Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1819 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2010 6:10 PM by pinkey74
pinkey74 Amateur 20 posts since
May 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2010 4:13 PM

First 5k is done, now what?

Hi all,

So, I completed my first 5k yesterday, which was incredible!  I'm 36 year old woman, less than a year ago i weighed 113 lbs more than I do today (thank you gastric bypass surgery), and would have laughed at the idea that I would be running, yet here I am.  I have signed up for another 5k in 3 weeks, but am trying to decide if I should continue to train for 5ks and work on getting faster (yesterday i finished just under 32 minutes) or if I should train for a 10k. I have been running every other day or so, about 3 miles for the last month or so.  Advice or ideas?  This is all so new to me that I am not sure what direction to take.

• akaerock Pro 120 posts since
    Apr 7, 2010
    1. May 18, 2010 6:22 AM (in response to pinkey74)
    Re: First 5k is done, now what?

Hi Pinkey,  Congrats on completing your 5K!  I just finished my first 5k race on Saturday. I started out using the c25k program but I feel that I need something more challenging to improve my 5k race time.  Im going to use < a href="http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kinter.htm">Hal Higdons 5k Intermediate training. That will help me improve my 5k times and it will also prepare me for my 10k race in September.  Thats the program I recommend using if your able to run 3 miles without stopping. Or you can use his novice program also. Depending on what you feel comfortable doing. He also has very good 10k programs if your interested in training for the 10k.

Try different things, until you find a routine that works for your physique, metabolism, time constraints, etc. Then train smart, with consistency and intensity, and you will be successful.” Iron Charles http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/IronCharles/

2012 AKAEROCK'S EVENT SCHEDULE

Training Log at Daily Mile

My Facebook Page

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    2. May 18, 2010 7:51 AM (in response to pinkey74)
    Re: First 5k is done, now what?

pinkey74 wrote:

I have signed up for another 5k in 3 weeks, but am trying to decide if I should continue to train for 5ks and work on getting faster (yesterday i finished just under 32 minutes) or if I should train for a 10k. I have been running every other day or so, about 3 miles for the last month or so.  Advice or ideas?  This is all so new to me that I am not sure what direction to take.

Let me ask you this: as soon as you crossed the finish line of your race, was your first thought, "I want to do it again faster" or "I want to a longer race next time!"?   I think your gut reaction will tell you whether you will enjoy honing your speed in 5Ks or reaching for the next distance.  But keep in mind that one doesn't exclude the other.  You can train for a 10K and also do some basic speed work which will improve your 5K.   You did a pretty decent time for a first 5K and your speed will gradually increase to a certain point just by running regularly.   Then you will reach the point where you really have to push for speed if you are so inclined but that is further down the road (pun intended!)

Even if you are mostly interested in fast 5Ks, you will benefit from longer runs to build strength and endurance and chances are once you start running 5-6 miles regularly you won't be able to resist the draw of the 10K.  So my advice would be to concentrate on slowly building up your distance and let speed take care of itself - for now.  I think once you get more experience you will see which direction you want to take and how to get there.

Congrats on your race, BTW!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points