Skip navigation

117481 Views 485 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 12:28 PM by runningangelinvt RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33 Previous Next
  • lkt Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 13, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Apr 28, 2010 8:30 AM (in response to KathyG1718)
    Re: Any other slow, overweight newbie triathletes?

I swear it feels like I've read them all and many of them seem to be written by triathletes who assume everyone is gunning for Ironman.  That's why I enjoyed Williams' book.  She covers a lot of great information but manages to speak to her audience as one who remembers what it is like to be a newbie.

• oceangirl12 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 30, 2010
    46. Apr 30, 2010 5:07 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hi, I am so happy to have found this forum, so many of my questions have been answered as a newbie.  I would say I fit into the category as slow, overweight newbie I'm currently 5'7, 220lbs and I am planning on  doing my first triathlon at the beginning of August.  One of my first questions I have is, will three months be a realistic amount of time to train?  I'm about a week and a half into my training, I'm not really following a set program, I've just been running 1.5 miles and riding 2 miles 3 times a week for now.  My plan is to increase the days and mileage over the next three months and add swimming as well.  I've had people tell me there is no way it can be done in three months, so I was just wondering if it was realistic...  I sure hope it is possible

• oceangirl12 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 30, 2010
    48. Apr 30, 2010 6:30 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

oh thank you so much for that link!!  it's a sprint triathlon,  it's 300 yard swim, 9.5 mile bike, 3 mile run

• dlmk69 Rookie 6 posts since
    May 30, 2007

copngrat on your accomplishments.... did it get easier the more your did??? i just ran my first 5K it sucked it was hard. but i did it in36.22,

• corrietris Rookie 4 posts since
    May 3, 2010

I'm so happy to have found this forum!

I'm 5'6" and have gone from 245 lbs to 190 over the last year and a half. I got bored with my work out routine (seriously, how long can a person do the elliptical without going insane?) and decided to try a Tri. My first will be July 18th. I'm lucky to have a boss who has done several Ironmans and moonlights as a personal trainer to give me tips-and live in a very active "outdoorsy" community.

I've been training at the pool where I work and do 1000 yds-1600 yds two times a week, mountain bike 10-15 miles twice a week, and drag myself out to run 3 miles twice a week. I'm feeling very confident with the swim (1200 meters downstream in the Deschutes river) and ride, but the thought of running after all of that is terrifying. I'm wondering if I should be doing a bit more running to get ready, also wondering if I should be doing more road bike training. I don't own a road bike but have access to a hybrid at work (lucky enough to work in a resort with bike rentals)-which is what I'll probably ride for the tri.

Everyone here is very inspiring! It's good to know that I'm not alone in my fears and questions!

Corrie

• aprophet1 Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    51. May 4, 2010 5:19 AM (in response to corrietris)

How long is your race?  You need to do some bricks (bike then run)(you'll understand why it's called a brick once you do one).  I would recommend doing these on a day when you don't have a lot going on because you will be sore.  I would start by doing 5-10 mile bike ride, then 1-2 mile run and gradually increase it over the next couple of weeks so that your longest brick is 2 weeks before your event.  By doing this, you will get your body conditioned to changing from one activity to another.  It also makes it a little less scary to think about putting all three sports at one time.  I would also recommend finding a way to practice open water swimming (it can be very scary to look down and not be able to see the line on the bottom of the pool).  You will also want to practice your transitions so you know exactly what order you're going to do things on race day.  It makes a huge difference to practice.

• KORTIZ_VINCENTY Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 22, 2009
    52. May 4, 2010 3:41 PM (in response to aprophet1)

I wish this forumwas around about a year ago when I started training. Great to see it now.

I started @ 270 lbs last July just walking and riding a mountain bike 2 miles from home to work and back.My first tri was Mission Bay in October of 2009. This year I have raced a sprint (Tritonman), an Olympic (Lavaman) and just completed my first 70.3 last weekend (Wildflower). I am @ 203 lbs and looking to drop another 30-35 before I reach my target weight.

Training is an interesting beast- It has just as much to do with desire and availability of time as it does ability. I work a full time job as well as a second job three days a week and I still find time to put in at least 9-10 hours of training a week. What has helped facilitate this is a great support system made up of like minded people. Mine happens to be an incredible triathlon shop in Chula Vista called Pulse Endurance Sports. They offer free workouts throughout the week and the friendships I have made are incredible. Joining a triathlon club (like TCSD in San Diego) or even a running/ track club can be an invaluable asset.

Another asset is a good coach- somoene who knows what they are talking about but understands that you are not a feather light lifetime athelete with a resting heartrate of 40bpm. My coach understands my current limitations and speaks to me about realistic goals... all the while pushing me to greater fitness and form.

Of course this will all be based on what your goals are. If you are just looking to race a tri and get fit in the process then that is totally commendable. Other, like myself, get hooked. I have another olympic and three more sprints planned for this year before my last big race: Silverman 70.3 in November.

• RJinWY Amateur 23 posts since
    May 4, 2010

Gosh, it is nice to find this forum.  I am thinking of signing up for my first Sprint tri in August and have been looking at training programs.  I'll have to get the book suggested.  So glad to find others that are going to be slow!

• jeremy.ducote Rookie 1 posts since
    May 10, 2008

just found this post at the perfect time.  i'm 2 weeks into a 16 week beginner plan for finishing an olympic triathlon in September.  was an athlete in HS (football) then College and Grad School (cycling), but in past 8 yrs. w work, family etc., have gone from 185 to 285.  it was exciting to get started, but the drudgery is now setting in.  please keep up the posts and let me know how your training is coming.  everyone says they started somewhere and it's nice to know that we will be all having a party the back of the pack come race day.  good luck.

• KathyG1718 Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010

I was back in the pool last week for my first swim in 10 years. Whew! I was able to swim a good 35 minutes (although I had to stop occassionally to catch my breath). I seem to get out of a good breathing rythm with my freestyle stroke, not sure why. I plan on trying to swim 2x a week, run 2x a week, and bike 2x a week. I hope that helps with overall endurance and I think I'll work in those 'brick' training days on the 7th day. That is a great idea to do those. I guess I hadn't really thought about how my legs would feel.  I've just thought about overall condition. I hear so many people get nervous about and talk about the transitions that I was also starting to focus on that.

Nov 13, 2007
    57. May 5, 2010 8:30 AM (in response to KathyG1718)

Just a quick 'something to think about'.  As difficult as it is to take a rest when you're having fun, keep in mind as you are planning your training strategy to include a day of rest in your schedule.  Every official training program I've seen calls for at least one (and as you get older there are usually two).  Training seven days a week is a great way to end up burnt-out and/or injured.  Your body, especially when you're starting a new exercise program, needs time to repair muscles and adjust to the physical demands.  You don't have to veg out on the sofa but stepping away from the swim/bike/run routine (almost always after your hardest or longest workout) is usually a wise decision.

• KathyG1718 Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010
    58. May 5, 2010 8:35 AM (in response to lkt)

Good point. I was getting too gung ho! I just looked at the Hal Higdon plan too and 'Rest' is nicely centered in one block a week.

Nov 13, 2007
    59. May 5, 2010 8:50 AM (in response to KathyG1718)

100% respect Hal Higdon and his wisdom.  He's written two of my favorite running books "Marthon: the ultimate training guide" and "Masters Running: a guide to running and staying fit after 40".  Just full of wonderful stories and ideas.

It is so easy to get caught up in 'wow, this feels great' and 'more must be better' when working out but you will find that in most cases your body will work better with a breather.  If you haven't already looked at adding in strength training and yoga (for flexibility), you might consider working that into your schedule as well.  Amazing what getting everything working right can do!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...