Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

48840 Views 204 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2011 1:24 PM by Mikala_SF RSS 1 2 3 ... 14 Previous Next
Sylvia1960 Pro 89 posts since
Feb 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 21, 2010 7:51 AM

C25K as a Weight Watchers Member

Since I've been on another post we have had a lot of questions about Weight Watchers along with our C25K program so thought this might be a new thread we could begin.  We can share healthy eating strategies along with our "running" program.  What works, what doesn't and just helping others to eat healthy, lose weight and have a new running program to be active again!

Started C25K January 25, 2010

Graduated at my first 5K, March 27, 2010 

Botanical Boogie 5K, March 27, 2010  -  38:19

• lgall2010 Expert 52 posts since
    Feb 21, 2010
    1. Mar 21, 2010 8:18 AM (in response to Sylvia1960)
    Re: C25K as a Weight Watchers Member

Count me in! Just started WW online today. Thanks, Sylvia!

Toadsuck Daze 5K walk/run (My FIRST 5K) 05/01/10 -  47:08
    Dino Dash: 05/22/10 - 43:53

Firecracker 5K: 07/03/10 - 41:12

Race for the Cure: 10/16/10 - 39:33

Little Rock Half Marathon: 03/06/11 - 3:33

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    2. Mar 21, 2010 8:19 AM (in response to Sylvia1960)

Hi Sylvia

Although not a new runner myself, I am a weight watchers lifetime member, after having dropped over 65 lbs and many dress sizes, I still live and eat mostly the weight watchers way. I can definitely be a support line for you.

I'd say my biggest changes were as follows and in this order literally if it helps you at all:

1) Getting rid of all the processed sugary foods I was eating daily, i.e. skittles, starburst- I used to rely on those for energy believe it or not!  Once I stopped eating garbage like that after a while I simply didn't crave it anymore and now, well, it simply just doesn't taste right to me anymore...I also extended that to the processed junk food I was eating a lot i.e. potato chips, doritos, etc. Same idea, doesn't taste right to me anymore.

2) Knowing and watching my portions..  Knowing was a huge education- what exactly is a portion of meat for example... how to read labels, etc.

3) Swapping veggies for fruits... and eating smaller meals.  I now eat five or six small meals every day instead of three large ones... keeps the metabolism fired at all times and my energy very high, still eat fruit just less than veggies.  Two of my mini meals consist primarily of veggies. I added a lot of things to my diet that I rely on now and didn't really like before... now I do.

4) Finding healthy substitutes for things- learning how to cook better i.e. making my own "fried" chicken, eating out less,

5) Starting and sticking with excercise, I started with walking and total body toning and now have run two marathons.

6) Shopping the perimiter of the grocery store where the good stuff is and avoiding most or all sight of tempting and bad choices... now I don't care but at first this was very very helpful for me... the idea of out of sight is out of mind... also getting rid of those same items at home so that I would literally have to get up and go and get those bad choices was a huge thing- the idea of conciously going and getting doritos for example and then eating them really makes you stop and think about what you are about to do.

Hope this helps.

• Metime Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 20, 2010
    3. Mar 21, 2010 5:59 PM (in response to Runnergal262)

I am doing both WW and C25K.  I have been in WW almost 1 year and started C2K5 in early March.  I am very fortunate because I get to do both of them at work.  I have already noticed that I am making better weight loss progress since starting C25K.  My runs are M-W-F at 11:45 a.m.  On those days I am very vigilant to eat a small breakfast (either some egg beaters and laughing cow cheese...a 2 pt breakfast, or low sugar oatmeal...also a 2 point breakfast)  then I am sure to eat something, usually an apple or banana about 1 hour before run time.  Also I am diabetic so I think it is real important that I make sure and eat a little something before exercise.

I do get in a comfortable rut of what I eat, and would love to hear what others like to eat.

Races:

Bricktown Blaze (5K) 6/12/10

Stars & Stripes Forever (5K) 7/3/10

Midnight Streak (5K) 8/14/10

• shorty1982 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    5. Mar 22, 2010 12:13 PM (in response to Sylvia1960)

I'm a new runner my-self. I've ran before but, have to run/walk. I have also started weight watchers again for the second time around. I plan on doing a 5K on May 8th. Very nervous, trying to work my way up to it. Any advice on running, I have about 7 weeks to get ready. Let me know if you have any advice at all for me. Thanks...   -Jennifer

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    7. Mar 22, 2010 6:09 PM (in response to Sylvia1960)

Sylvia, glad you started this thread...I see your posts on the c25k and I mostly post in the master's thread....I have been contemplating WW for a while now..I have been on Jenny Craig for over a year and am within 15 pounds of my goal BUT what is bothering me now since I have started running is eating processed foods.....I am trying to eat healthy...love fruits and veges and am very lucky to live in california where they're available year round.....I have now changed to eating fruits for my snacks instead of chips etc..My question is would you recommend joining weight watcher's online or go to actual meetings...I want to continue healthy eating with non-processed foods it's really bothering me!!!!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• mariefnp Pro 160 posts since
    Mar 13, 2010
    9. Mar 24, 2010 8:54 AM (in response to Sylvia1960)

Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new to WW (2 months) and only lost 4.4 pounds so far (average .7/wk so still within healthy weight loss, just sloooow).

I haven't officially started c25k yet (still need sneakers) but hoping I can make it!

I do eat mostly fruits for my snacks, but don't get in my healthyoils. I'm not a salad person. I cook with EVOO, but don't cook during the week (work 12p-8p), just on w/e's. I take WW meals or Kashi meals, 0 pt veggie soup, leftovers from the weekend for supper for work. I can get in my 2 dairy, the fruits/veggies, the protein and grains, but oils - um, nope - any suggestions? What has worked for you?

I also don't drink enough water (Diet coke fan here ) gotta work on that esp for running. I'm trying - it ain't easy!!!

Love all the advice so far - it's been great!!!

Marie

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.....it is about learning how to dance in the rain!"

"The task ahead of you is never greater than the strength within you." - unknown

"Character gets you out of bed; commitment moves you to action. Faith, hope and discipline enable you to follow through to completion."

Began C25K 4/11/10 - have NEVER run in my life!!!!...C25K on hold with a knee injury

Soon to start Jeff Galloway's training program for women

• Jaradel Pro 86 posts since
    Mar 24, 2010
    10. Mar 24, 2010 11:05 AM (in response to Sylvia1960)

I've been doing WW since January '08. I lost 50 lbs but I backslid and gained about 15 back, so now I'm working on losing those plus the rest of the weight I need to lose (45 additional pounds). The one thing that's been lacking for quite some time, though, was an activity component. I'd started on an exercise regimen back in '08, but then I stopped for one reason or another, and never restarted it. After weeding the garden this past weekend I was confronted with just how out-of-shape I really am, and I started researching C25K as a way to fit some exercise into my day. I completed my first day yesterday, and today at lunch I took a 2 mile walk along the bike trail. Even though I'm a bit achy, I still feel better for having exercised, and I am looking forward to W1D2 tomorrow morning (bright and early)!

C25K 3/23/10 - 5/20/10

Completed Races:

Broad Run 5K Trail Race - 4/24/10 - 48:16

March on Melanoma 5K - 5/8/10 - 46:49

Race to Victory 5K - 5/22/10 - 44:03

Upcoming Races:

Heritage 5K - 10/3/10

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He saves worlds, rescues civilizations, defeats terrible creatures and runs a lot. Seriously, there's an outrageous amount of running involved." - Donna Noble, "Doctor Who"

Allons-y!

• mariefnp Pro 160 posts since
    Mar 13, 2010
    13. Mar 24, 2010 1:38 PM (in response to Sylvia1960)

Thanks for the tips Sylvia - great ones about the WW smoothies, haven't tried them yet, but was contemplating the blueberry pomegranate at the last meeting, might give them a shot. I'll pick up a box this Saturday! And try the oil!

I am starting the book "No Need for speed" just read a few lines tonight - I like his style already. One goal I have is to start and DO this program as best I can so that I can go running with our daughter when we get to Hawaii the end of May - that is 2 months - hopefully doable, should be near the end of it by then!!!! I want to be able to say I ran in Hawaii!!!! HAHA!!!! And hopefully better than her (she is in Coast Guard, but running is her weakness).

Hope you all have a great night!!

Marie

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.....it is about learning how to dance in the rain!"

"The task ahead of you is never greater than the strength within you." - unknown

"Character gets you out of bed; commitment moves you to action. Faith, hope and discipline enable you to follow through to completion."

Began C25K 4/11/10 - have NEVER run in my life!!!!...C25K on hold with a knee injury

Soon to start Jeff Galloway's training program for women

• RunningIndigo Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 24, 2009
    14. Mar 25, 2010 7:29 AM (in response to Sylvia1960)

Hey there! Thank you for starting this post! I'm actually not doing C25K, but I am following WW...I did C25k a few months back, but stopped. Then I just jumped in and started running/walking with my BFF. She actually runs and she's encouraged me to do the 5ks you see in my sig. So I'm doing pretty good with my running/walking right now (about 1mi/day), but I'm starting to train (started last Fri) to RUN a full 5k on April 24, 2010!!
    I had my first official weigh in at a meeting this past Saturday. I signed up online for the monthly pass, weighed myself at home and weighed 201lbs. That was on March 14. I weighed in at the meeting on March 20 and was already down 2.4lbs! I was so excited. Last week I also picked up the frequency of my runs. Since I'm fairly new to running, I begin running and about 15mins into the run I have to walk. But I only walk for about 1min. Then I start running again.
    Since being back on WW, I'm loving being able to add all of those activity points!!
    I don't have any tips at this time since I'm just starting to get my feet wet again with WW, but I would love to hear each of your tips.

Good luck to each of you!!!

~Run Girl Run~

1st 5k
    Nov. 22, 2009:  NC State WTA, Raleigh NC

Time: 48m17s
    2nd 5k
    Dec. 12, 2009:  Reindeer Romp 5K, Jamestown NC

Time: 44m38s1
    Pace: 14:23/M
    3rd 5k
    Jan. 1, 2010: Resolution Run 5k, Greensboro NC
    Time: 45:32