Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2316 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2010 2:07 PM by Janet689 RSS
Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
Feb 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 14, 2010 5:50 PM

Medial Heel/Ankle Pain

On Saturday I ran my second 5K.  The first 2 miles went well.  Then I started having pain in the area behind my right ankle bone to the left of my Achilles' tendon, (on the medial side).  I thought that maybe the shoe was pressing too hard on that spot.  I just adjusted my stride, fought through the pain to finish.  I've rested a few days since, and really haven't had any issues, besides some minor soreness/stiffness on Sunday.

(Until today!)

Today I went out for a jog wearing different shoes and started having heel pain, along the left side of my right heel.  (The same general area, just a little lower.)  I came home and looked and noticed a slight swelling in the area where I had felt the pain on Saturday. (I asked my daughter to see if she could see/feel the swelling and she confirmed that she could.

Any ideas what this might be, and what I should be doing for it?  It does not hurt when I walk on it.  (I was wondering if it could be tendonitits?)

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

• pinthebox.com Pro 94 posts since
    Apr 14, 2010
    1. Apr 14, 2010 7:44 PM (in response to Janet689)
    Re: Medial Heel/Ankle Pain

first, you need to keep your pace and rythem well, and your breath. second, you should take some health food, nutrition, ecspecially protein and cadium. if you feel pain, that means you are in short of nutrition.

pinterest login

• Haselsmasher Legend 512 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    2. Apr 14, 2010 10:14 PM (in response to Janet689)
    Re: Medial Heel/Ankle Pain

The area you're describing is where the tendon for the Posterior Tibialis muscle runs.  Tendonitis there is often referred to as PTT - Posterior Tibialis Tendonitis.  You might Google that muscle and look at the images that come back and confirm that where it runs is where you're having pain.

It's a fairly common issue.  The tendon warps around the ankle bone (medial side) and then connects under the foot roughly at the arch.  I think it branches out a couple of times.  In general it helps control pronation.  It allows you to point your foot (plantar flexion) as well as point the sole of the foot to the medial side - as if you wanted to show the sole of the foot to the opposite ankle.  (That motion is called evert or something else - I can never keep them straight.  :-))

Has anything changed with your shoes?  Are they a different model or model year from what you normally run in?  Are they old.  Generally (I think) a change in arch support, which can cause that tendon to have to move more and do more work, could cause it to get inflamed.  In general cut back on mileage, maybe do some icing, might help.  Depending on how you answered the shoe questions you might make some changes there.

Another thing that can help is to massage that muscle that is connected to the tendon.  Ozzie Gontang has been advocating this method of self-massage for Posterior Tibialis:  Sit in a chair and put the ankle of the leg to be massaged on the opposite knee.  You'll be looking down on the medial side of the lower leg.  Posterior Tibilais sits right behind the shin bone.  Place the thumb of one hand right behind the shin bone - in the soft tissue - down by the ankle.  Wrap the fingers around the front of the shin.  Put the other thumb on top of the first and wrap those fingers around the front of the shin.  Make small circles with the foot.  You should feel Posterio Tibialis contract and relax with each foot rotation.  While continuing to slowly rotate the foot, press your thumbs firmly into the soft tissue and - continuing to rotate the foot - slide the thumbs slowly up the shin toward the knee.  You'll massage the muscle all the way up the shin.  This also does some fascia release - which should lengthen the muscle.  Be aware - this can make the muscle a bit sore for a couple of days.  It gets forgotten and neglected.  So when you get in there, at first, it complains a little bit.

Eccentric heel drops can also help.  You might do some Googling on those.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...