Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

119513 Views 485 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 12:28 PM by runningangelinvt Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33 Previous Next
  • Afighter Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010

Jasmine,

Just reading some of your posts...you go girl!  I just completed my first 10 mile run this past weekend and hearing about your tri training is getting me thinking.  I look forward to reading more about your success.  I know my training for the run was tough and emotionally taxing at times.  You keep going!  It's awesome what you are doing!

First time: Broad Street Run Philadelphia (10 Miles) 2:49

• corrietris Rookie 4 posts since
    May 3, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    61. May 5, 2010 11:34 AM (in response to aprophet1)
    Re: Any other slow, overweight newbie triathletes?

Thanks for the advice! I guess I should mention that I'm doing a sprint distance-hoping to find an Olympic distance to do in the early fall. I have done a few bricks-run/swim-but need to be sure to be doing at least one each week-I have a great trail system a half mile from my front door to run/ride on so it will be easy enough logistically.

Rode 20.5 miles on my mountain bike yesterday and am a little sore today-I'm sure I'll want to die after running later.

Anyone here transition from Sprint to Olympic distance? How much time did it take to train for the Olympic distance? The running is the one thing holding me back-I was diagnosed with a hip problem when I was 14 and with the exception of the last month, haven't run at all since then (23 years). I'm running a 12ish minute mile right now and that's a push.

• Amigold Legend 187 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    62. May 5, 2010 11:51 AM (in response to corrietris)

I've done two sprints and plan to do my first Olympic distance in 12 days.  I'm 53 and quite slow.  Repeat:  QUITE slow. And I'm only about 10 pounds overweight, so that is no excuse--I'm. Just. Slow.

It's not hard to transition from the sprint to Olympic per se. You have to obviously train a bit more, and increase your distance. My last sprint was in October; I started training in Jan and my Oly is in May.  I am confident I will finish, but I may be dead last.  I am trying not to care. I know you are not supposed to care!

The hardest part of moving up was (a) learning the open water swim--nearly all Olys are open water, and (b) increasing the bike distance and dealing with hills, wind, etc.  I was a previous half marathon runner at age 49 so the run distance isn't that hard for me, but doing a 24 mile bike followed by a 6 mile run is not something you can just wake up and do, unless your name is Lance Armstrong.

There's a lot of short training programs on line for Olympic distance--between 6-12 weeks.  I personally think for an older, slower or less fit athlete, you may take longer to train for that in order to avoid injury. I've used four months and needed every minute of it--now I also work 50 hours a week, so factor that in, if you don't work that hard you may do it in less time.  Or if you are just plain faster than me. I have a ton of slow twitch muscles. I looked up the times for the Oly race I'm doing for last year and so far every single person is faster than me on the bike (my weakest event) times a zillion. I'm also a slow swimmer and between a 10:30-12 min mile runner.

Nothing wrong with a 12 minute mile!  You should actually start out slower than that if you are just starting running again.  Using a heart monitor will help you keep in aerobic running which you will need for longer distances-- if you want to spring to buy one and learn how to use it.  Don't push it--don't get injured.

You can do the Oly distance by increasing your time on each activity each week slowly and carefully (I increase time rather than mileage, but you can do either).  And eventually also increasing your brick workouts. If you want to get faster, you need to add some interval work too (ugh).  I swim twice a week, bike twice a week and run twice a week.  Anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours each workout.  You are close to the Oly distance bike right now with your 20 miles, so consider that the swim is almost a mile, and the run is 6 miles--and really, who cares if you walk the entire run part (I won't!).  Go for it. Let us know.

Terry

• lkt Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 13, 2007
    63. May 5, 2010 12:14 PM (in response to Amigold)

It's true, you're not supposed to care where you come in but easier said than done, eh?

As someone who used to be relatively fast (7 minute miles) and is now lucky to hit 10 minute pace on a REALLY good day (due to too many work hours, klutzy injuries, and one serious illness), I've been trying to deal with the negative mental part of being at the back of the pack for the past year.  I finally got tired of freaking myself out to the point of tears on turn-around events by all the people passing me in the opposite direction and avoiding small events because of where I'll finish.  What has helped is

1) the acceptance that I know I won't win

2) the knowledge that I'm participating in the event which is more than 99% of the rest of the US

3) the cool medal that I'll earn and will show to anyone and everyone

and finally, 4) the old saying I've seen on many t-shirts (but it's true): DLF (dead last finish) is better than DNF (did not finish) which is better than DNS (did not start).

• flyers92 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008

I am glad to have found this post.  I am new to this sport and very excited for my 1st Tri in July.  I am nervous about finding tri-shorts/tri-shirts that fit me.  I have another Tri, I want to do in October in San Diego but the open water is scary.  I have been swimming in my gyms pool, the water will be freezing in October.

Finished Reading "Your First Triathlon" book and it was very informative.  I am following the 12 Week plan.  I am not sure what to eat thou.  I am a Vegetarian and don't eat fish/chicken/poultry either.  I have over 100lbs to lose but I am still goin to do the 1st Tri in July.

I loved reading all of the posts and know more.  I have done 2 Brick workouts and boy did my legs hurt when I started to Jog.

Good luck to Everyone that is having their 1st Tri.  Keep us all posted.  Kristina - you mentioned you were doing a Tri October 18th in San Diego, is that with GoTribal, if so I was planning on going the same one, that would be my 2nd one....Tory

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible - My Personal MANTRA

7/11/2010 - 1st Triathlon - Chino Valley, AZ - Placed 1st in My Division

9/26/2010 - 5k for City of Hope - Phoenix AZ

10/3/2010 - ZUMBAthon - Phoenix AZ

10/10/2010 - 5k for Susan Koman - Phoenix AZ

10/17/2010 - Sprint Tri in San Diego CA

11/7/2010 - 1/2 Marathon - Women's Running Magazine - Scottsdale/Tempe AZ

11/14/2010 - 5k Irongirl - Tempe AZ

11/25/2010 - Sprint Tri - Phoenix, AZ

• Sophile Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009

I'm sorry if I'm 'flogging the deceased equine'(that's why I responded to the original post), but it sounds like you're getting it, congratulations. My only tidbit would be: Think "bike heavy"; especially if your muscles and connective tissues are not up to the strength required for strenuous activity. I've recently been injured, and gained 20-30 lbs. I rely on the bike, which can prevent the pounding that caused my injury (from running). The most common mistake I perceive is when people who are starting out heavier "jump" right into activity, recalling that useful exuberance that we all ONCE possessed. This often has THE undesired effect: they give up. Your body must developed slowly, at first, to be able to accommodate the vigorous activity it will inevitably encounter. Once your metabolism begins to kick in, you'll wonder why you didn't "tri" it sooner. Good luck.

P.S. Beware of one's OWN competitiveness. I just did the UCLA triathlon, knowing going in that I had a nagging knee injury. It was chip-timed, so I knew I had an "out" if I needed it. Unfortunately, I felt alright after the bike, so I proceeded to 'do what I could' on the run (5k); attempting to finish strong in spite of my injury (and my "out"). It was one of the worst times I've ever posted...AND I destroyed my knee again, setting back my training until now. I SHOULD HAVE NEVER STARTED  THE RUN. I know what I can run a 5k in. Lesson learned.

• Sophile Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    66. May 5, 2010 4:33 PM (in response to corrietris)

I just posted some comments for 'Jasmine1972'. My advice would be the same for you: bike heavy. However, with you I would site your hip problems as the main reason to maximize the bike. This will strengthen those muscles and tendons, while preventing further injury to your hip. In addition, the cardio can improve without the mileage necessary to get your run in order. Note: Don't AVOID the run, just complement it with 'other' cardio routines; hiking is actually a good one - strength with no jarring. You'll be breaking 10's in no  time.

While at UCLA, I joined the triathlon team (I was in my 30's already - late bloomer). In 2006, I was on the receiving end of a hit-n-run accident while on my tri bike. I was in a coma for 3 days, and suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury. My hips were EXTREMELY limited after the accident. I couldn't stick my leg out to the side (~90 degrees). To 'get it back', I began riding my bike again at the beginning of 2009. I subsequently lost 25+ lbs., my metabolism shot through the roof, and I've posted faster times than when I was on the tri team. Now, I can almost do the splits. Good luck.

P.S. The doctors at UCLA medical center told me that my cardio conditioning (from tri's) was precisely what freed certain blood clots, and generally aided a speedy recovery from my accident. I believe I was down to 50 bpm, at the time. Guess nobody ever talks about PREVENTATIVE benefits of cardio conditioning.

• RJinWY Amateur 23 posts since
    May 4, 2010

Jasmine, I think you are doing great and I was so happy to find your posts.  Finding this has inspired me to sign up for my first sprint tri in August.  But I am self-conscious about swimming in the pool since my legs.......... errrrr....jiggle!   Do people wear shorts in the pool?  I love biking and I used to really enjoy swimming but feel embarrassed to show up at the local recreation center (which is the only public pool in town) to swim.

May 3, 2010
    69. May 6, 2010 8:49 AM (in response to Amigold)

Thank you for your advice! I should note that I didn't start this right off of the couch-I was sent to a personal trainer vs physical therapy in spring of 2008 after a car accident in Sept of 2007 (I was rear-ended in July of 2003, November of 2004, and September of 2007-all pretty badly)-my chiropractor at the time was heavy into kinesiology and believed in stregthening core and support muscles in addition to adjustments and massage. This got me off of the couch and I lost 15 lbs in two months just seeing him twice a week (he put me through a routine of planks, crunches, lat pull downs, tricep extensions, squats, bicep curls, and if I was really lucky, sprints on the treadmill-he was pure evil). The insurance ran out, I moved from Seattle to Central Oregon and I gained again so when my back and neck started hurting again in the fall of 2008, I started hitting the gym at work (again, very lucky to work at a resort where I have access to a gym, miles of bike paths, and three pools)-I went from 242 to 210 by spring then plateaued right around 208 and stayed there all summer. I stayed active during the summer mountain biking, paddling, and hiking, but didn't train regularly. I started to hit the gym regularly again this winter, dropped 10 lbs pretty easily, then which is when I decided to try a tri.

I also have a ton of slow twitch muscles-speed was never my forte when I competed in sports in my past. I am going to invest in a heart rate moniter-in fact, I have a gift card for Best Buy and my eyes on a Polar watch (anyone have any advice here?). Right now, I'm feeling pretty good cardiovascularly when I run-if my legs were a bit stronger, I feel like I could go for quite awhile. I've been trying to train in the 130s-and have been told by my boss (Iron Man finisher x3) to start adding in intervals in a week or so.

Good luck with your Oly! And like someone below said-last is better than DNF! Although I have to admit, I'm trying not to worry about the prospect of potentially coming in dead last as well.

Corrie

May 3, 2010
    70. May 6, 2010 9:03 AM (in response to Sophile)

Thanks! I have no problem with "bike heavy!" I love biking-and am lucky enought to have miles of single track through the forest and lava rock a half mile from my front door. I can do 20 miles on my mountain bike with a lot of climbing which is equivalent to around 30-40 on a road bike. I really need to find a road bike to train with so I can see how I do on the road... I still hate running but have found myself improving at a surprising rate-and am definitely going to incorporate hiking as soon as the weather agrees-right now my favorite trails are covered in snow.

The hip has been surprisingly well behaved with all of this training-I have snapping hip syndrome-been focusing on not favoring it and strengthening the supporting muscles-I can definitely feel the difference in muscle strength after so many years of favoring my right side.

Awesome job on your recovery! So many people will never make it back after such a scary accident-people like you really inspire me! I am a true believer in the benefits of the cardio conditioning-my asthma has improved, my mental health is a lot better, and my back doesn't hurt half as much as it used to. I will never go back to the 242 lb depressed couch slug I used to be.

Once again, I'm so happy to have found this forum! Everyone here is a huge inspiration!

Corrie

• Amigold Legend 187 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    71. May 6, 2010 9:33 AM (in response to corrietris)

Jasmine:

Your speeds are NOT slow. Trust me, I have seen slow, and been slow. You are doing good, comfortable, aerobic workout paces and you should keep it up. Speed comes veeerrry slowly and so don't get discouraged. As we have all mentioned, don't be in a hurry to increase speed.  It will happen on its own, and you will be totally suprised when it does.

Last night, when I was biking and trying not to be discouraged that my pace was slower than the last time out, I noticed the ducks swimming on the lake, the blossoming magnolias (it's good to live in the South) and the sunset--and this, friends, is why I bike and run.  To get outside, to get my body to do what it was always meant to do (even if it's slowly), to see all the beautiful things out there and to thank God I am able to swim, bike, and run at ANY pace. So many people would give their eyeteeth to be able to do the same. It really helped me get mentally back into why I'm doing this: for health, for sanity (who doesn't feel better after a workout?), for joy, for fun, and for fitness.  To celebrate life and to be happy that all my limbs are attached where they should be.

So get through the hard and long workouts by telling yourself how many people out there are DNSers--sitting on the couch watching TV--and feel sorry for them, not yourself!  You're out doing something different, unique, and challenging.

CORcorrie:  swim in whatever makes you feel comfortable. If it's tri shorts, do it (I swim in mine some, because it gets me used to the feel of them in the water). If it's a long burka, do it. Just swim. And force yourself to sometimes blow bubbles and giggle into the water, like you did when you were a kid.  We forget sometimes that swimming used to be FUN.  Make water fun!  Same for the bike--remember when we were kids and biking was just the best thing to do?  Think like that again.

(Ok, running bites. I'll give on that one).

Good luck everyone.

Terry

• MandyK23 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 6, 2010

This string is great!  I'm a first time Triathalete (well, i will be in August after i Finish!), I've got about 50 lbs to lose, and I'm pretty slow right now.  Running is a double edged sword for me, i know i need to do it, and i know it helps get weight off fast, but I've struggled with Plantar fasciitis from doing two of those 3-day, 60 milesBreast Cancer  walks, too much running too fast might just put me on the sidelines.  So I'm focusing on the swimming and biking now. I found a great swim class at the rec center for Triathaletes,  its helped me a LOT with form, speed, and endurance, but i have a long ways to go still!

Anyway, good luck to you all, and I'm glad to know i am not alone!!

• Katestayslim Amateur 11 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010

Hi,

How nice to find such a great group of people doing the same thing I'm attempting.  At the urging of my gym buddies I signed up for my first sprint tri at the end of June.  Actually this is my first ever race of any kind.

I signed up rather impulsively - which is good because if I'd thought about it for very long I wouldn't have done it.

Even though the training time was short - 3months - I've been spinning for 2 years so I'm strong on the bike.  Except for the actual steering on a real bike LOL.  I have 6 weeks to get that down pat.

It's still too cold outside to swim so I'm hoping the switch from pool to lake won't be too bad.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...