Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4818 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2010 4:56 PM by Francessmom 1 2 Previous Next
catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
Sep 12, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 21, 2010 10:33 PM

Run-Away Parents 3/22/10

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me regarding the race.

Tracy, congratulations! It was fun to read about your race.

Has anyone seen Kangoo Jumps? I saw two ladies wearing them and they were wearing compression t-shirts advertising their Kangoo Jumps. They looked very unstable to me. Our 8 y/o ds said one of the ladies fell going over the finish line in her Kangoo Jumps. Dh, an attorney, says he doesn't think it's fair for someone to wear them in a race. I don't think I could wear them. They remind me too much of high heels, which I never wear. I am only 5' 3" and I feel silly standing high in the air. Check them out at http://www.kangoojumps.com/doc1.htm. They're only $249 and up.

Welcome, Liz. My husband told me that there were  of racewalkers that finished ahead of our 10 y/o son and I. I replied, "Oh, we expect that. It's happened in all three races." Tee hee.

I feel you on the S. FL heat. I bought wicking clothing soon after I started running at the end of last year.

I will never be at the top of my age group but I was pleased to see the updated race results and learn that I finished 39 of 61 in my group.  My goal is always to beat my previous time. I must say it was nice to be passing others and not to be at the back of the pack.

I'm still icing the inflammed flesh on the side of my knee. It only hurt for one minute during the race.  It's not worse when I run on it. Still, I think I will not run on Monday. I'm not sure about Wednesday Hmmmm.... I talked to a man behind a booth for a LRS. He also thinks that the inflammation is due to the fartleks I did a couple of week ago. Too much too soon he said.

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Mar 22, 2010 6:49 AM (in response to catsrcul)
    Re: Run-Away Parents 3/22/10

Karen- Those Kangojumps look silly.  I never heard of them before but I think I'll pass.  They look even worse than heelies. I can't imagine running a race in them.  I would imagine that is asking for injury because it has to put pressure in the ankles and top of foot.  Hmm well each to their own right.

Liz- Welcome! I also know what you mean about the heat.  I am now in OH but before we were stationed in San Antonio TX.  Before that I was in Albuquerque NM.  Both places get well above 100 and TX had the humidity to add.  I must say I miss the SW winters though.

Taking this week off with no exercise has made me realize running is HUGE in my life.  Everything was affected.  I couldn't eat right no matter how hard I tried.  I couldn't sleep.  I was grumpy, probably from the lack of running and poor sleep.  My energy level was extremely low and even my bowels got off.  My ankle is still not feeling any better .  I took the boys on a bike ride yesterday and it was hurting then.  We only did 4 miles yet I was noticing it.  I really wanted to run today but I have my doubts.  I know the doctor said I could, but if it hurts while riding a bike than......  I'll let you know what I decide.

TyKy

• RunInPeace Amateur 34 posts since
    Jan 8, 2010
    2. Mar 22, 2010 8:24 AM (in response to TyKy)

Hello Everyone! Sorry I've been a bit MIA-it was a whirlwind weekend.

Karen- Wonderful Wonderful! Awesome job on your race! I love how involved your kids were, and what a great bag.   Thanks for telling us all about it, and take care of that knee.

Marie- The campfire sounds like so much fun. I'm glad that your shin still feels pretty good after the run, and i can't wait to hear about your race this weekend.

Tracy M-  Great job girl! I LOVE the name Big Bertha for a hill....lol...think i had a distant cousin by that name..heehee.  Your split times are sooo fast. Seriously, if you are a turtle, I am a snail. 2nd in your age group is ROCKIN'!!! Congrats.

Rebecca-  Impressive 10 miles! Force yourself to cut back if you have to...we want you to stay healthy!

Liz- Welcome! I am a new runner, so I mainly use races for motivation right now. I've only signed up for 5ks so far, but may get the nerve to do a 10k one day.

TYKY-Big hugs-I can "hear" your frustration in your post. You know your body best, and it's great that you are listening to it.

Emily- If you are reading this, let us know how you are doing!

DoctorTy-Did you run this weekend?!

This weekend we celebrated my daughter's 3rd birthday, and it was fun...tiring..but fun. Mainly family and a few friends. She had a ball, and is growing up way too fast. I managed to get in an outside run on Saturday morning with the dog! 5 miles...slow tough ones, because it had been  4 days since I had run..ugh. I was pretty sore afterwards. This morning I got in a 2.5 mile treadmill run before I had to stop. I think I needed an easy run after the 5 miles...lol. But I'm glad I got something in.  I am feeling some frustration towards my body and the scale, and I am trying not to let it take over and make me quit. I am 5'3" , and develop muscle pretty easily, I remember TYKY saying the same thing once. BMI charts just are not easy for me to go by because of my muscle content, but I do have 20 pounds I want to lose. I can tell my hips have gone down, and I am toning up, but I have gained weight and it's pissing me off. I can rationalize and understand why sometimes, but then I jsut get frustrated all over again. I have been using food journal apps on my phone, and I started running in November. I know, not alot of time. I know there are no easy answers, just wanted to get it out and vent to feel better. Thanks ladies! I love having you to talk to.

Tracy P.

2010 Races:

February 28, 2010-Love the Run You're With 5k (rescheduled from the 14th) 37:26

April 2010- Ft. Belvoir Spring Has Sprung 5k

Please keep Haiti in your thoughts and prayers

• TBMcKay Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    3. Mar 22, 2010 10:54 AM (in response to catsrcul)

Hey everyone~

Happy Monday!!  I ran a pretty easy 4.5 miles this morning.  My same ankle was feeling a little wierd, so I didn't push it.  There is no pain, just some small twinging, almost like it just wants me to be aware of it.  Great, now my feet are talking to me!  I put my ankle brace on after my run, just to be on the safe side.  Hopefully it wont progess into anything- less than 6 weeks until my half!!!

I was wondering if any of you ever feel like an imposter when someone calls you a runner, or if you tell someone your a runner.  I've only been running for a little over a year, but feel proud of myself that I have stuck with it.  But I still feel like I'm not really a runner yet, that I would have to run for years before I can call myself a runner.  What do you guys think??  I'm curious to your opinions of what you consider a "runner" to be.  My sister in law thinks it means you enter races, but I don't necessarily agree with that.  Because there are runners out there who have been running their whole lives and have never enter a race.

Anyways~

TyKy~  I'm sorry your ankle is still bothering you.  Does regular walking hurt, maybe you could try a "power walk" instead of your runs for this week, maybe get the distance in but not put as much pressure on your ankle?  Seems wierd that the Dr. would tell you it's okay to run, if it's painful.  Doesn't sound like the normal diagnosis.

Tracy P.~ Great job getting your run in even with a birthday party to deal with.  You are stronger than I, I believe I skipped my run that day!  Easy 2.5 is perfect after a longer run, call it a recovery run from a long/hard run.  You'll be happy you did it.

Karen~  The Kangoo Jumps are CRAZY!!  I've never seen them before, I can't imagine running a race in them.  They probably would give you an advantage in a race, because your stride would be longer.  I thought $125 was a lot of running shoes, don't think I'll be paying $250!!

Happy Running All!!

~Rebecca

2010 Events

1/23  Winter Predictor -13K - 1:19:15

5/2   Eugene -Half Marathon

6/26  Pacific Crest -Half Marathon

10/10  Portland -Marathon

Dec 14, 2007
    4. Mar 22, 2010 4:55 PM (in response to catsrcul)

I was hesitant but decided to give running a try.  I remember Rebecca started with 5 to 1's when starting again and thought that would be a good place to start.  Well it wasn't good nor horrible either.  Yes I am frustrated and sorry if I am taking it out on you guys.  This injury doesn't make any since.  For example last week when I ran the 5.5 miles it didn't hurt while running at all.  That evening I was driving, put my foot on the break, and cringed with the pain.  Then I got out of the truck and it was fine.    It always does this.  One minute it'll hurt really bad and the next be fine.  After reading last weeks posts I am a bit nervous that something is stuck in there.  Like suggested maybe scar tissue or a cyst.   Its kind of scary when you have two doctors say "I don't know."  I pray the MRI will give us some clues and then I have a quick rode to recovery.

On the bright side I signed up for my 1st race yesterday!  I am going to do the USAF half marathon here in OH in Sept.  All I can say is my ankle better be better by then.  I told my husband even if I have to walk the entire thing I will.  I have been running for over 2 years and never raced before.  So between now and then I will do a 5k and a 10k just to get the race "feeling."  The reason I signed up for the race is because before he left my husband and I decided I needed a goal to work towards when he was gone.  This is what we came up with.  Plus it got him to buy the treadmill I have been wanting for a while! 

Tracy P- Thanks for the hugs!!!    Today is just one of those days with the kids and life.  My husband suggested I go get a bottle of wine and watch a chick flick after the kids go to bed.  I normally don't drink, but I went to the store and bought some cause they were getting to me so badly today.  Plus it seems as if this last week life had an objective to stress me.  Hopefully this week will be better.  I fully understand your battle with the scale.  It is so frustrating.  When I first started working out I would loose weight for 2 weeks then gain in the 3rd.  Like you my measurements were getting smaller, but that muscle mass was adding up.  Even now people never guess how much I weigh.  They are always lower by about 20 lbs which makes me feel better.  You'll get to a point where you feel comfortable and healthy.

Rebecca- I hope your ankle doesn't start causing me the stress mine is.  Its great you can hear it talking though.  I read once that the true test of an athlete is to not only hear what the body is saying but to also listen.  Many people never even hear what is being said.  As for being a runner like you said everybody has a different perspective.  I had a trainer tell me once "a runner is somebody who goes and and runs.  Doesn't matter how fast or far but that they do it."  Personally I just recently started feeling like a runner.  I've been running over 2 years, but what is converting me is thats how people introduce me now.  I can also have a conversation with a runner and not feel 100% intimidated.

• TMachen Pro 114 posts since
    Jul 22, 2009
    5. Mar 22, 2010 7:15 PM (in response to catsrcul)

I feel so blah today! It was good to read everyone's posts and reconnect. I didn't run today even though I supposed to do 5 miles. We visited my mother-in-law on yesterday to celebrate birthdays for  my 4 y/o and my neice. We didn't get home until late so I slept in, then it rained all day.   I better drag my hiney out of bed tomorrow and get my miles in or else!

I'm also totally frustrated with the scale. I'm eating between 1200-1500 calories each day and running. Could I lose at least a pound, please?? I haven't re-measured my offending parts (thighs and hips) because I don't want to be completely discouraged.

I did map out my 8 mile run for Saturday. It's an out and back with Big Bertha's grandma for a hill. If it doesn't kill me, it will make me stronger! lol!

I have to head to bed but wanted to at least stop in and say hi to everyone!

~ Tracy

My blog about Life and other stuff

Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.

Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

~Ovid

Oct 5, 2009
    6. Mar 23, 2010 6:52 AM (in response to catsrcul)

Hey Gals~

I ran 3 miles this morning, I wa suppose to work on speed but I am not 100% confident in my ankle right now.  I just ran slow and steady 10 min miles.  There was some slight pain in the ankle this morning, kind of started and went away.  Then there was some pain in my heel which seems out of no where but whatever.  So, I did finish becasue it was such a short day.  I'm icing it now and have my ankle brace sitting here for when I'm done with the ice.  Already doubled up on the advil, so hopefully just some caution with help it out.   Tomorrow is my cross training day then I run Thursday.  I was think I would run late Thursday and maybe skip the cross training that would give my foot almost 3 full days of rest between now and the next run.  We'll see.... I know I don't want to make it worse but if it isn't hurting then I need to keep running.

You girls were talking about "scale" problems- and I have been having the exact problem.  I'm also eating between 1200-1500 calories a day and running and I've gain 3 pounds since I bumped up my training for a half marathon.  I've been trying to convince myself that it is muscle mass but I have gone up 1 or 2 % in body fat also, so that doesn't make sense.  I can't cut my calories any more with running, someone suggested more intense cross training workouts.  Right now I'm just biking, which can't burn too many calories.  I don't know, I need to start trying to accept myself for the way I am.  I work very hard to stay a consistent healthy weight, my entire family, and I mean everyone over the age of about 15 is overweight.  Some seriously overweight.  I get my genes from my dad, but he passed away a long time ago, so I was given a better start from the beginning.  But my baby sister is more than double my weight and my mom is the same weight as her.  My friends have told me that I'm over sensitive about my weight becuase I'm afraid of losing control and winding up like the rest of my family.  I feel like I have to stay healthy for my babies and that is important to me.  Running has given me a way to stay healthy and relieve stress which I love- I just wish I it would make my thighs smaller not bigger! 

Tracy~ Way to take the day off!!!  We all need one sometimes!  I'm excited to here about your 8 miles this weekend.  I believe that is what I'm running also, but I will probably hit the treadmill this weekend.

TyKy~ You ankle ups and downs sound so fustrating!  I'm sorry you're having to go through this.  But I'm SO excited for you that you signed up for a half marathon!!!  How fun for you and a great goal!!!  I like your opinion about being a "runner." Different perspective coming from someone who has been running for awhile but never raced.  I agree, that once I for actually respond to what a fartlek was I felt more like a runner! 

Well, I'm  off for the day.  My mom is a 5th grade teacher and on spring break, so I'm taking my kiddos to her for school today.  They love it!

Happy Tuesday!!

~Rebecca

2010 Events

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    7. Mar 23, 2010 9:10 AM (in response to TBMcKay)

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

I'm just getting into running.  I've hit a wall walking.

I've been using the POSE Method.  I shaved three minutes off my last event time!

I've been thinking about how to incorporate it into the 5K I have coming up next month (For now, I think I'll walk the straightaways and hit the afterburners at the mile markers. )

Karen:  I can't imagine someone doing a 5K in those Kangoo Jumps (They look more like Moon Shoes. )

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    8. Mar 23, 2010 10:59 AM (in response to TBMcKay)

Hello Runaways!

I am resting my lower leg this week.  After the run I did on Sunday, I was really hurting on Monday.  I did ice, rest, Motrin, etc.  It feels a little better today, but I don't want to jepordize my 5 K this Sunday.  So I hope to cross train with yoga, swimming and biking instead. Today is a big day!  We had our new countertop installed this morning!  It is beautiful! This afternoon I have to sign my baby up for Kindergarten !  Our district has full day K which I am not in favor of.  They really cater to the working parent.  When my 10 y/o began K, it was the first year of full day K.  i took her out at lunch everyday and taught her at home.  It worked great for us.  I am hoping I can do that with my Henry.  Today I will just sign him up - with the million peices of documnetation required!  I'll fight the half day battle another day.

Rebecca - I too am from an overweight family.  My father, his brother, and my paternal GF all died of heart attacks in their 40's.  Mymom, brother and I are the only ones in the family that try to eat right and exercise.  My bro is a vegetarian.  I am from a family of 7 sibs - one bro and 5 sisters. Since my dad died so young - my mom sometimes struggled to provide for us.  So when food was available, we ate as much as we could.  I was pretty active as a child and didn't gain weight until high school.  By then my mom had a good job and most of my siblings were out of the house so food was plentiful.  Plus family gatherings tended to be food orgies. In many ways they still are.  It was very difficult at family gatherings to find healthy foods.  Holidays were spent sitting around someone's house eating and drinking to excess.  My two oldest sisters both joined Weight Watchers recently and are trying to lose weight and exercise.  So now, there are more healthy options, and we try to incorporate an after dinner walk into family events.  my oldest sis runs on a treadmill daily, bu t I can't get her to do a 5 K with me. Beacuse of my family's diet history,  I had to completely change the way I thought about food in the last few years.  Now, I think about what my body needs (lean protein, fruits and veggies) rather than what just tastes good (fries, cake, cookies).  But it is still a consious decision everyday to eat right.  I want to be around for a long, long time!

Tyky - Hang in there!  I am thinking that I may have to go see a doc soon for my shin.  I feel your pain!

Taake care everyone!

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Mar 23, 2010 11:07 AM (in response to catsrcul)

Hi runaways,

I am doing so much better today.  I swear its because I ran yesterday!!!  Not running really puts me in a funk.  I am scheduled to run 2 miles today, but decided to take it easy and rode 3.5 on the bike.  I figure I'll run every other day and bike more until my MRI.  I'll only run no more than 4 miles each time.  That way I keep some conditioning but my body is not taking the normal pounding it normally does.  Last week with no exercise I gained 2 lbs.    I tried to watch what I ate, but obviously it was not good enough.  Ya know I imagine that all women have issues with their weight.  I am not fully comfortable with my body, but I am doing better.  One thing that helped me change my perspective was seeing Shawn Johnson at the Olympics.  She is a wonderful athlete but has a high body mass.  Some of us gals are just built like that.

Tracy-  Big Bertha makes us stronger.  LOL that is great!!!  Next time I'm going up a hill I'm gonna think "Bertha make me stong!"

Rebecca-  For me running is a time where I get to be alone and not worry about anybody else.  Its the one thing I do 100% for myself.  I do try to improve and keep track of races against myself, but I've always been scared that if I start racing I'll loose that perspective.  I like going out and running 10 miles because its relaxing and fun.  Not worrying about how I look, or if I'm to slow ect.ect.ect......  I also find it funny since I have stated training for this half marathon I have gotten injured and re-injured.  Last fall I ran 10 miles at a 9:40 pace and didn't get injured once.  Now I'm running 5 miles and saying ouch.

Liz- Again welcome to the runaways!  Its great to have you join us.  I'm sure you have picked up on this, but we are a group of parents at different running abilities.  We tend to share the joys and concers of both being parents and running.  I have never heard of POSE before so I can't offer any help.  Sorry.  Your plan sounds good though.   Sorry to run and cut it short.  Hubby just got on the computer for our daily chat.

• RunInPeace Amateur 34 posts since
    Jan 8, 2010
    10. Mar 23, 2010 1:31 PM (in response to TyKy)

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Rebecca-  That's a  great "runner" question. I have only been running since November, and  struggle with calling myself a runner. I know I shouldn't, though,  because I enjoy it, and I miss it when I can't do it. I have done it on  treadmills and outside, with the proper shoes and gear, and I've run a  race. But I don't have the speed, or the "runner's body"...lol. Do I  need these things to be a runner. No. So am I am runner? I'm definitely  on my way.... I also have the same type of family  history. They are Southern and Creole, so everything is fried and/or  sauced. Health problems and obesity are prevalent. Ever see that movie Soul Food?  They tend to look at  me a little sideways because I have always been a more active family  member, and now I am running and attempting to eat differently. I have  always given natural or organic foods to my kids, but haven't always  been as kind to myself.It's just a daily struggle.

TYKY-  Congrats on signing up for the half!  That's a very brave move in my book. I am so intimidated by that  distance. I know you'll do great! I really hope you find some answers  with your MRI.

Tracy M-  I'm so relieved to  know that someone understands the struggle with the evil scale..lol. I  really envy your ability to conquer hills...I can't wait until I am at  that point in my running.

Marie-  Yay on the  countertops! Our contractors are still here daily and I am to the point  where I just want the end result already.Kindergarten is such a huge milestone isn't it? From the point of view of a Kindergarten teacher and a parent, I actually prefer the full day. As a teacher, I felt as if I had more time with my students and I could spend more time on their individual needs. My oldest started this year, and as a parent, it was so hard to get used to him being gone all day....I missed him!  But he loves it, so that helps. I hope you are able to do what's best for your family

I'm off to finish work on crocheting 2 christening blankets and booties. I have an online crochet business, and crocheting and running help keep me sane. Well...semi-sane.

Have a great evening!

Tracy P.

2010 Races:

February 28, 2010-Love the Run You're With 5k (rescheduled from the 14th) 37:26

April 2010- Ft. Belvoir Spring Has Sprung 5k

Please keep Haiti in your thoughts and prayers

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    11. Mar 23, 2010 9:30 PM (in response to TyKy)

TyKy wrote:

Liz- Again welcome to the runaways!  Its great to have you join us.  I'm sure you have picked up on this, but we are a group of parents at different running abilities.  We tend to share the joys and concers of both being parents and running.  I have never heard of POSE before so I can't offer any help.

That's OK.

Not a parent per se, but I do like to talk running/walking.  Y'all sound like nice people.

More about the POSE Method:

POSE Method -- Introduction

POSE Method -- Trail running in Australia

POSE Method -- Detailled Instruction

You're running on the balls of your feet (make sure to keep your toes curled up as you run).  This minimizes your heels' contact with the ground.

The balls of your feet, your ankles, hips, and shoulders should be in alignment with one another.  (Stand up straight and look straight ahead.  Maintain good posture.)  Keep your ankles and the balls of your feet underneath your hips.

As you move, let your body weight propel you forward.  Your movement should be light, almost springy.  (You can practice running in place with this method. )

When most people run, they strike the ground heel-first.  All their body weight is being concentrated on the heel with each step (this can lead to shin-splints, heel spurs, torn ligaments, etc. -- all the injuries that runners are prey to).

It's not complicated, but it does take some practice the first few times out (You'll feel it in your calves for a while -- most people never really develop those muscles.  Hill climbs are great for strengthening those muscles in particular.)  The pain should subside as your calf muscles grow stronger.

As the clip from Australia should show, this technique is all about economy and efficiency of movement.  It's designed to be something akin to running barefoot.

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

Oct 5, 2009
    12. Mar 24, 2010 6:50 AM (in response to catsrcul)

Hey All~

No running for me today, crosstraining day.  I'll go to the gym this evening after my husband gets home from work.  But I DO have a question for all of you moms, and it fits in quite well with Marie and her Kindergarten concerns, and someone said they were a kindergarten teacher, Tracy P??  Well, it's a kindergarten question!!!     My youngest son will turn 5 July 6th.  He is extremely shy!!  Will only talk to his grandparents, my sister (not my sister's husband), his uncles (not my sister-in-law though), and one family that we are pretty close to.  No one else, no other family members or people in a store, no way!!  He has been taking swim lessons for almost 2 years and has had the same teachers that whole time, there are 4 or 5 teachers that are always in the pool but might rotate which lesson they are teaching.  He still wont talk to any of them.  Besides the shy he is also extremely stubborn.  The stubborness is where we are running into a problem with him and homeschooling.

My oldest son loves to learn and grasps information very quickly, so teaching him has been a breeze and I will continue to keep him at home.  But my other son isn't the same.  He is still struggling to remember his ABC's and numbers, I would have to pin him down to do more than 5 mins of work at a time, and he chooses to color crazy scribbles and never in the lines, not sure if he can color in the lines but he doesn't.   On the other side I've been trying to change the way we are teaching him and it is defiantly helping!!!  I've seen huge improvements over the last couple months.  BUT, I personally think he is no where near ready for kindergarten, and my husband of course thinks he is fine and we sure just throw him in and figure it out from there.   We both agree that because of the social issues he has that he needs to go to school and not stay home.  I think he should start with a 5 day preschool before he heads to kindergarten.  We also have a full day kindergarten at the private school we are looking at, the other private school offers a half day.  We like the school where there is full day better, but I really don't think he is ready for that.  I really don't feel like emotionally and intellectually he is ready for kindergarten, but I'm afraid that I am holding him back because he is my baby.  Well, my baby boy.  Anyways, I would just love some imput or experiences you all might have had on a situation like this.  I was hoping to find someone who would test him to see if he is ready for kindergarten, but they don't really do that here anymore, and I'm sure he wouldn't pass because he is so shy he will just sit there and not talk to the person testing him.  Help Me firgure it out!!!!!

Liz~ Welcome, I will have to look up the POSE method, I'm curious.  Sounds like something I might trip and fall on my face trying, but I'm going to look it up so I know where you are coming from.

Marie~ Yay New Cabinets!!!!  You'll have to post a picture when it's all done.  Thanks for saying what you did about your family and eating, sounds familiar!  We too are trying to promote an eat to live, not live to eat philosophy in our home.  My oldest has inheritate the heavy genes, and has been a heavier kiddo since birth, so we try so had to focus on healthy activities and eating.

TyKy~ I'm happy that your easy run made you feel so much better.  Easy runs and biking sound perfect between now and your MRI.  I have the ankle injury that I got during my half marathon training.  I've since been told by several people and done some research about training plans.  I've found some studies done that show you should only train for the event in the specified weeks that it shows.  Like a 16 week half marathon training should be done in 16 weeks, so you don't "overtrain."  I had 24 weeks to do my 16 week program and I burnt out and got injuried at 18 weeks in.  I was trippling weeks and adding distance on my long run and now I guess that was a no-no.  Not tell you how to train, just found that interesting.  If your half isn't until September, maybe you should back off a bit for awhile then work up to it when it's time.

Tracy P~ I want to see this crocheting website!!!!

Have a good Wednesday all.... it's wednesday right??  I'm not sure

~Rebecca

2010 Events

Dec 14, 2007
    13. Mar 24, 2010 10:08 AM (in response to TBMcKay)

Rebecca-

Being a parent is full of hard decisions.  I often wish that an owners manual came with each child at birth.  All we can do is is pray, educate ourselves and be encouraging.  I really admire how you are willing to accommodate each of your children.  My son is now in the 2nd grade and also a summer birthday.  I will say that I have noticed a huge difference socially between the children who have a school year b-day vs a summer b-day.  Before my son entered K I worried about this, and to be honest I still do.  In fact his teacher this year wants him to skip a grade and I said no because he is already the youngest in his class.  Anyway, here are some thoughts for you.  I personally like the full day Kinder.  I am always a parent to helps out in the class room.  With this I have noticed the kids in full day kinder tend to get more 1 on 1 attention simply because there is more time.  After I have been in the classroom for a while and the kids are comfortable the teachers tend to send 2-4 kids with me to the library.  Several times it has just been my having a different "teaching" style for the kids to understand, or having it explained to just them.  I would also visit the different kinder teachers and see how they teach.  From there you can request a specific teacher whom your child will work best with.  Since you do home school if you can find the time I'm sure your sons teacher would welcome your help.  This may also make the transition easier for you son.  Coloring in the lines is not such a big deal.  I used to stress about this also, but it has come down to my son does not like to color.  Instead I have had to find other ways for him to learn this technique.  One being finger paints.  He loved that.  Also we got tracing paper and let him trace his favorite characters.  It was his kinder teacher who helped me with this.  As for the 5 day pre-k program I would have concerns.  Again you know your son best, but if he really is that shy it may not be the best for him.  It could be to much change and then have him worried about going into K.  I hope this helps you some.  I'll be praying for your family in that you make the best decision for you son.

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010
    14. Mar 24, 2010 1:04 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Hi ladies,

So many thought-provoking posts this week!  I can't respond to all, too little time and space! 

Karen,  great job with your race!  Your pace is really improving.  I like your goal of racing against your previous times.  My second 5K is this weekend, and I am not sure if I can match my time from the last one.   By the way, those Kangoo Jumps do seem like they would be an unfair advantage in a competitive race.  I think I've seen them in a commercial for something unrelated, a bunch of people in business suits in a big city were wearing them to walk to work.   They look downright bizarre.

TyKy, I'm glad you've been able to get out a little.  My friend sent me this article written by a mom who had to take time off running, titled "Hell Week: What happens when a runner-mother doesn't get to exercise her demons?" It made me laugh, because it rang true for me last week, when I missed a run and nearly bit my children's heads off.  Here's the link:  http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-243-297--13439-0,00.html#   I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Rebecca,  I loved your "runner" question.  I have only been running since January, yet I consider myself a runner.  For me, that means that running is more than just a way to stay in shape.  It may have started that way for me, but it has become something meditative and integral in my life.  I certainly would classify myself as a Beginning Runner, because I have a lot to learn, but I think it's more of a mental state than anything else.  With the question about your son and kindergarten, I know a lot of parents who have held off on starting their children whose birthdays are close to the deadline, particularly when the children are boys, with excellent results.  There is a difference in social maturity between boys and girls at that age.  If you are worried, you might think about placing him in a preschool environment where he can get the socialization without as much pressure to perform.  Both of my brothers were fall babies (back then the cutoff was Dec.1) and they were both held back before kindergarten.  They both excelled in school academically and socially.  Definitely check out the kindergarten programs, but don't rule out the preK.  I'm sure you'll find the right solution to suit him.

Liz, Welcome!  Thanks for the info on POSE running.  I was just reading about ChiRunning, and it sounds like both are attempts to get to a more organic style of running.  If it prevents injuries, it is worth looking into!!  I see that you are racing in the Tampa area.  My neighbor and I are trying to find a fun half marathon somewhere in Florida, and she had suggested the Women's Half Marathon and 5K in St Pete on November 21.  Personally, I'm leaning toward the Epcot Wine'n'Dine in October, but I'll let you know if we head down that way!

What is up with us and our weight issues?  Why can't we just look in the mirror and say "this body is strong and capable" and be happy with it?  I keep trying that mantra, but it doesn't make me feel any better about my mummy tummy, or about my 23-year-old sister in law who wears the same size I do, but makes little comments about my pregnancy weight.  Arrrrggghh.  Say it with me, ladies!  We are all strong and capable. 

My second 5K is on Saturday.  This is a much smaller race than my first, so I am interested to see what an "average" race is like.  My daughter has a soccer game that morning, so no kids at the finish line this time, but I do have a few friends running so I think it will be fun.

I really enjoy you ladies and your advice / inspiration / smiles!  I hope you all are having a lovely week!

Ali

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...