Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2223 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2010 7:03 PM by how2runfast
mberkobien Amateur 10 posts since
Jun 22, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 3, 2010 4:17 AM

Can anyone help with a shoe question?

Here is my situation. I'm a heavy runner (265-270) I wear a 4E width and have a neutral gait. Im currently in a pair of Asics Nimbus. I love them, but at 100 bucks a pop I would love to get more than 200 miles out of a pair. They are the third pair of Asics I have worn. I have no problem what so ever until I reach about 190-200 miles. Then I start getting the aches and pains in my shins and knees. I don't change my training or running patterns. I think the shoe is just breaking down due to my weight. I average 18-20 miles a week on road, track, and some trail. I'm not brand loyal. I do understand that my size issues limit my brand selection. If anyone can recomend an a shoe I would love hear about it. I'm putting this out because the stores in my area that cater to runners seem to push the shoes they need to move. I'm not opposed to spending more for a pair of shoes ( within reason ) I just would like to get 250-300 miles before I need to replace them.

• Reykjavik2011 Amateur 7 posts since
    Apr 3, 2010
    1. Apr 3, 2010 5:00 AM (in response to mberkobien)
    Re: Can anyone help with a shoe question?

Hi,

no answers, but as an over pronator i wear custom made orthotics and wear stability kayano 15 asics

I am slightly heavy at 5'4" and 11 stone 2 but i think i am lucky if i get 200 miles out of a pair of shoes

I think that the lifespan of shoes is 200 -500 miles and of course your personal running style will come into play here

you could go to a running shop and have your gait analysed

but i don't know if it would help

i don't think shoes come with any guarantee of being ok for over 200 miles and they are your most important piece of equipment

also maybe you should buy a second pair of shoes just for off road

some people get through shoes quicker and with my practically new pair of shoes wearing out fast i feel your pain!!

However - you are getting aches and pains that should not be ignored - your weight might be a factor - i really think that walking until you can get your weight down is the best advice

even tho i know you do not want to hear it

Katherine

• jjksutton Pro 52 posts since
    Feb 20, 2010
    3. Apr 6, 2010 3:45 PM (in response to mberkobien)

I started out at 235 running in Nike Vomeros.  As I lost weight my preferences have changed a little and I've explored some different options.

I wear Mizuno Wave Rider 12s right now.  I've also worn Asics Nimbus 11s; Nike Vomero 2s, 3s, and 4s; and Nike Free 3.0s. 

I like the Mizunos.  I'm not sure how they're going to hold up, but so far so good.  They are cushioned, but not squishy.  They are also very light.

The Vomeros held up pretty well for me but they are really cushioned, a little too much, so I stopped buying them. 

I didn't like the Nimbus 11s at all.  They felt really heavy for some reason.  They also kept blistering the inside of my heels.

The Nike Free is much different from the others.  It's very unstructured and has very little cushioning, but it doesn't feel hard.  I've been running more in them lately and I do like how they feel.

I think if you buy two pairs of shoes and rotate them you should be able to get better durability from them.  Sweat is a shoe killer.  Having multiple pairs gives each more time to fully dry out between uses.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Apr 6, 2010 5:56 PM (in response to jjksutton)

I have a pair of Nimbus 11s and I have not been impressed by their wear.  I have also worn the Kayanos and they are much more durable.  But they are a stability shoe and may not be suitable for you.  You might look at New Balance, which I have found to be more durable, and maybe Brooks and Adidas.

Len

Len

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    7. Apr 8, 2010 7:03 PM (in response to mberkobien)

Have you tried the Asics Cumulus?  They have worked well for me.  Also, now that the Nimbus 12 is out, the price of Nimbus 11's should be coming down.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points