Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1421 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2010 9:53 AM by JillCrystal RSS
JillCrystal Amateur 7 posts since
Mar 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 30, 2010 8:58 AM

pulled hamstring, what to do?

i am on week 5 day 2 of c25k and i think i pulled a hamstring.  the back of my knee hurts and there is a little swelling.  i am basically look for advice about where i should go from here.  anything would be greatly appreciated.  thanks!

• jjksutton Pro 52 posts since
    Feb 20, 2010
    1. Mar 30, 2010 9:15 AM (in response to JillCrystal)
    Re: pulled hamstring, what to do?

Hamstring issues can be especially annoying.  They can take a long time to heal because people think they are good to go, get back to a normal workout routine, and then find out they're not.

You should ice, rest, massage, and take some ibuprofen if you can.  Get back into your workouts at a reduced intesity, possibly start with just walking...swimming would also be good if you have access to a pool.  I've use low intensity cycling as a way to keep getting some kind of cardio benefit when I've had hamstring issues in the past.

In any event, make sure you listen to the signals your body sends.  If it doesn't feel right, back off.  You could also consider a strengthening routine to help build up your leg muscles (not body builder build up) to help reduce the chances for future injuries.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Mar 30, 2010 9:49 AM (in response to jjksutton)
    Re: pulled hamstring, what to do?

It may not be the hamstring.  You described it as back of the knee with some swelling, so it's probably not the hamstring itself.  It could be the tendons that attach the hamstrings to the knee area.  Treatment in that case is pretty much what has already been mentioned.  But it also could also be Bakers Cyst (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml#bakers)   A trip to the doctor may be worthwhile.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...