't wait to hear how it turns out for you. Please be sure to let me know. I'm thinking about doing an indoor tri to see how I like it, then going to an outdoor sprint tri.

Michelle

Past Races

US 10k Classic, Smyrna, GA Labor Day 2009 untimed

Critz Tybee 5k, Tybee Island, GA February 6, 2010 39:37

7th Annual Jog for a Cause 5k, Alpharetta, GA March 13, 2010 42:20

2nd Annual Terrapin Beer 5k Plus One More Mile, Athens, GA, April 10, 2010 54:21

Country Music Marathon & 1/2 Marathon, Nashville, TN April 24, 2010 2:56:40

Upcoming Races

Critz Tybee Half Marathon, Tybee Island, GA February 5, 2011

Join my group C25k and Beyond on Facebook!

Jan 13, 2010

Yes, I drove the course. You'll be more than fine with 2.5 hours. There seems to be two really steep hills -  but you go down first (major speed) and then go up.  Good thing -- they aren't long if that makes sense.  Our pain will be over quickly.  In the couple of reviews I read, there are plenty of girls who get off their bikes and walk up even so that's an option and then one girl wrote that she went from 40 mph to 3 mph.  There are plenty of other hills that seem "typical Georgia" and what looks to me like one very long slow gradual incline that looks pretty tough.  The Silver Comet and Greenway in Alpharetta where I ride don't have hills so I'm with you -- I need to get out somewhere to practice on hills but traffic is too scary.

Good luck on your My First Tri everyone.  I'll be thinking about all of you.

Christine

Jan 13, 2010

P.S. Last night, I jumped in the lake and swam for a little while (in the shallow). If you haven't tried it yet, it is a BIG difference from the pool - at least for me.  I recommend going at least once (and more if possible).  I had to tell myself to calm down, relax, etc. - I was beating and fighting the water due to feeling anxious.

Christine

• balancingact22 Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 20, 2010

ugh...i'm so nervous...

thanks for the update on the hills!  i might have to walk up them. 

Iron Girl Atlanta- June 27, 2010 - 1/3 mile swim, 18 mile bike, 3 mile run- FINISHER!!! 

Jan 13, 2010

Thanks for the info!  Very helpful.  Have a great race this weekend and have lots of fun!

Christine

Jan 13, 2010

Congratulations!!! Way to go.  Thanks for the information - yes, it is helpful. I'll read the full description as soon as I hit send here.

I went out there to cheer.  I couldn't believe that hill up from the swim to the transition.  I had heard about it but you have to see it.  And to think of running up it barefooted.  I sort of walked the run as I cheered people on -- I was thinking exactly what you expressed -- that I can't imagine running this after swimming and biking.  I thought one hill was BIG.  

I was confused a little looking at my Iron Girl map - I was looking for Wilderness Road for the run but I guess it is called Islands Parkway.

Again, give yourself a big pat on the back !! You have to be proud!  

Christine

Jan 13, 2010

P.S. I saw lots of people using headphones.  I guess if you're not going for a medal then they're lenient?  I've been trying not to run with headphones so I get used to it in case the race police get me!!!

Christine

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...