Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

84124 Views 610 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2010 7:07 AM by MHGCzarina 1 2 3 ... 41 Previous Next
kwmb Expert 48 posts since
Mar 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 14, 2010 10:18 PM

First time for C25K..starting 3/15/10, anyone else just starting out?

Hi everyone.

I've just recently heard of the C25K program, and am both excited and hesitant to start tomorrow (march 15,2010).

I have always been easily motivated BUT also failed easily as well. I have NEVER been a runner of any sort, and am wondering if I am setting upself up for failure by thinking that I can do the C25K!!! I'm scared because I know that I'm going to look ridiculous out there, running...and who really wants to be the fat girl attemping to run? ughh..nonetheless, I'm sick of being 25 and grossly overweight. I know it didnt happen overnight, but I just feel like I should be at the best shape of my life. I'm 24 (will be 25 on 03/19), mother of 3 sons woh are 4,3 and 1....and happily married. Of course my husband tells me that I'm beautiful, etc..but I hate how my self esteem has plummeted and I hate feeling like a disappointment in my boys' eyes.

Ughhh...ok pity party over...I'm determined to get my butt in gear and do this! Even if it means I'm redoing some weeks, I'm going to accomplish this!!!!

Now who's with me? lol =)

Started C25K on March 15/2010

~kristen~

"If you always do what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got" ..so lets switch it up!

• nukethewhales Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010

Hey,

I just wanted to let you know that I am beginning the Couch to 5k program tomorrow as well.  At least that's the plan.  I am 27 also overweight and am using this and hopefully a visit to a nutritionist soon to

lose some weight.  I guess I'm scared too. Not so much about how I will look but of falling back into the same old pattern.  Sometimes it just seems preferable to get home and play Xbox after work rather than doing something good for myself.  Now that I have my career in control, I hope to get my health in control so I can finally get my personal life going.  I'm with you so here goes nothing I guess.

• Life101 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010

Hi there,

I know you're worried about how you're going to look out there running at more than you're optimal weight.  I was motivated to respond because I do see people running occasionally that are really over weight.  I always think to myself, "Good for her!"  I thought this even before I was overweight.  I know it's tough to be active when you're over weight, not just because of the weight itself, but feeling self conscious about it.  Just remember why you're doing it - and that isn't to look glamorous and cute while you're sweating up a storm.

Also, I wanted to let you know I did the first day of the C25K program the other day.  I hurt myself doing something else and had to take some time off, but am excited to get back to it.  I am NOT a runner and always say I hate running.  I'm also really over weight now, so was worried I wasn't going to be physically able to do it.  I decided before I started that I would modify the plan to make it even easier on that first day.  I ended up doing the whole thing, as prescribed.  I couldn't believe it, but I did.  Whether you have to modify it to make it a little easier in the beginning, or whether you do the whole thing as prescribed - just try it.  You'll be amazed at what you can do.  You'll get a high off your sense of accomplishment and be ready to try the next step!

I hope it goes well and I'd love to hear from you tomorrow after your first session.

• redheaded Amateur 35 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010

Hi everyone!  I'm starting C25k today as well.  I'm really excited about gettting started.  I have tried being a "runner" before but always start too hard and end up getting sore joints so I'm hoping that by following this program I am able to run healthy.  Did you guys sign up for a 5k race yet?  I am looking for one in the area, but our finish date is the day my husband graduates from vet school, so I'm having to look a bit past that.  Good luck to everyone starting their first day, I can't wait to hear about how it went!

• Rieson Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Hey, I'm with you!  I just started again this morning.

I need new running shoes, my shins are killing me but the rest of the run went very well.

I did this program 4 years ago and IT WORKS!!  You CAN do it, not easy at times, but very doable.  I got sick and stopped (big mistake) now I'm 35 pounds heavier and out of shape again.  So here I am.

Now, off to stretch, ice & rub my shins ... then new shoes:)

• johnnews Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 16, 2009

Don't worry about how you look. You're OUT THERE and that's all you need to focus on. Do that and your goals will come.

• redheaded Amateur 35 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010

kwmb - as jillian michaels would say, that feeling is your body coming alive.  it may be uncomfortable, but embrace it!

• MissHollyAnn Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 12, 2010

Hey all.. I'm just starting this week too.  I have never been a runner.  The most I have ever ran at one time before was only 2 miles.  How fast are we supposed to be walking and running?  I've started out running at 5.0.  My goal is to get to 6.0 but that seems so far away right now.

• Bigheartedmama Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010

I'm 30 with 3 kids (4,2,10months) and have been an on and off runner since I turned 20.  I was unable to exercise during any of my pregnancies, but did try and run in between.  Now that I'm done with the babymaking, I want to get back into running.  When I get home today I'm going to throw on my running clothes and watch, grab my ipod and go for a run.  I'll post back later with how it goes!  Hopefully we can all support each other on this journey.

And, it hardly needs to be said, but I'm overweight as well (200+) but my weight isn't as big a worry to me as being healthy and fit and able to chase my kids and throw them around (for fun)!!

• FeliciaW Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009

I started again today...with W1D1.

I walked/ran on a treadmill and only got to 3 mph..but I did it!

• JaceyRight Amateur 30 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010

Hi All,

my official start day was today although I first did w1d1 on saturday. I felt I needed to start on a monday so I had a real start to the week. for some reason today's wk1d1 was a harder than the one I did on saturday. I am really excited. the thought of running a 5k is really... amazing. I've been running @ 4.5. I hope to get my speed up by week 3 or 4.

Good Luck All!

-Jacey

• lindsay619 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010

I'm also just starting C25k! I've never been a runner but have always wanted to run so I'm going to make it happen! : ) I'm following a C25k program set by a local running group so I should be ready to run a 5k in May!

• danielle40430 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 12, 2010

Hi,

I am getting ready to step on the treadmill and start C25K.  I feel I always start something but have difficulty carrying it through to the end.  However, I AM going to do this and start the path to many 5ks in my future.  Good Luck to all and let's do this!!!

1 2 3 ... 41 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...