Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

121890 Views 485 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 12:28 PM by runningangelinvt Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 33 Previous Next
  • IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 31, 2010 2:25 PM (in response to gremlyn)
    Re: Any other slow, overweight newbie triathletes?

Hey there gremlyn

I'm glad you're loving it so far!!!

Don't worry about walking on the run. It's totally fine! Take care of yourself & keep us updated on your experience.

:-) Sara

p.s. I've finished LAST before... with a smile.

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

Jul 7, 2008
    16. Mar 31, 2010 2:32 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Wetsuit shopping is worse than shopping for jeans....

I'm 5'10 and finally found a men's suit that fit. But it was tough, my husband and I shopped at least 10 stores, even driving out of state to look at options.

My hubby found one right away, an Orca. That time the salesman actually asked each of us how much we weighed. I pretty much panicked, actually I get tense thinking about it now, women normally don't announce their weight to a stranger while standing in a store surrounded by men! Goodness!!!

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

• SharynLS Amateur 22 posts since
    Feb 7, 2010

I'm a fellow slow, overweight newbie triathlete checking in!   I am doing my first sprint tri on June 6th.  It is in SWFlorida....so at least I don't have to worry about finding a wetsuit!  I just need to find an outfit that fits, is comfortable and (I love how you said it....) doesn't scare the children!

The race I am doing is called the Naples Fitness Challenge and it does attract all kinds of athletes....from the elite that can finish the 5K, 12 mile bike ride and 1/4 mile swim in the Gulf in 48 minutes to people like myself who hope to be finished with the 5K and on the bike in 48 minutes!!

I go from being very excited and feeling strong and proud of myself for attempting this to moments of sheer panic and terror in thinking....what the heck am I doing!

We have two months to get ready......so let's go!!!!

I look forward to hearing more from you and your journey!

Moe’s Firecracker 5K 2008 – 50:07:14

John Clay 5K 2008 – 50:30

Pilot Club 5K 2008 – 49:45:44

Race for the Cure 3/13/10 - 49:39:12

http://community.active.com/people/SharynLS/blog

• jenniferwants2run Expert 46 posts since
    Apr 5, 2010
    21. Apr 8, 2010 10:03 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Jasmine,

Best of luck to you, and I will be following this thread and your progress!!  I'm also overweight (currently 212lbs) have lost 33 lbs but still have a long way to do, and it is my dream to do a sprint tri someday!  I am, however, further behind you in my training/progress.  I just started the C25K last week, and my hope is that I will be able to run a 5K in 2 months, and once that is accomplished, I will continue with my running, and start training on the swim and bike too.  I'm most nervous for the run, which is why I'm doing that part first.

You are an inspiration to me already, and I can't wait to follow this thread and read about your journey!!!

Started C25K - 4/1/12

245/158/130

• mooreyankeegirl Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 8, 2010
    23. Apr 8, 2010 12:37 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hey Everyone! I am 40 years old, 5'10" and 290 lbs., I have lost 50 pounds since Oct 2009 and am doing my first Tri-Super Sprint this coming Sunday April 11th. I am nervous but hopeful. I have only learned to swim in the past month but this was my goal for when I turned 40.  Congrats to all newbie's!! This for me is the start of a healthier second half of my life.

Jul 7, 2008

mooreyankeegirl Exciting,  race this weekend!!!! Have a great time & let me know how it feels crossing the finish line.

:-) Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

• ToniB-Tri Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 2, 2009

mooreyankeegirl, Good luck this weekend.  I am so excited for you, I can't wait to hear how you felt afterwards.  I am running my first in July and I think the nerves have started to kick in.  Good luck and enjoy the experience as you hit the finish line.

Jasmine1972, I feel the same way about training and losing weight.  I really thought I would see bigger results after training like I have for the last 3 weeks, but instead I gained a pound.  I think you might be right about my body think I am in survival mode.  I also thought maybe I was not eating enough, so I have increased my calorie intake this week to see if that makes a difference.  I have decided to put the scale away for a couple weeks.  Hopefully when I get on I will be pleasantly surprised...here to hoping =)

Thanks ladies for the inspiration to keep moving forward.  Toni

• Dlfngrl05 Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010

Good Morning,

I'm back and sounds like so many people are getting ready or starting their tri's...congratulations to each of you.  I will be signing up for my first one Oct 18, 2010 in San Diego, it's a super sprint/tri.  So far my training has been riding 10 - 12 miles each morning alternating between low inclines/flats and hills/flats and then on the weekends trying to get in at least 20 miles with a variety of flats/inclines and hills.  I'm also walking and this next week get back into the pool to work on my swimming endurance/technique. 

I'm really excited, this super tri will be coming on the back of me completing my first 525 mile California Classic Coast bike ride for the Arthritis Foundation Sept. 25 - Oct 2, it's from San Francisco to Santa Monica.  I've lost 125lbs over the past 15 months and with the cycling have started to get some tone and I'm hoping to lost an additional 40lbs this year.

Thanks for all the support, great tips and comments...I wish everyone a fantastic weekend and for those competing this weekend...BE STRONG AND GOOD LUCK...YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Kristina

California Coast Classic Bike Ride

Help me find a cure for Arthritis

http://cccsocal.kintera.org/kristinaburgos

• jenniferwants2run Expert 46 posts since
    Apr 5, 2010
    28. Apr 12, 2010 10:49 AM (in response to Dlfngrl05)

Just wanted to pop in and see how everyone is doing!!!  I'm so inspired by all of you, and hope to be training for a sprint tri starting in June (I finish my C25K June 4th).  I'll also have access to a pool starting in June too, which will be nice.  There is a sprint tri at the end of August that I'm keeping my eye on, but I'm too scared to sign up just yet!  If I keep losing weight at my current rate, I could possibly lose another 36lbs by then which would definitely be a big help!

How are you all doing??  Keep up the great work!

Started C25K - 4/1/12

245/158/130

• triluvnmom Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 26, 2008
    29. Apr 12, 2010 12:10 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

I noticed that you were asking about wet-suits, and that the store you went into wanted to know weight/height.  Most of the major companies have the weight/size recommendations online and they are really pretty accurate.  I have tried on a number of wet-suits and have purchased a long sleeve Blue Seventy and a short sleeved Zoot. I fit right in the recommended size they suggested.   Also, having someone there to help you step into them and get them adjusted really helps.  The store I purchased mine from had directions posted in the dressing room, and then the salesperson helped me fit it even better.

Congratulations on the weight loss!  Tri's are SO much fun and such a great way to stay motivated!!!!   I lost about 40 lbs training for my first tri and have kept it off and have become more toned and faster in my running the past year.  I used to run an 11 minute mile and can now run close to a 7 1/2 minute.  Just keep training!!!!!!

1 2 3 4 ... 33 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...