Skip navigation

7190 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2010 7:52 AM by Floyd5k RSS
Floyd5k Amateur 19 posts since
Dec 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 13, 2010 2:47 PM

Opinion on MTB

Hi all.

Been a Roadie for sometime now and slowly transitioning to mountain biking to add cycling variety. I do own an 80's Specialized Rock Hopper that I have been using but I think it's time to update from zero suspension to full-on! I have run across two deals for an XC bike and both brand new. A 2008 Giant Trance X0 (apparently MT bike of the year) and a 2010 Trek Fuel EX8 for the same price. Any opinions? The components appear to be comparable perhaps 2 years apart in technology but wondering about the weight and handling. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Lyle65 Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2010
    1. Apr 23, 2010 8:17 AM (in response to Floyd5k)
    Re: Opinion on MTB

I love mtb but it was almost the death of me. I wasn't treating my body well enough to the right amount of electrolytes and nutrients, but thankfully I found a drink I loved and that replenished everything. Vita Coco not only has 1/3 more electrolytes and nutrients than Gatorade, but has more potassium than a banana. I used to get too exhausted to ride as much as I wanted to, but now that I've found a better rehydration solution biking has become much more enjoyable.

• onegymrat Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 6, 2008
    2. Apr 29, 2010 9:34 AM (in response to Floyd5k)
    Re: Opinion on MTB

Hi Floyd, your experience with mtn biking will indeed vastly improve due to the tech available these days. Both the Trek and Giant bikes you named will be excellent on trail rides..the differences in performance from each frame/suspension design will be negligible and subjective.  The components on the Giant XO in '08 is inferior to their XO line nowadays but still very good...and better than the Trek EX8 currently.  Both should offer you 4.7" of travel and Fox F120RL forks.  I would advise you to ask for a bigger discount on the '08 Giant, since they are undoubtedly trying to get rid of a 2-year old bike (which is a dinosaur now), and take that deal.  I like the Shimano XT drivetrain on the Giant better and the Trance XO have had rave reviews since the redesign of that frame starting that year.  The Trek has the SLX drivetrain and uses bushings for the shifters rather than bearings like the XT.

Go for it and enjoy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...