Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

896 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 23, 2010 8:09 PM by crl8686
TrinsPop Amateur 34 posts since
Mar 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 23, 2010 7:31 PM

Calves/Shin tightness after stretching

Hi all,

Just had a question & wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen. It seems like when I do a full set of stretches( usually do the ones on the C25K sight), my hamstrings, back and everything do okay while I jog but my calves & along the outside  of my shins get REAL tight & miserable.

It sems to get a little better right after I start jogging and then tightens up into the run & gets worse on the recovery splits. I even slowed my jog down some & am trying to push off the middle of my foot. When I don't do all of the stretches that focus on the calves, I seem to do alot better with less cramping or tightening.

Any help would be welcomed !! Thanks in advance...Be Well...TJ

Daddy 1st, Hubby 2nd, everything else just matters only to make those possible & better !!! Trotting for a better, longer life !!! Be Well & Keep Striving!!!

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 23, 2010 8:09 PM (in response to TrinsPop)
    Re: Calves/Shin tightness after stretching

It sounds like you're stretching before you run, which is generally not a good idea. Stretching cold muscles (especially traditional "static" stretches) can lead to injuries. However, stretching after you run, when your muscles are warm, is much safer.

P. S. The March 2010 issue of Runners' World had an article on dynamic warmup stretching; according to the article, these can be done safely before running. The article's at

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html#

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points