Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1082 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2010 11:05 AM by lenzlaw
ziffy Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 13, 2010 10:17 AM

very low resting heart rate?

I have a resting heart rate of about 37. Rarely leaves the 30's except on exercise. My doctor is worried and ordered blood and other tests--all normal and a very healthy heart. I am a very moderate runner at present, do 5k runs (or cycling) three x a week. At 50 yrs. old (female) have been running for 25 years, sometimes 5 x a week. Anyone else for very low resting rate? Do you feel o.k.? I feel better after runs (more energy, warmer), when my resting rate goes up and stays up for a few hours. Is this normal for others of you out there?  Thanks for your input.

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    1. Apr 13, 2010 10:44 AM (in response to ziffy)
    Re: very low resting heart rate?

mine's in the 40's......  No one was worried.  I run about 30 mpw and bike 40....  I found this http://www.fitsugar.com/Low-Resting-Heart-Rate-94359  It might comfort you to know the article state UNDER 30 is cause for alarm.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Apr 13, 2010 11:05 AM (in response to ziffy)
    Re: very low resting heart rate?

Technically, low resting heart rate is called Bradycardia, defined as a resting heart rate under 60.  But it is not uncommon for athletes to have resting heart rates below 60.  Mine is around 48 (at age 62).  In fact, while I was sitting on the table, all hooked up and waiting for my last stress test, my heart rate was 50.  The Wikipedia article on Bradycardia says "Trained athletes or young healthy individuals may also have a slow resting heart rate (e.g. professional cyclist Miguel Indurain had a resting heart rate of 28 beats per minute). Resting bradycardia is often considered normal if the individual has no other symptoms such as fatigue, weakness, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, chest discomfort, palpitations or shortness of breath associated with it."

As the article cited above says: "The slow heart rate usually just indicates a strong heart."  If you have no other symptoms, I doubt that you have anything to worry about.  Still, your doctor is being cautious, which is not a bad thing.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...