Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1845 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 28, 2007 6:34 AM by Roger MD
runslo Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 27, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 27, 2007 3:53 PM

achilles tendonosis

I'm 57 and I injured my achilles tendon in a race last March I didn't warm up enough for. This after running for about a year after maybe a twenty year layoff. I took a few weeks off but tried to continue running and racing until the end of May when I got serious and stopped running completely. Rest and NSAIDS didn't help. Finally in early September I saw a surgon who specailizes in foot injuries and was refered for PT spefically for the Graston technique to break up adhesions and scarring. After 4 or 5 sessions I got some relief with the length of time I could walk during the day without pain. But after a total of 10 sessions nothing's changed. Still have pain everytime I stand and begin walking which improves as I go about 20-30 feet. And the point tenderness of the tendon hasn't improved at all since the problem started. I loved my running, others would call it a jog, it was a great stress reliever and improved my outlook in general. I want desperately to get back running but without any clear direction I'm afraid I'll just make things worse. I've learned the value of streching and gotten new shoes. What else can I do?

• Roger MD Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 28, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Oct 28, 2007 6:34 AM (in response to runslo)
    Re: achilles tendonosis

One treatment to consider is injection of platelet-rich plasma along the tendon.  You can google platelet-rich plasma to find out more about it. Basically, it is a concentrate of the cells and factors inside your own blood which perform healing. I have performed one achilles injection in my practice so far, and the patient went from severe achilles symptoms for 2 years limiting exercise, to >90% of normal function.  This required only a single injection; however, usually complete healing may require 2-3 injxns.

This technique can also be used to treat other tendons (e.g. patellar tendons, "tennis elbow", etc.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...