Skip navigation

2373 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2010 3:03 PM by dkhartung RSS
MikeCantrell Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 2, 2010 7:43 AM

first 70.3, technical/mechanical question

hey guys - i'm doing my first 70.3 in lawrence, KS june 6. i have done shorter tri's, and the transition time was super important, so i knew to throw shorts on over my speedo for the bike and run. but now i'm wondering:

1) what do people wear for each section in a 70.3? do you change wetsuit to bike shorts and bike jersey to compression running shorts and other shirt? if so... where do you change? it's packed and open to the public, right? is there a 'look the other way' policy for people who strip in there?

2) honestly, what do you do when you have to pee (outside the water)? you pee while biking? you don't stop, do you?

i know i've got strange questions, but didn't have anyone to ask, and these things matter!

cheers

mike

• jdreece Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 6, 2009
    1. May 2, 2010 8:26 AM (in response to MikeCantrell)
    Re: first 70.3, technical/mechanical question

Wear the shorts you plan to bike/run in under your wetsuit - simply strip the wetsuit and your off. I picked up a pair of biking/run shorts for $45. If your not wearing a wetsuit than swim in what you are biking/running in. There is a no change policy on the Lawrence, KS race for obvious reasons.

On the second question, many will simply go to the bathroom while biking and/or running. I think this makes sense for those that are really competetive, but as for me - I'll stop and use a tree I'm not all that worried about 30 seconds to a minute saved by peeing myself.

Maybe I will see you there! This is my first triathlon and i can't wait. I just rode the course yesterday and it is simply fantastic!

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    2. May 3, 2010 10:47 AM (in response to jdreece)

Putting the no change policy aside, there's no reason to change in different outfits after every event.  Big waste of time in my opinion; you'll easily double your transition time.  And if the clothes are not going to make you any faster, why bother?  I guess you may have valid comfort or other reasons, but if the transition time is very important to you, then dump the idea.  As jdreece said, just wear your bike/run outfit under your wetsuit.  The less you have to do at transition and the less you have to carry to the race on race day, the better. 

On the second issue, I second the use of a tree.

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    3. May 10, 2010 11:43 AM (in response to MikeCantrell)

Hi Mike,

Cool - you're getting close to a pre-race taper!

A lot of people wear tri-suits under their wetsuits, 1 or 2-piece, sometimes the 2-piece are more convenient for bathroom issues... they are made of sleek material that dries quickly & is comfy & have just a tiny bit of padding vs. regular cycling shorts.

On the bike, it's going to be a field, or on yourself... My hubby can do that - gets really smelly. I can't relax enough.

Many 1/2-iron events have porta potties on the run segment. The 1/2iron in Racine only had them at the turnaround, so most of the course people used shrubbery to shield themselves, or just dropped & went.

Important topics, don't worry about it!

I hope June 6th is a great day for racing!

:-) Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• dkhartung Pro 98 posts since
    Aug 2, 2007
    4. May 10, 2010 3:03 PM (in response to IronMakeover)

Hi Mike,

Good luck at Kansas.  I've done that race the last two years and ridden it a umber of times so hopefully you find this helpful.

Wear:  No changing areas, but I just wore a thin padded tri short under my wetsuit for the swim, I pulled on a pair of bike shorts inT1 for the ride, then took the bike short off for the run.  No problem.  Frankly, I might just wear a speedo this year and pull bike shorts over for the ride and run shorts on for the run.  easy

There are porta potties at the aid station on the ride course which you pass at the 17 mile mark, and again at around 24.5 miles.  Here's a map from when I rode the course if you need it:  http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ks/lawrence/918123989213034144 .  It is also very rural on the course so plenty of places to stop if needed.  Pee on the bike?  If I think that might make the difference in getting a slot to Clearwater, ok, but otherwise do you really need the mess?

The run course is two laps around the campground, with a windy out and back within each lap.  I recall that there wasn't much of a problem finding a good spot.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...