Skip navigation

1527 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2010 9:51 AM by Malik18 RSS
PhillipJ14 Amateur 17 posts since
May 9, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2010 11:23 AM

basktetball

i love to push the ball down court on a fastbreak but sometimes i cant make up my mind what im going to do wit it. can someone give me some advice. sometimes i pumpfake to my teammate and i score but it doesnt work all the time.

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    1. May 16, 2010 4:19 PM (in response to PhillipJ14)
    Re: basktetball

Phillip,

Reading a fast break as a point guard is obviously vital to your team's success, its all about reading the defense and making the right decisions. Read and react to whatever you see the defense gives you.

Some options could be:

1.) Throwing it ahead to an open teammate for an easy layup

2.) Personally taking it to the hole

3.) Stopping at the free throw line for a jump shot

4.) Pulling it out to set up your offense if nothing is available.

Being smart takes time and experience but you'll be able to understand how to react to a defense in no time, let me know if this helps you at all.

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

• Malik18 Legend 377 posts since
    Mar 29, 2010
    2. May 18, 2010 9:51 AM (in response to PhillipJ14)
    Re: basktetball

You cant just fake the pass and score, because they will figure that out quickly, in order to be effective, your opponent has to think you might do anything with the ball.

What you should do is watch your defender,if he steps up to you, pass to your teammate

If he watches your teammate,put the ball up

if he does neither, keep going, eventually he is gonna make a choice, and you just have to act accordingly

if its a 1 on 1 break, first decide whether or not you can take the ball fully to the basket without this person stopping the play, if you can, then go ahead.

if you cant, this is the only possible time where a jumper should be an acceptable option

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points