Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1883 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2010 4:41 PM by NancyLFreeman
ModernMaven Pro 135 posts since
Jun 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 29, 2010 7:56 AM

Any vegetarian or vegan runners in here?

Every year, I give up meat for Lent and this year, I did the same.  During that time, I did some more reading about factory farming and meat supply that profoundly affected me, and I decided to continue the vegetarianism.  I am trying to regulate my diet where I am aware of consuming things to make up for the protein, and feel like I need to be extra vigilant as a runner as opposed to someone who is a vegetarian and not doing anything really athletic.  I admit, that I am probably not consuming enough plant proteins instead- I have always eaten a lot of beans, but I dont eat a ton of fish as most of the fish available around here seems to be from Asia and I wont eat that.  Also, I've noticed an uptick in my carb consumption to take the place of the protein-  just craving cheeses and pasta a little more than I normally would.  That is getting better.

Im not opposed to eating humane raised meat and poultry, but first, it is expensive to eat that very often, and second, my local choices are limited until I can get a separate freezer and get it from somewhere other than the grocery store.  Also, I'm trying to reduce my carbon footprint by consuming less or no meat too.

In the past month or so, Ive seen my pace slow, my recovery time lenthen, and running just seems to be harder for me.  Im stopping more often than I ever would have even on my tiredest days.  Im wondering if this is related to my lack of meat eating.   Im am running about 12-15 miles per week, but I would like to sign up for some 10k's and 10 milers soon.  I feel like at my current state, it worries me to do so.  Im not sure if this is one of those times where I've hit a wall and regressed for a while, or if this will continue.

So my question is for you vegetarian runners, has this happened to you?  How do you combat it? How do you get the proteins you need to fuel your running body in a healthy and longterm way?

Thanks.

COUCH TO 5K GRADUATE- JULY 2009

08/15/2009-  Patrick Joyce Scholarship Run 5K (Lakewood, OH)  30:00

08/29/2009- Outrun Ovarian Cancer OROC 5K (Cleveland, OH)    28:50

09/12/2009- Race for the Cure 5K (Cleveland, OH) 30:08

10/17/2009- Mid Town Classic 5K (Cleveland)  30:15

05/02/2010- Lakewood Hospital Ambulance Chase 5K 27:45

09/11/2010- Race for the Cure 5K (Cleveland) 28:50

10/10/2010- Towpath Half Marathon (Cleveland) 2:16:28

10/23/2010- Army Ten Miler (DC) 1:42:12

03/12/2011- St Malachi 5 Miler  45:50

04/23/2011- Run for Cover 10K (Dallas, TX) 58:18

04/23/2011- Cleveland 10 Miler 1:34

05/15/2011- Cleveland Rite Aid Half Marathon 2:05

07/05/2011- Warrior Dash Ohio 36:40

08/06/2011- Gazebo Gallop 5k 26:20 PR!!

08/14/2011- Run Jane Run 10K 57:40 PR!!

08/20/2011- OROC 5K 26:15 PR!!

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    1. Apr 29, 2010 8:13 AM (in response to ModernMaven)
    Re: Any vegetarian or vegan runners in here?

Hi there I'm a vegetarian runner!  I can't really answer your question though, because I was a vegetarian before I started running.  I've never felt like getting enough protein was a problem for me.  My sister is also vegetarian and between the 2 of us we've done almost 10 half marathons.  Have you tried any of the fake-meat products (such as Morningstar or Boca)?  They are in the frozen section, and they make almost any kind every kind of meat product (but vegetarian, obviously).  They have fake bacon, sausage, chicken, hot dogs.  Not to mention they are way less in calories/fat than the actual meat products.  Morningstar also makes hamburger crumbles (basically like ground beef) that you can make all sorts of things with, like Sloppy Joes and chili. My favorite is the Morningstar Garden Veggie Patties. (They have 10g of protein).  Another staple in my diet is Greek Yogurt.  It was hard to find a couple years ago but now the popular yogurt brands, like Dannon, have started making it.  It has about 15g of protein in 1 serving.  I also eat a lot of nuts.  I love cheese but I'm trying to cut back on it...I would like to go vegan one day (probably far in the future )

I don't know if you're into reading blogs, but here are 2 you might want to check out.  Both of these girls are atheletes (running/biking) and they are vegan/vegetarian.  They post a lot of recipes so you could get some ideas from them:

Oh She Glows

Healthy Tipping Point

Good luck!

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    2. Apr 29, 2010 9:11 AM (in response to ModernMaven)

If you're OK with dairy, low fat cottage cheese is a great source of protein, at 14g per 1/2 cup.  I like to have it with Del Monte raspberry-flavored peaches on top for breakfast.  (It's quick and easy to prepare too.)

I second CLS89 on Morningstar Farms; IMO they're the best "fake meat" products on the market.  My favorites are the corn dogs and buffalo wings.  Most of their products use egg whites, so not for pure vegans.

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?
  • msucj21 Pro 58 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    4. Apr 29, 2010 4:42 PM (in response to ModernMaven)

I consider myself 75% vegetarian because my boyfriend is and we live together so I am used to cooking vegetarian meals.  It's all about getting the proper proteins and complex carbs in your diet.  I suggest eating a lot of beans.  One meal I love to make is bean tacos.  I just put black beans in a pan and use half a pouch of taco seasoning for one can.  I've found they actually taste better than tacos with meat in them.  Another good meal includes wheat pasta with edamame and broccoli.  Just be sure to eat beans, low fat dairy, whole wheat carbs and tons of fruits and veggies and you will see your stamina increase.

MSUcj21

3/21-Shamrock Shuffle 8K- 46:24
    4/10-Wrigley Early Start 5K- 27:36

4/25-Ravenswood Run 5K- 27:18
    5/1-CPD Run to Remember 5K- 26:54
    5/29-Soldier Field 10 Mile- 1:36:42

6/6- United Run for the Zoo 10K- 57:55

7/11- Utica Boilermaker Road Race- 1:31:29
    8/1-Rock n Roll Half Marathon: 2:13:57

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    5. Apr 29, 2010 7:27 PM (in response to ModernMaven)

I spent most of my life as a vegetarian and a few years as a vegan,  during which I posted my best times speedwise. Although mainly for  convenience and other nutritional concerns I eat an omnivorous diet now,  I think you can successfully run and compete as a veggy.

The  main problem most vegetarians have is a lack of vitamin B12, which is  found in animal products and is essential to health. Sports supplements  and energy drinks like Red Bull contain B12 as an energy boost, but B12  is a complex molecule that the body does not absorb easily, especially  with age. The "catch-22" is that insufficient B12 leads to stomach  dysfunction and a reduced ability to digest and absorb nutrients like  B12.

The stomach normally secretes "intrinsic factor"  that attaches to the long B12 molecule, allowing it to be absorbed in  the lower end of the small intestine. Even so, absorption rates are a  fraction of intake, which is why most supplements contain several  thousand times the RDA of B12 to compensate.

While  flesh foods contain B12 in muscle cells that are gradually broken down  in the small intestine where B12 must be absorbed, supplements and  drinks are not guaranteed to release the nutrient at the proper time to  insure absorption. The best way for a veggy to guarantee enough of this  vitamin is through sublingual (dissolved under the tongue) tablets,  which are inexpensive and can be found most anywhere including Walmarts.  Most are composed of cyanocobalamin, some more expensive types of  methylcobalamin, but I prefer the active dibencozide form that so far I  have only seen in health stores made by Country Life. I use them before  my runs and races.

Nutrients dissolved under the tongue are absorbed  directly into the blood stream by sublingual blood vessels, so they  bypass G/I issues like intrinsic factor that make other supplements  fail. If this does not work for you, you can always get a B12 shot from  your doctor due to your vegetarian diet. You could start there and see  what a difference it makes.

• NancyLFreeman Legend 243 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    6. May 1, 2010 4:41 PM (in response to JamesJohnsonLMT)

Eggs and dairy products also naturally contain B12.

To the original poster, I'd say if you don't want to go the fake meat route, pick up a few vegetarian cookbooks and try out some recipies, see what you like.  I use Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" as a primary source, and latey I've been working my way through Najmieh Batmanglij's "Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey".

visit me at RunningUpThatHill, my blog on Wordpress!

6/3/12 Maraton Rapa Nui 5:00:49 (PR)

10/16/11 Istanbul Eurasia Marathon 5:10:25

2/20/11 Lost Dutchman Marathon 5:29:50
    2/19/12 Lost Dutchman HM 2:10:08 (PR)
    11/22/12 Mesa Turkey Trot 10K 59:48 (PR)
    4/14/12 Phoenix Firefly 5K 28:41 (PR)
    Upcoming:
    12/2/12 Fiesta Bowl HM
    12/8/12 PHX Hot Chocolate 5K
    6/23/13 Bay of Fundy Marathon
    2/14 Tokyo Marathon
    11/14 Antarctic Ice Marathon
    ?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points