Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2910 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2010 5:36 AM by dorrian3 RSS
dorrian3 Rookie 5 posts since
May 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 17, 2010 6:51 AM

knee/shin pain

I started running the C25K about 5 weeks ago with my boyfriend's sister to get her started running.  I've been running to stay in shape for a few years.  So I've been using the program with lower speed runs instead of walking.  We have been taking our time advancing in the program doing each week twice.  After the last run on Saturday I noticed that my lower leg was really sore. It felt like a nagging pain along my shin.  I thought this might be shin splints and stayed off my feet the next day, iced it, and took advil.  The pain has really not gone away.  After resting, I now can tell that the pain is actually in the lower inside of my knee.  It is a nagging pain that stays whether I'm walking or sitting and feels like it travels down my shin.  I've never had shin splints before so I'm not sure if that is what I'm experiencing.  If any one knows what this might be or if there is anything I can do besides ice, it would be greatly appreciated.  My boyfriend's sister is starting to really get excited about working out and I don't want to disappoint her by having to take off too much time.

• defender of wildlife Rookie 1 posts since
    May 6, 2010
    1. May 17, 2010 7:15 AM (in response to dorrian3)
    Re: knee/shin pain

Well after talking to a marathoner at Whole Foods, he recommended 'Ribose Muscle Edge".   This is a powder formula that supports muscle recoverey, increases energy & endurance. I ran my 1st 5k may 15th@ age 47. On my 1st day had a lot of lower, upper leg pain and stiffness, now on my 2nd day feeling much better.  I added Ribose to my choc. milk 15min after run, than again 1st day.  your body naturally produces 'ATP' but after running it gets depleted. This powder will add it back faster than the 3 days you would norm. I iced, took ibruprophen, soaked in Epsom salt, stretched a lot, rested, and walked around house/stairs. If your pain is a 5+ and continues after 5 days see a Dr. perhaps you have a tear in muscle/tendon? Let me know how it turns out.

• Haselsmasher Legend 513 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    3. May 18, 2010 6:34 AM (in response to dorrian3)

Your story is very odd:  You've been active and have successfully done the ramp-up to a consistent running program - so your body can handle it, yet when you "go back" and do the beginner's program an injury arises.

Given you have a different routine (i.e. running with someone, slower pace, etc.) is there something you're doing significantly differently and may not realize it?  For example, are you now running on a slanteed surface and when running alone you weren't?  Or are you on MORE of a slanted surface?  For example, if you ran on the edge of a road when alone, and run on the same road now but are running two abreast are you closer to the edge of the road where it is more slanted?  I'm not, literally, saying these are the issues.  (Maybe they are.)  But might there be something mechanical or repititious in the new routine that didn't exist in the old routine?  That change may point you to a new strain you're putting on your body, or something like that.

Are you having any other knee issues?  Clicking?  Popping?  Locking up?  Giving out?  Those can be issues with meniscus.

Shoes, as always:  Make sure they're fresh.  Other than that - a visit to the doc?

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. May 18, 2010 7:20 AM (in response to dorrian3)

dorrian3 wrote:

A little more background....I"m 30 and definately not overweight.  Two months ago, I was running an average of 20 miles per week.  When my boyfriend's sister wanted to get in shape I suggested that she do the C25K and thought that I would do it with to try and increase my speed.  So now I'm only running about 10-12 miles per week just at a higher speed.  I do have custom fit sneakers that are getting old but shouldn't need to be replaced yet.

Any advice I can get would be helpful since as I stated I'm very impatient and am driving myself crazy between the pain and figuring out what I did to hurt myself in the first place.

So how is the change in speed happening?  Have you increased turnover? Lengthened stride?  Are you perhaps over-striding in going faster? (Reaching out with your front foot to plant it in front of your body.)  Over-striding can put a lot of stress on the knees.  The other question is how much faster are you going?  Changes like this should be introduced gradually.  A sudden increase in speed (or distance) can also stress the muscles and joints.

Len

Len

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    6. May 18, 2010 10:27 PM (in response to dorrian3)

A good thing to know about pain is that it is not always felt where  it is caused. Any attempt to interpret pain should take into account  that the pain has already been interpreted by the brain, and the brain - as in optical illusions - often gets it wrong.

The  concept of referred pain has been a part of conventional medicine for generations, but it it is rarely considered because it is so illogical. Why does an amputee feel pain in a missing limb? Why is a heart attack felt as a pain in the left arm? More importantly, why does your knee hurt?

There are 3 muscles (in addition to the adductors)  whose tendons attach to the tibia on or very close to the spot where you indicated your pain is felt. All of these three, the Vastus Medialis (inner quad), Gracilis, and Sartorius, are capable of  creating  pain signals that the brain maps to the inner knee, even  though  these  muscles and their dysfunctional fibers are located well up on the thigh. To complicate things, a chronically tight muscle can also cause   tissue near its tendon to inflame if  neglected long enough, or greatly increase pressure (along with wear tear) on a joint, and overworking it with continued exercise  (running) or stretching can exacerbate this problem. Pain meds are likely to simply delay healing in exchange for brief respite from  pain, so let's get down to the business of solving this for real.

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/legmuscles/vastusmedialis/tutorial.html

Finding the muscles in question on the above  interactive chart, examine each for tight bands of fibers which are likely to contain sensitive spots that register pain when felt or pressed. Bear in mind that almost anything can hurt if pressed hard enough. It's abnormal sensitivity you're looking for. In the case of the  Vastus Medialis, sensitive spots in that muscle just above the knee can actually cause the knee to give out, requiring some to walk with a cane.

Regardless of  location, dysfunctional knots in your muscles can be returned to normal in some cases by firmly stroking the area, or in tougher cases by sustained pressure to inhibit blood flow to  the knot. Lest you think you are immune to muscular dysfunction, almost  everyone has several  knots (often called trigger points) at any given  time, and they have  been observed in the newborn and the dead. Like germs, they are easy to get and hard to kill, unless you attack them directly as described. They can also produce chronic symptoms like what you describe.

If  you need help with removal techniques, here are some instructional videos which may or may not require registration. The Doctor who prepared them likes to maintain some control over his  ...

http://lifeafterpain.com/vault/treat-your-triggers/finding-triggers/

http://lifeafterpain.com/info/muscles/trigger-point-treatment/

A   case history on the Vastus Medialis...

http://lifeafterpain.com/info/trigger-point/knee-trigger-points-the-case-of-mysterious-falls/

No   doubt there is something about your running form that picks on one or   more of the muscles controlling your knee. Issues with foot stability   can be particularly hard on the quads. Even as I gained experience as a   runner, problems with my quads did not improve until I learned how to   improve the stability of my foot. If you have reason to suspect foot   stability may be an issue for you, consult a good sports podiatrist.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points