Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3738 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2010 5:41 AM by jjphilippon 1 2 Previous Next
omlittrell Rookie 6 posts since
Feb 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 22, 2010 11:29 AM

sudden drop in performance. overtraining?

I'm recently very perplexed by a sudden drop in my endurance, speed, all  of the above.
I recently picked up the chi running book and found  some good techniques which have improved my distance. I had a brief bout  of improvement (i'm pretty new to running). But I'm only doing about 16  miles/week, ~9.5-10 min/mile usually four non-consequtive days a week  with a pretty vigorous spin class on the in between days.Usually 5 days  of cardio a week at app 40 minutes each.  Do lower body strength  training once a week, weighted squats, deadlifts and other strength  training 3 days a week.

Problem: got on the treadmill mid week  to do my usual four miler and couldn't make it over a mile and a half,  usual incline (1%) and pace (10 minute mile) as previous.  Nothing  specifically hurts just feel like I did when I first started running.

Recommendations/diagnosis  anyone?

I took off two days, no strength training or cardio  and tried to run again and still cannot.
Help, its sunny out and i'd  like to be out there enjyoing it!

• aj01 Pro 143 posts since
    Jul 8, 2008
    1. Mar 23, 2010 2:36 PM (in response to omlittrell)
    Re: sudden drop in performance. overtraining?

Is it that you're out of breath, sore, or just don't feel like running?  Try going a little slower than normal.  Maybe your body is fighting off a bug or something.

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    2. Mar 23, 2010 6:14 PM (in response to omlittrell)

The number one principle of ChiRunning is to listen to what your body is telling you. Form first. Then distance. Then speed. You're way too new to be worried about speed; even distance will take a long time, after solidifying your form.

If you suspect you're overdoing it with all the cross-training plus running, then you probably are. But also remember, we all have bad days, or even bad spells. Stressing out about it only makes it worse! What's that other ChiRunning principle? Oh yeah -- RELAX!

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    3. Mar 23, 2010 8:17 PM (in response to omlittrell)

Could also be dehydration. There are a lot of articles about this on the web, but the general bottom line is that as little as 2% loss of body weight due to dehydration can cause your performance to drop significantly.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• runonair3446 Amateur 33 posts since
    Jul 31, 2006
    6. Mar 24, 2010 7:10 AM (in response to omlittrell)

Some excellent idea's and suggestions for you to consider... In your original post, you said were fairly "new" to running and that you are only running about 16 miles a week.. My question/s would be, just how long ago did you add running to your program?  And, how long have you been consistently running the 16 miles a week? Knowing that might help pinpoint your situation. TJ

Planned Races (so far)

June 06, 2010 -  RNR Half Marathon- San Diego

Jan. 16, 2011 - PF Chang RNR Marathon- Phoenix

Goals

Forever keeping running fun!

BQ in 2011

Run a 50 mile Ultra

• debbie voiles Amateur 16 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    8. Mar 24, 2010 7:40 AM (in response to omlittrell)

Definitely sounds like you're not giving your  body enough recovery time. Strength training is intense muscle work. If you do that on your non-running days, your legs will be fatigued during runs, especially if you are looking at speed. You need to completely overhaul  what you're doing when. Cross training is great, but if you do intense cross training on your easy run days or non-run days, your runs will gradually be more difficult. I have several podcasts on iTunes and on my site that explain the appropriate training philosophy. Run four or five days a week with one of them being considerably longer to build distance. Always alternate hard/easy days to allow your body to recover, which allows it to get stronger. If you push your body hard every day, it will gradually get weaker, and you will eventually become injured because you're not allowing it to rebuild/repair. The biggest mistake new runners make is failing to consider recovery. Keep your easy days easy, not matter what, especially in the beginning. do all your intense training on your harder run days. Your runs will actually be better. Sometimes less is more. Spinning is GREAT, but it is very intense. I would do it on the same day as you run. See if giving your legs a very easy day every other day fixes the problem. I think it will. Lots of details about how and when to increase speed in my free Mojo for Running podcast. I am an RRCA certified running coach with 30 years of experience.

Debbie Voiles

Attachments:

Debbie Voiles

MojoforRunning.com

Author of the eBook After Your First 5k

and the Mojo for Running Podcast on iTunes

Twittering at @mojoforrunning

• runonair3446 Amateur 33 posts since
    Jul 31, 2006
    9. Mar 24, 2010 8:09 AM (in response to omlittrell)

Couple of thoughts... Just taking a look at the basics of improving fitness, whether it's resistance or endurance training, is the stress-recovery-adaptation cycle... If you add a new workout or stress load and don't recover properly, performance will decline. On the contrary, if we allow sufficient recovery from added stress and the body adapts, we get stronger.. Sounds to me like you may have answered your own question-It may be the cumulative effect of all your workouts where your body is just not fully recovered... Are you getting enough sleep? Another thought is you may want to consider getting some blood work done just to cover any out of norm levels. Don't know if this helps-Good luck... TJ

PS: I totally agree with what Debbie just said-She explained it way better than I did!

Planned Races (so far)

June 06, 2010 -  RNR Half Marathon- San Diego

Jan. 16, 2011 - PF Chang RNR Marathon- Phoenix

Goals

Forever keeping running fun!

BQ in 2011

Run a 50 mile Ultra

• cmg_ Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 2, 2009
    10. Mar 24, 2010 7:37 PM (in response to omlittrell)

I'm going through this right now too!  I've been running for years and I've been struggling to run a mile the past couple of runs.  I've been running 10-15 miles a week for the past six months but I've been really struggling this week.  The only thing I can think  is causing this is training so much on a treadmill over the Winter that running outdoors has been really taxing on my legs.  Did you do most of your Winter running on a treadmill?  I've been running outside almost exlusively lately and that's really the only thing I've been doing differently.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    12. Mar 26, 2010 9:12 AM (in response to omlittrell)

But I'm only doing about 16  miles/week, ~9.5-10 min/mile usually four non-consequtive days a week  with a pretty vigorous spin class on the in between days.Usually 5 days  of cardio a week at app 40 minutes each.  Do lower body strength  training once a week, weighted squats, deadlifts and other strength  training 3 days a week.

If you're doing strength training AND spinning AND running, it is little wonder your legs are protesting!  It sounds like you are giving your legs a workout almost every day.  Sometimes less is more.  I've run for years without ever doing lower body strength training.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't be doing it, but it isn't strictly necessary for a casual runner.  Maybe try backing off on a couple of your workouts.  Running in and of itself will condition you for running.  If you want more running challenges to increase your speed you can try hill repeats or speedwork.  If you really want to do the lower body strength training, keep in mind that you need to rest your muscles for a day between workouts and that means vigorous spinning or running.

• cchelise Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009
    13. Mar 27, 2010 7:21 AM (in response to omlittrell)

Hey!

I have had this problem before too and the only thing that brought me out of the funk so to speak was doing some varied hill training. You can do it on the treadmill; some TMs have a specific hills setting that will adjust your speed as the incline increases accordingly. Usually I would set the incline to top out at about 4-5% and then set your highest speed to your usual pace, the 10 minute mile. Don't push it...just do a few sessions of about 20 minutes. Or you can try circuit training. Run for 10 minutes, then lift, then run and do situps and core etc etc. Usually for about 40-50 minutes. The work out goes by fast and you will feel it. Hope it helps!

• TVGuy07 Amateur 43 posts since
    May 14, 2006
    14. Mar 27, 2010 8:29 PM (in response to omlittrell)

You may want to see your Dr.

I had a similar issue. We found out that my iron was low.

I had been on Protonix for acid reflux, which seemed to be the cause of my anemia,

Good luck!

TVguy07

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points