Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4605 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2010 12:30 AM by kaylee1120
Texas-grrl Amateur 11 posts since
Apr 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 30, 2010 12:31 PM

Weird sensation after running on treadmill

I have started having a weird sensation after I finish my runs and step off the treadmill. It feels almost as if I am floating. Does anyone else experience this?

• TIPPET 7 Pro 64 posts since
    Mar 25, 2008
    1. Apr 30, 2010 12:51 PM (in response to Texas-grrl)
    Re: Weird sensation after running on treadmill

When I use to run on the treadmill I would get the same feeling.  I no longer use a treadmill, because when it comes time to run on the road, its like you never had one bit of training.  I would advise to stay off the treadmill if you are planning on doing a 5k or 10k etc.....

• deleteseptember201218act Expert 44 posts since
    Feb 22, 2010
    2. Apr 30, 2010 1:08 PM (in response to Texas-grrl)

I have experienced that every time I get off of it. I don't know what it is but it definitely IS weird. Maybe because your eyes are no longer looking in just one direction while your legs are virutually going nowhere? Almost like when you get dizzy? I have no idea.

Completed Events...

Raincross Run 2010 - 5K - February 20th - 59:16 (I know, slow, but I did it)

Walk for Kids by 100 Mile Club - 5K - March 13th - 59:00

March of Dimes - March for Babies 4.5 miles - April 24th

Graduated the C25K program - May 3rd

Cool Runnings 5K Beginner program - W3D2

• biggirlpride Amateur 23 posts since
    May 1, 2010
    4. May 11, 2010 11:43 PM (in response to Texas-grrl)

Yes, and I hate it. It's like I'm dizzy or something; thats one of the reasons I dont run on them anymore. Also like was mentioned earlier in the thread, running on treadmill and running outside is two different things. If possible do the outside running. Good luck!

• TIPPET 7 Pro 64 posts since
    Mar 25, 2008
    5. May 12, 2010 5:29 AM (in response to Texas-grrl)

When I used to run on the treadmill, as soon as I got done with my run I would immediately go outside and walk about 3 blocks to get that shaky feeling out of your legs and it seemed to work like a charm.

• RunningAwayinTN Amateur 26 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010
    6. May 12, 2010 9:11 AM (in response to Texas-grrl)

I get the same feeling. I make sure and walk for at least five minutes on the treadmill after my run. I make sure and look around some (not to the point of endangering myself) while I'm walking so I'm not just looking at one focal point. Then I slow down the treadmill gradually until it is stopped. Then I slowly get off. This has helped a lot with that weird detached/floaty feeling.

• xCDOGx Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 27, 2010
    7. May 12, 2010 10:56 AM (in response to Texas-grrl)

I don't find running on the treadmill all that much different than outside.  I did all of the C25K on a treadmill except W7D1 and W9D3.  I complete those two outside, and that was entirely thanks to the time I spent on the treadmill.  The exercise is the same, it takes the same amount of effort (wind resistance in most locations isn't much).  It's a lot more boring, but it's just not accurate to say that it doesn't help you train, because it does.

As for the weird sensation, I get that too for a few seconds, it's a little weird.

Barefoot/Minimalist Runner

4/30/10 C25K Graduate

06/06/10 Hook and Ladder Run (5K) - 36:54 (Huaraches)

06/20/10 Spirit Run (5K) - 35:17 (Huaraches)

• tara658 Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    9. May 13, 2010 8:05 PM (in response to Texas-grrl)

I've had this sensation after finishing a run on the treadmill.  I'm not sure why it happens, though I'm sure that running for an extended period of time in the same fixed position at generally the same speed has some effect on it.  For me, it's gone away after a few minutes, usually by the time I've finished stretching, and sooner if I've really taken the time to cool down by walking immediately following my run.

• kaylee1120 Amateur 10 posts since
    May 5, 2010
    10. May 14, 2010 12:30 AM (in response to Texas-grrl)

Yes ,i had the same experience on treadmill before. But now i do not run on the treadmill,

instead i do the outside running,which help me keep in good shape and i can avoid  experiencing the  dizzy sensation.

www.p90xshow.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points