Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2560 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2010 12:56 PM by Leadville Fan RSS
mariefnp Pro 160 posts since
Mar 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2010 7:16 PM

Running shorts for support for larger women

I am a ahem, "obese" woman, 5'0" 170lb and wanted to buy a pair of Staiblyx shorts the other day at the running store. The largest they had was "large" well, I couldn't get that on one leg....ugh! too tight! I know they are supposed to be tight, but I couldn't even pull these up. Do any of you recommend any running shorts, and I do NOT want short shorts that ride up on my fat thighs.... I'm a newbie to this running thing, and so far have run (one week on c25k) in capri length lycra pants. But when warm weather comes, I need shorts. Thanks for your help....

Marie

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.....it is about learning how to dance in the rain!"

"The task ahead of you is never greater than the strength within you." - unknown

"Character gets you out of bed; commitment moves you to action. Faith, hope and discipline enable you to follow through to completion."

Began C25K 4/11/10 - have NEVER run in my life!!!!...C25K on hold with a knee injury

Soon to start Jeff Galloway's training program for women

• vashanti Amateur 29 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010
    1. Apr 16, 2010 8:04 PM (in response to mariefnp)
    Re: Running shorts for support for larger women

Hi, I don't know if you found the right pair of pants yet.

I use a pair of cotton pants capri length [they were long and i cut em] from Athletic works

they don't ride up because of the length and I think the material. It's a lightweight cotton so they are not warm at least not now during spring, I don't think they will get any warmer come summer time

"The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but instead will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease."

• SlowDiva Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Apr 24, 2010 8:13 AM (in response to mariefnp)

i have seen in Dick's sporting goods a large sized section of womens athletic wear. i forget what it is they call the section. maybe try their web site? good luck!!!

• Jaradel Pro 86 posts since
    Mar 24, 2010
    3. May 5, 2010 9:36 AM (in response to mariefnp)

Have you tried Target? I recently picked up a pair of lightweight C9 by Champion Lycra-blend fitted knee pants. They hold everything "together" pretty well, and with the longer-fit C9 tech shirts, I don't feel self-conscious about wearing them outside. Regular running shorts ride up on me as well, so these knee pants are ideal. I'm thinking about getting another pair. I found them in the store, but I can't seem to locate them on Target's site.

C25K 3/23/10 - 5/20/10

Completed Races:

Broad Run 5K Trail Race - 4/24/10 - 48:16

March on Melanoma 5K - 5/8/10 - 46:49

Race to Victory 5K - 5/22/10 - 44:03

Upcoming Races:

Heritage 5K - 10/3/10

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He saves worlds, rescues civilizations, defeats terrible creatures and runs a lot. Seriously, there's an outrageous amount of running involved." - Donna Noble, "Doctor Who"

Allons-y!

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    5. May 11, 2010 11:58 AM (in response to mariefnp)

Marie,

I'm a 'woman of size' and I use Champion C9 Rugby shorts.  They are a bit too long so I have to hem them (I like a 5-6 inch inseam on my shorts).  They have nice pocket and a full elastic waist.  Love them.  Bought them at Sports Authority.  They are mens!

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    6. May 11, 2010 12:56 PM (in response to mariefnp)

I love the Nike dry-fit fabric. I have a pair of their capris and the shorts (capris have a breathing panel behind the knee area).  They are really great.

I have a pair of C9 (champion's line through Target) and will be getting rid of them. The Nike's have a princess seam and the C9 do not. My regular Champion pants do (that I've ordered from the company).  The C9 pair left me with a red mark on my behind after a long race. I had run 9 miles in them before, but not 13 and that was.not.good. OWwwie.

Nike's website is a bit annoying for me, but Champion pants/shorts seem to be geared more to college kids with good bodies than those of us with real frames. I buy my bras through Champion though. They have sports bras  sized like bras.

The princess seams are where the fabric is folded over and the seam lays flat, so there's nothing to chaf against your skin.

I really don't understand why there seems to be short shorts and those dang bell bottom capris available for real women in stores. I hate having to pay s&h in order to get pants to run in.

ETA:  5'4", size 12/14

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...