Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3152 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2010 7:54 PM by Lindsey12 RSS
amanda2387 Rookie 5 posts since
Sep 4, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 3, 2010 8:45 AM

SHIN SPLINTS and Half Marathon

Hi everyone.  I have been running for about a year now and I have never had a problem with cramps or shin splints before...until now.  My calves cramp up and I have shin splints so bad I feel like throwing up.  But the thing is it only happens when I run on the tredmil.  I ran outside the other day and ran 6 miles, no problem.  I ran on the tredmil this morning and got really bad shin splints.  I know I should rest and take it easy but telling me that is like telling someone not to breathe.  What strectches should I do for shin splints and how long does it take for them to go away?  They have been bothering me for about 2 months or more and just when they go away, I run and they come back.  Is it something with the tredmil?  Any advice would be greatly apperciated.  Thanks

P.S.

I have a half marathon on the 17th...does anyone think I will be able to do it??

• Haselsmasher Legend 505 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    1. Apr 3, 2010 10:00 AM (in response to amanda2387)
    Re: SHIN SPLINTS and Half Marathon

If you're having issues with both calves and shins I wonder if there is something going on in your form/style which is just over-working things.  Given you have a half coming up it seems to not make sensse to mess with that now, but might be something to think about in the future.  (That topic is a whole 'nother program.)

A few thoughts:

*  Shoes?  Any changes?  Any issues there that need addressing?  I would assume not - but feel obliged to mention since it can be a cause.

*  Can't a mineral deficiency help contribute to cramps?  Potassium?  Hopfully you like bananas. 

*  For the calves I'd be using a foam roller if you're not already.  It will really help loosen them up.  It might be painful at first.

*  For Shin Splints I've found strengthening the muscles on the shins can really help.  I wrote a short article describing what has worked for me in the past.  And don't forget icing.  Be careful about icing the shins - the skin is thin and can be burned.

Good luck with the half.

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• Haselsmasher Legend 505 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    2. Apr 4, 2010 8:16 PM (in response to Haselsmasher)

Maybe because it's Spring and people are getting out after a winter break, but the Shin Splints topic is coming up a lot.  The blog posting I reference in my previous post was old and getting kind of long in the tooth.  This week's blog posting is an updated and more comprehensive version of what I had previously, if folks are interested.

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/2010/04/shin-splints-revisited.html

Jim

http://jimhaselmaier.blogspot.com/

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    3. Apr 4, 2010 9:36 PM (in response to amanda2387)

Shin splints SUCK (but you know that)!  I had to deal with them a lot when I was a sprinter and there were 3 things that seemed to work over time:

Ice before and after each run

Stretching before and after each run

Take an anti-inflammatory med. (i.e. ibuprofen)

The ice numbs it, so there is less pain to deal with, also, the post-run ice helps bring swelling down.  Doing shin specific stretches helps get you loose.  I've always liked spelling the alphabet with each foot (use your toe like a pointer and write the alphabet in the air).  Taking an anti-inflammatory keeps swelling down.

If your shins have been bothing you this long, you may have stress fractures.  You need to train differently often so you don't burn your muscles out (use the elyptical and bike once in a while)  Also, keep in mind that running outside beats your legs up even more than a treadmill will and YOU HAVE TO REST YOUR LEGS.  You may not like resting but you have to remember that rest is when you body recovers and rebuilds...if your not resting, your being counter-productive with your training. 

I can't offer much help with your calves other than make sure you stretch, and, your calves may hurt because you may be adjusting your form to ease your shins and it inadvertently puts more stress/pain onto your calves.

Good luck and I hope your shins and calves start cooperating!

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• jonnyvabch Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 24, 2007
    4. Apr 5, 2010 8:07 AM (in response to amanda2387)

I had a bad case of shin splints a few years ago and after buying new running shoes with extra cushioning it seemed to help a great deal; also the calve stretches as mentioned in earlier posts and also mentioned writing the ABC’s with the points of your feet.

In addition to the ABC’s, I took an empty one gallon milk jug and filled it with water and ran a strap though the handle and hung it off the end of my foot.  This helped to strengthen those smaller muscles and tendons in the front of my lower leg thereby countering some of the pull from the calf muscles, etc.

Good luck on the half!!

• Lindsey12 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008
    5. Apr 5, 2010 7:54 PM (in response to Haselsmasher)

i get calf cramps and anterior shin pain as well after long runs...i bought myself a great tool that helps to massage out the cramps that is not as painful as a foamroller and it is handheld. it is called the TigerTail and it can be found at TigerTailUSA.com. it has seriously changed my recovery after long runs. hope this helps

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...