Skip navigation

4307 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2010 9:15 AM by BOSNPM RSS
@RunRayRun Pro 122 posts since
Apr 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 29, 2010 7:01 AM

How fast does MCM gets sold out?

I will most likely run my first full marathon at MCM on 10/31 but I'm also waiting for NYC marathon lottery.  The NYC lottery and MCM registration both on 4/7/2010.  I know 99% I won't win the NYC lottery but you never know.  Also, don't want to run both as they are a week a part, not enough recovery for sure specially for 1st time marathoner.  So how fast does MCM gets sold out?  I just want to wait for NYC announcement before signing up for MCM if confirmed I did not win the lottery. Thanks.

~ Tumblr ~ DailyMile ~ Twitter ~

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Mar 29, 2010 7:12 AM (in response to @RunRayRun)
    Re: How fast does MCM gets sold out?

Fast I think it varies a little between 1 week and 3 weeks

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Mar 29, 2010 7:52 AM (in response to @RunRayRun)

It has been about two weeks in the last couple years.  This year is the 35th anniversary, so it may sell out faster.

Len

• Edski675 Pro 91 posts since
    Nov 29, 2009
    4. Mar 29, 2010 8:08 AM (in response to @RunRayRun)

Having run both, I would opt for MCM every time

Triumph Sprint ST 1050

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Mar 29, 2010 5:30 PM (in response to @RunRayRun)

The way things play out, it's a gamble if you decide to wait to hear about the NYC lottery before registering for MCM. Chances are that regular registration will be long since sold out by the time you hear from NY (that's usually announced in what, June?) People try to figure this out every year.

Some thoughts to consider:

* there are almost always MCM bibs available to transfer, usually beginning in July or August, as people realise the time commitment to training, or get injured, or realise they won't be ready, or psych themselves out, or....fill in the blank. These will be posted here on Active (at the top of the message board there's a rotating list of announcements; one of them concerns transfer bibs, for which there is an entirely separate board--because we're kinda special here, and we talk a lot, so the transfer posts get in our way and we get in theirs.)

* it is possible to defer an MCM registration for a year (as many of us, myself included, have done for the above and other reasons) and be given the opportunity to reregister prior to general registration. Since I deferred last year, I am already registered for this year.

* you're completely right about not running those two puppies back to back as a first-time marathoner. Many, many people cannot EVER run two marathons back to back weekends. Only crazy people try (you know who you are, and yes I'm talking to you Jimmy).

* while it IS my personal goal to run NYC someday, being a native and this being the ultimate marathon for me even more than Boston....well, MCM's just way cool. We have more fun during training. Some good folks on this here board.

* Len is always right. Always. If Len tells you something, do it. He won't ever make you do something, but his advice is more bankable than the rest of us put together.

* make sure to check out the NYC transfer/deferment policy in case you get into both and decide you really really want to run MCM this year. I don't even know if there is one.

* after three consecutive years of being shut out of NYC lottery, you are guaranteed entry. So if you keep registering, you WILL get in. Ask....oh god, what's Kathy's screen name? marathoner06, I think. She's finally running NYC this year (and I will miss her terribly as I slog along the back 13).

* Did I mention we're more fun? And that Len's always right?

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Dec 14, 2007
    6. Mar 29, 2010 5:33 PM (in response to Edski675)

Edski675 wrote:

Having run both, I would opt for MCM every time

Yeah, but you Limeys are notoriously weird.

Jan 18, 2008
    7. Mar 30, 2010 6:36 AM (in response to thefirecat)

thefirecat wrote:

The way things play out, it's a gamble if you decide to wait to hear about the NYC lottery before registering for MCM. Chances are that regular registration will be long since sold out by the time you hear from NY (that's usually announced in what, June?) People try to figure this out every year.

They changed the lottery at NY to be in April.  April 7, to be precise, this year.  So if you get your results promptly, you should still be able to register for MCM.

Len

Dec 14, 2007
    8. Mar 30, 2010 5:19 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

lenzlaw wrote:

thefirecat wrote:

They changed the lottery at NY to be in April.  April 7, to be precise, this year.  So if you get your results promptly, you should still be able to register for MCM.

Oh, cool. I hadn't heard that, because being able to run NY is so far off my radar into the future still.

Notice you didn't take issue with the rest of my post, LOL.

• akmorken1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2008
    9. Apr 1, 2010 11:17 AM (in response to @RunRayRun)

On MCM's facebook page it says that the 30th Anniversary MCM sold out in 62 hours. This year is the 35th and they are predicting it will sell out fast.

Jan 18, 2008
    11. Apr 8, 2010 8:21 AM (in response to @RunRayRun)

Congratulations!  Good luck at New York!

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    13. Apr 8, 2010 9:15 AM (in response to @RunRayRun)

I will second that, Len gives great advice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...