Skip navigation

5692 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2011 10:42 AM by AssistBasketballNetwork RSS
coachmm Amateur 35 posts since
May 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 6, 2010 2:26 PM

Top 5 camps

I am currently a JUCO  coach  and have been coaching for 20 years.  I have been all over the  country  and seen many camps.

4.      Nike Coaches Clinics - Still good but have dropped  in quality.  You get  less now than you did 10 years ago.

3.      5 Star  Camps - Great for exposure and  competition.  In my opinion this  should be your last camp, 11th or 12 th  grade. You are able to gauge    where you are at compared to other  players your age.  Needs work on  teaching aspect yet, Superb,  knowledgeable, friendly staff.

Five-Star  was originally opened  for the top players in the country. Today,  Five-Star continues to  attract the nation’s best talent; however they  have re-designed the camp  several years ago to ensure there is a place  for players of all skill  levels. Players  in grades 5 - 8 welcomed.

2.    DON MEYER Camps -   Coach Meyer is  the best-kept secret in basketball.  Despite   passing Bobby Knight, Dean Smith and Adolph Rupp on  the all-time NCAA   men’s college basketball coaching victory list.  One of the best   teachers in the game, I can't get enough of his incite.

1.     Point Guard College -   I have learned so much in the last three years.  The staff is amazing,   the content is great.  It is an intense training opportunity   geared toward  mature, dedicated and eager-to-learn athletes.  Point   Guard College (PGC) is a no-nonsense learning experience  for junior   high school to college-aged male and female  student-athletes.    This is not your typical basketball camp.  It's called a “college” for  a  reason.  If you do not want to work to get better then go somewhere   else.

Don't   let the name fool you! PGC  is open to players of all positions.   PGC believes everyone  should have the mindset of a point guard  because  everyone has the  capacity to influence the group and be a  playmaker.

The    multi-course curriculum is specially designed to teach basketball    players to play the game intelligently, to train purposefully, and to   be  true leaders during games, in practice, during the off-season, and   in  everyday life. I share this with you because I personally attended   and  the program had a big impact on me.  I also had the opportunity to   see  how it impacted the skills and approach of the athletes that   attended.   In my 20 years of coaching I have not seen a better camp.

This   summer,  PGC will be offering 45 sessions across the United States and   Canada. I  urge you to consider optimizing your off-season development   by  attending Point Guard College. There are three (3) courses for you   to  choose from 2010: THE PREP SCHOOL,   THINK  THE GAME, and ESSENTIALS.

(1)   The Prep School: Geared toward  athletes in the   7th-10th grades.  Learn more at www.pointguardcollege.com/pgc/prep-school

(2) Think    The Game & (3) Essentials: Focused on    serving student-athletes in the 9th grade to right up to college-aged    athletes. More info is available online: Think The Game - www.pointguardcollege.com/pgc/think-the-game     / Essentials - www.pointguardcollege.com/pgc/essentials

By    attending a course this summer, you can learn skills and concepts to    take your game to the next level. None of the courses are 'better'  than   any other. Each course just has a different focus. All of the  courses   use a "See It, Hear It, Do It" format; that is, a combination  of video   analysis, in-class learning and on-court instruction.  Ultimately, that   is what makes the content and teaching unlike any  experience you’ve had   before.

Log   on to their website at www.pointguardcollege.com to get more info on PGC and read what graduates who have gone on to   play  college and professional basketball have to say about its impact   on  them.

Once    you’re ready to register for a course, use the PROMO CODE: "AMBP2".  By entering this code, you will    automatically be entered into a drawing to win back your tuition.

I can’t    wait to hear all about your experience at PGC! If you have any    questions, I’d be glad to answer them for you.

Best regards,

Edgar    Medinilla

East Region Representative
Los Angeles   Basketball  Coaches Association

PGC COACH AMBASSADOR

"I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice."

-Allen Iverson

• SoCalHoops Rookie 4 posts since
    May 18, 2010
    1. May 18, 2010 1:54 PM (in response to coachmm)
    Re: Top 5 camps

Hello, great info. However can you recommended a good camp for under 7-10th. My son's in the 6th grade and is looking to build his strengths playing the 1-2 spot. In the So.Cal, Los Angeles area.

• Clef Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    2. May 30, 2010 12:38 PM (in response to coachmm)

I have my son scheduled for 5 Star camp in July.  He is looking forward to the challenge of going up against some of the best high school basketball player in the South.

Message was edited by: Clef

• CoachJanT Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010
    4. Jun 11, 2010 2:35 PM (in response to coachmm)

I found a lot of really good upcoming camps here http://tipsanddrills.com/basketball

I hope it can help you

• Busdriverkid Legend 362 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010
    5. Jun 14, 2010 12:48 PM (in response to coachmm)

Yeah, one of my friends is goin to point guard college this summer

• basketballhq Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 9, 2010
    6. Oct 10, 2010 10:48 PM (in response to coachmm)

If you are not able to afford a camp or if you simply want the convience of having hundreds of drill right at your finger tips checkout my website basketballhq.com

These drills are not like most of the other websites you will see where there are a few drill recorded with low quality cameras who really want you to buy a 40 dollar DVD. My website is all recorded in HD and is constantly being updated with new drills, workouts, plays, and coaching articles. This website makes sense and is affordable for only $17 dollars. Don't just work hard, work Smart.

• Clef Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    7. Oct 11, 2010 5:07 PM (in response to Clef)

Update... My son attended the 5 Star Camp in Orlando, FL.  I was not happy with the sleeping accommodations but we made the best with what we had.

The camp was tremendous. It took my son's game to a new level. It was like dropping off one person on Sunday and picking up another person on Wednesday.  His confidence was through the roof. I regret that 5 Star does not have another camp before tryouts in Florida.

Fortunately, I found a great instructor in the Tampa Bay area by the name of Dan White of Backcourt Basketball Academy.  His work ethics are as vigorous as 5 Star, but with a smaller setting to encourage confidence and knowledge of the game.  Believe me he knows the game.

Kudos to 5 Star and Backcourt Basketball Academy.

• basketballhq Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 9, 2010
    8. Nov 17, 2010 5:56 PM (in response to coachmm)

Basketballhq.com is now FREE! Hundreds of drills and workouts for free.

• AssistBasketballNetwork Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 3, 2011
    9. Jul 3, 2011 10:42 AM (in response to coachmm)

I cannot believe that Snow Valley Basketball Camp in Santa Barbara is not on that list.

I am starting a new thread on the best basketball camps in Europe.

www.assistbasketballnetwork.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...