Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

5884 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2010 7:41 AM by Iron Dawg
Einherjar Amateur 28 posts since
Jan 28, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2010 11:28 AM

Is 15 weeks enough to train for a 1/2 Ironman?

About me:  I'm 27, active and fit. I have done the Buffalo Creek Xterra in Colorado the past 2 years. Not super fast though, swimming is my weak point.

I want to do a half Ironman now, and I was thinking about signing up for one in the end of July. I'm pretty sure that I could handle getting in shape enough to finish it by then, but I don't know if 15 weeks would be enough to make me at all competitive.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Xterras are fun.

First 50k - 10/16/2010 - 4:20

Half and Full Ironman in 2011

• tom360 Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 5, 2010
    1. Apr 16, 2010 11:59 AM (in response to Einherjar)
    Re: Is 15 weeks enough to train for a 1/2 Ironman?

It depends on what your fitness level is at this point. I would recommend training to finish with a goal in mind as opposed to trying to podium on your first 1/2. It also depends on which 1/2 you are doing and who else is in your age group that may be far ahead of you at this point in terms of training. What is the race you are planning to sign up for?

Tom

goodtri.org

• tom360 Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 5, 2010
    3. Apr 16, 2010 1:00 PM (in response to Einherjar)

Thats a good race. I would say go for it. With 15 weeks to go you should focus on your weakness so you can build not only the strength but the confidence on race day. For my first 1/2 I used the Triathlon Training Bible from Joel Friel. I would recommend it if you dont already own it. Good luck!

Tom

goodtri.org

• Eric Kenney Amateur 32 posts since
    Oct 14, 2007
    4. Apr 16, 2010 3:19 PM (in response to tom360)

sounds like for you it will be, having some Tri experience already.

the key thing will be how you use that time.

set your goals accordingly, and then... have fun!

Eric

http://ekendurancecoaching.com

• Josh-in-Training Amateur 9 posts since
    Aug 3, 2009
    5. Apr 16, 2010 10:59 PM (in response to Einherjar)

i'm a rookie too.  I'm 38 and a father - so time challenged, but had regained solid fitness in 2009.

Just did my first Half IM last weekend - had a couple of friends doing it so I made the jump.  I had done my first Olympic in Nov.

Race day I was sick and it was super windy - it took me an hour longer than I planned.  My training gave me confidence.  My fitness let me push my body, and mental toughness kept me from quitting,

My start point was regularly swimming twice a week, and running 3-4 times week around 20 miles.  I was biking some - commuting, and taking occasional short rides on my road bike 10-20 miles.

Biking was and is my weakest sport.  I can hold sub 8 for 10K or longer.

I ran my first Half Marathon on Feb 7, 2010 - at 8:19 pace - but i had pulled a hammy first week of jan so that was a little slower than i had hoped,

Still I was over 10 at the Half IM

I also used Joe Friel's book - I had 9 weeks.

6 days a week - always took monday off.  bike-run T/Th - swim/weights W, yoga friday, swim/long i bike Sat, long bike sunday.

tuesday i concentrated on a longer bike with speed work in the run, and thursday i did a shorter bike with speed work, and longer run a little slower.

i used a trainer for these rides b/c i started in the 5AM hour-- prior to work.  but the runs were outside usually.

i threw in some elliptical if i was too beat up for the tuesday run, and some occasional barefoot treadmill too.

yoga was awesome for coordinated strength, balance and flexibility.

my longest swim was 2K in 45 minutes, longest bike was 46M ( too short ), longest run 14.5 ( about right)

I went for negative splits on all long runs -- throwing down 7:20s for the last 2-3 miles usually.

i wish i ran after every long bike.  my schedule did not permit it...

you've got to see how you run glycogen depleted.

Base 1 - peak at 10 hours cardio, Base 2 peak at 12.5 hours cardio.

Week 4/8 were recovery weeks, cut volume by 40% -- let your body rest and recover before moving forward.

train with the fuel you will use during the race.  never let yourself be hungry or thirsty just maintain intake.

eat carbs and protein and stretch within 1 hour of all workouts.

if you're starting from "endurance" fit, 15 weeks will be great!

Write out your training plan and log it - you'll be ready.

Good Luck.

• Iron Dawg Pro 111 posts since
    Oct 8, 2007
    6. Apr 19, 2010 8:17 AM (in response to Einherjar)

You can probably do this without too big a problem if you are smart about it.  Be very good with your time.  Train smart not just hard.  Get your rest.  Eat very healthy and make sure you eat/drink well during and after exercise (recovery).  Practice some "bricks" but again be very careful about overtraining or trying to overcome starting out somewhat late.  Use interveral training for cycling and running during one of your training sessions for each week.  Take at least one day off per week - again get your rest.

Iron Dawg

Favorite quote:

"If you're not gettting better you're getting worse."

• Frank_ Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 10, 2008
    7. Apr 21, 2010 7:46 AM (in response to Einherjar)

I think you can do anything you put your mind to. FOCUS! Sign up, pay the fee, and good luck! If you do, please let us know how you did. It'd be a great story to tell.

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    9. Apr 24, 2010 7:11 PM (in response to Einherjar)

Hi there,

I think 15 weeks is a reasonable amount of time depending on your current fitness level, available time, resiliency to injury, and goals.

So it looks like the xterra buffalo creek is a 1-mile swim, 20 mile mtn bike and 5-mile trail run? Looks like fun!

I'm not sure if I missed this within the thread, do you have a road or tri bike that you'll ride for the 70.3? Your mtn bike & trail running skills should transfer to good handling & power/strength.

I hope you're feeling better & that you'll let us know how your training is going,

Best to you!

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• Joe Emenaker Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    11. Apr 24, 2010 8:30 PM (in response to Einherjar)

I have no plans of trying to reach a podium spot. Just not coming in  last.

I heard a cute comeback for this, once. It was basically this: You won't be coming in last because you're guaranteed to be passing lots of people. Those people will be the spectators... off to the side, watching you go by. Those are the people who either *know* that they have no business being out there (and you really *would* pass them, or they probably wouldn't even *finish*, much less come in last), or they lack the self confidence to even go and find out.

Even if you *do* come in last, you'll still be ahead of the people who dropped out and DNF'd.

- Joe

• Iron Dawg Pro 111 posts since
    Oct 8, 2007

Great response Joe!

Iron Dawg

Favorite quote:

"If you're not gettting better you're getting worse."

• jcwtheu Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 24, 2009
    13. Apr 25, 2010 7:51 AM (in response to Einherjar)

I am registered for the same race - I signed up back in November, and I'd say from your posted times that we're about the same level of fitness. Bike is probably my weakest sport (kids and a job that involves some travel eats away at long ride time) but I'm a decent swimmer and a pretty strong runner.  This will be my first 70.3 so I set my goals as first to finish, regardless of time. If I am going to finish I'd like to look good doing it. My stretch goal is the top 1/3 of my age group which is approx.  5:30. I won't be disappointed if I finish in the top half however. Best of luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...