Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1657 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2010 4:12 PM by snowcat2 RSS
snowcat2 Rookie 5 posts since
Nov 24, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2010 4:13 PM

What kind of recovery can I expect with acute achilles tendinitis

Started out with mononucleosis a week ago.  I ran before I knew I was sick but was off about a week before back of heel and ankle started getting sore.  In a matter of 48 hours, it was inflamed, swollen, and I could not walk on back of my foot.  Went to Dr. and was given a boot and crutches and oral steroids for inflammation.  Doc says mono can sometimes bring this type of pain on.  Has anyone ever heard of mono causing this?  How long does this take to heal?  I run and would like to get back to it as soon as possible, but doc says I could tear it if I start back too soon?  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,153 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

It is true that certain infections or inflammatory processes can increase the likelyhood of tendonopathies, but so can medical treatments like antibiotics and steroids. Even anti-inflammatory medications can slow your progress down, though they may make you feel better in the short term.

It took me 6 months to get back to running after my bout with tendonitis, which was bad enough I could hear the tendon move when I flexed my ankle.

Here is one doctor's description of the complications of steroid use (even remedial steroids) in conjunction with lower body injuries...

http://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=2785

Medscape weighs in on terminology and treatments about halfway down this link...

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1235456-overview

Here is an entertaining blog that illustrates how medical opinions on tendonitis and inflammation are changing...

http://targettendonitis.com/

Another fascinating discussion (1/3 down) in a podiatry forum on changing attitudes towards diagnosis and treatment, in this case of fasciitis...

http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/6294

I found this article on treatment from CyberPT to be very refreshing...

http://www.cyberpt.com/COWalrodprolotherapy.asp

"The times they are a-changin'" -Bob Dylan

• AlexNordach Rookie 1 posts since
    May 4, 2010

Thanks for the link to my blog, James!  Glad you find it entertaining, hahaha.

To the OP:

I will admit that my expertise doesn't encompass tendon pain that stems from conditions other than overuse.  However, what I can say is that in my experience (more than 30 years of it, now...) I have never once seen a tendonopathy that resulted from anything else.  So IMO while your mono might have created enough general "system overload" to push your tendon pain to the point that it became a conscious issue for you, I seriously doubt that it was the root cause of the condition.

If you aren't clear on the difference between tendonitis and tendonosis, I suggest you read my article on the subject (at the link).  You can also read this article to get a slightly fuller understanding of the issues involved.  While the vast majority of tendon pain cases are diagnosed as "tendonitis" (meaning inflammation of the tendon), most of them - by a wide margin - are actually tendonosis (which is actual degradation of the tendon).  In your case, however, it sounds like you *might* just have a real case of tendonitis on your hands (or feet).

So, here's the deal:  If it is tendonitis, you will want to rest, start ice therapy, take NSAIDs, maybe try some friction massage.  You might want to also start taking a good oil supplement to help combat systemic inflammation.  Recovery should take not more than a couple of weeks. If, however, it's tendonosis, then you are going to want a completely different approach that involves not wasting time on anti-inflammation therapies, and instead focuses on specific healing exercises for your achilles tendon(s).  This is what I cover in my book, Target Tendonitis.  (Yes, I'm selling something.  Sorry, but it's how I make my living.)

Be aware that tendonitis and tendonosis are not mutually exclusive conditions; it's perfectly possible to have both simultaneously, or to start out with tendonitis and have it morph into tendonosis over time.  But assuming that you have only tendonitis at this point, and assuming you REST for enough time (ie, don't continue to re-injure yourself), it shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks for you to get better.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points