Skip navigation

25420 Views 74 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2010 6:17 AM by RNCJr RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Pamela Shadzik Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Sep 12, 2010 2:14 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Civil War Century 2010 Reviews

The weather was fabulous, the route was challenging but beautiful.  Really an excellent ride.  The only disappointment was the very poor quality of cold cuts at the end of the ride....otherwise it would have been five stars!

• Jlamarre Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 12, 2007
    31. Sep 12, 2010 2:20 PM (in response to Guest )

Perfect!!!!  Great support!

• Stephen Hansen Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2008
    32. Sep 12, 2010 2:37 PM (in response to Guest )

Excellent event.  The Baltimore Bicycle Club did a supurb job of organizing this.  Registration was smooth, the course was very well marked, and the route sheets were accurate.  The course was well patrolled by SAG wagons.  Ample volunteers at breaks and a nice party at the end.  The 100 mile course is challenging but beautiful.  Be prepared to climb.

• ccooperdavis Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 22, 2009
    33. Sep 12, 2010 2:49 PM (in response to Guest )

Excelent route markings. Great support staff and really good ice cream.

• JulesYK Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 13, 2010
    34. Sep 12, 2010 3:00 PM (in response to Guest )

This probably is the best "big" ride in the DC area, particularly since they have limited entrants to 1,600.  The rest stops are great, as are the volunteers, and the routes are very scenic, with plenty of climbs on the longer routes.  Riding through the Gettysburg battlefield is a wonderful added bonus.  The food (especially the ice cream!) at the end of the ride is a very good way to end the ride.  For those looking for a real challenge, either the 77 mile or full century rides have a ton of climbing.  This is the third year I've done this ride, and I'll be back next year with my daughter in tow!

• metfan630 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    35. Sep 12, 2010 3:38 PM (in response to Guest )

This was a fantastic day.  I did the Metric Century and my wife did the 50 miler.  Scenic, easy to follow the route, great rest stops and some challenging climbs as well! Note that I didn't look at the cue sheets once, which looked a lot more intimidating than the route proved to be, instead following the orange marks on the road, as well as the other cyclists. 

The weather was perfect as well.  Such a fun day!

• kimcycles100 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 15, 2009
    36. Sep 12, 2010 3:46 PM (in response to Guest )

I volunteered and rode the metric.  Thanks to all of the other volunteers that supported my ride.  The day was perfect.  And a special thank you for the iced tea at at the Fairfield Rest Stop.  Please make iced tea a regular feature of both Fairfield and Mt. Aetna.  The combination of caffeine and sugar is perfect for cycling!  And as always, loved the ice cream! 

• jsuskey Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 18, 2009
    37. Sep 12, 2010 3:48 PM (in response to Guest )

The weather was perfect; not under control of the organizers.  The Support was EXCELLENT--- totally under control, well planned and done with such kindness!  I would like to THANK ALL THE VOLUNTEERS for their effort and dedication...(((((((STANDING APPLAUSE!))))))))

P.S. Don't do this ride-- it's too hilly ;+) AND if you don't go it will save room for me next year again, ha ha!

• AlanS2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2010
    38. Sep 12, 2010 4:07 PM (in response to Guest )

The Ride was great again this year. Wonderful weather, fantastic volunteers.

But, one thing about the route - here is a quote from the Sept 8th e-mail - "We have made a few changes in the 50 and 63 mile routes - a few hills were added in the early portion of the routes."  Why?  Take them back out!  Especially the 50 mile route. If we want hills we will ride the 75 or 100 mile routes. The route was much better in previous years. The extra climbs did not add to the scenery or have any other positive effect.

I look forward to next year.  Thanks again

• ashackel Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    39. Sep 12, 2010 4:18 PM (in response to Guest )

Great work on the part of the organizers, volunteers and the local citizens. I had a ball, even tho' it remains the absolute most challenging ride of the year for me. This year nearly killed me. But, being alive, I will have to commit to next year.

• Igorcat Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2009
    40. Sep 12, 2010 4:36 PM (in response to Guest )

Great volunteers, great rest stops.  Killer hills on the 63 miler out of Emmitsburg up to Gettysburg!

• ecantori Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Sep 12, 2010 4:52 PM (in response to Guest )

I have participated in dozens of organized rides and this was the very first time I have needed support during a ride. I flatted about 40 miles out and had no problem with swapping tubes but my co2 inflator could not develop enough pressure. A SAG support stopped and ask if I needed any assistance. I asked it he had a floor pump and the driver said yes but he had a 'real' problem down the road - asked again and he grumpily got out repeating again that he had a 'real' problem to get to. He produces the worst low end pump I have ever seen (walmart?) and when I had problem with it he snaps that I should carry a frame pump as helps attach it. It barely could handle 100 psi. I thanked him and he huffed off. This took all of 2-3 minutes. I would have had to terminate my ride or ask for assistance from another rider. I appreciated the help but not the attitude. Many, many thanks to my fellow riders for asking if I needed help. If BBC volunteers can't at least fake a good attitude they should stay home.

• 8Kuhar Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2010
    42. Sep 12, 2010 5:13 PM (in response to Guest )

My wife and I are fairly novice riders and this was our second CWC.  We did the metric in '09 and this year.  We definitely noticed the difference from last year with the couple of extra hills added.  It was a workout for us novices, but we liked the extra challenge.

Just as last year, the course was very well marked.  Didn't really need the cue sheet.  The volunteers were very, very nice.  The food and drink were really terrific.  This being our second year, we were really looking forward to the tomato sandwiches, peaches and ice cream at the end.  And you didn't disappoint!  Loved the bluegrass band!

Thank you BBC.  We drove all the way down from Ithaca, NY to be in this ride.  We'll be back again next year!

• Jeff H Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    43. Sep 12, 2010 5:14 PM (in response to Guest )

I look forward to this event every year.  It was marked great on the roads and the rests stops are supported very good.  I've been riding this event since it started and this year I finally tackled the 75 mile route.  Completed fine and can't wait to try the full century next year.  To everyone keep up the great support.  This is my highlighted tour each year.

• Mark Strickenburg Rookie 1 posts since
    May 21, 2008
    44. Sep 12, 2010 5:50 PM (in response to Guest )

A very well run ride. This is the best century in the NE region. Very challenging and well supported. BBC volunteers were all GREAT !

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...