Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1439 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2010 2:45 AM by DaveVause RSS
Swidu Rookie 4 posts since
Mar 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2010 9:17 AM

Can I keep running? Please Help!!

Hey..the clock is ticking..I am recovering from a strained peroneus Longus and cuboid issue (was running in the wrong shoes!!) I am not in pain now but it still gets tight sometimes..I am in the middle of training for a marathon and need to get back up to 15 miles this week. My last run was 9 Miles and I had to stop and massage the tendon a few times to loosen it up...can I keep going? Should I take the hills out of my training for a couple more weeks?This race means so much to me and I really dont want to drop it. I just want to know if someone else made it through training with this issue. Please!! Any comments will help. Thanks!

• jjksutton Pro 52 posts since
    Feb 20, 2010
    1. Mar 25, 2010 2:50 PM (in response to Swidu)
    Re: Can I keep running? Please Help!!

How long have you been training?  How much time do you have until the race?  How long were you out for injury?

Are you trying to get to 15 miles total or run a 15 mile long run?  If you're trying to get to 15 miles total then I'd say a 9 mile run is probably too long for a long run day.  I would think you'd be doing a long run of maybe 6-7 miles with a few shorter runs. 

If you're going to a 15 mile long run then it seems like that would be too much of an increase from the previous long run of 9 miles.

If your body is sending you messages you should listen.  I've pushed too hard to come back from injury in the past and paid for it.  I'm sitting here icing my knee as I type.  I'm building my training base back up much more slowly than I'd like, but I think it will end up being best in the long run. 

Coming back too hard, too fast will end up just putting you on the sideline longer.  I think you should cut back your training to a point where you can complete it without a significant amount of pain.  To me, having to stop to loosen a muscle, tendon, etc during a run to be able to continue is an indicator that you're going too far, too fast.

If you went to a doctor/PT for your last injury I think you should ask them.  I can tell how badly you want to make this upcoming marathon, and that can cloud your judgement.  Have you considered doing a run/walk for the marathon?  That would possibly give you the best chance for finishing...unless you have specific time goal.

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Mar 26, 2010 6:53 AM (in response to Swidu)

2 week's rest and healing now could prevent an injury that could knock you out of running for 2 months or more later.....

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Mar 31, 2010 2:45 AM (in response to Swidu)

Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...