Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2967 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2010 12:12 PM by Surfie57
zeus135 Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 19, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 17, 2010 9:08 AM

I doubt I'm the only one who didn't like the bib....

In my opinion, the person who designed the bib for yesterday's race should be tarred and feathered.  Sure, it's a great idea to have the bib 'green' so you can grow flowers once it's buried.  As soon as I felt it though, I knew it would be a problem since it was so stiff.  Sure enough, at about mile 6 in the race, my bib was so wet from sweat that the safety pins ripped through the holes in the bib.  I saw dozens of other wet, ripped bibs littering the race course, and I finished in well under 2 hours.  After a few attempts at keeping it on, I finally folded it up and put it in my pocket.

The whole MCHH experience was unbelievable though.  The support and organization was second to none. I applaud everyone who was involved.

I'll be back next year.  I hope the bibs will be better though...............

• chug0lug Expert 44 posts since
    Oct 29, 2008

Mine was ripped by mile 3, I tried fixing it once and by mile 4 it was folded and in my pocket.  I'm a little slower and had plenty of perspiration going, but at one point I thought I may have flowers blooming in my pocket by the time I finished.  This was my first MCMHH so I didn't really know any better, but figured this couldn't be the standard for bibs in many races.  If I ever end up in another event with this type of bib, I may have to go get it laminated before the run.  Everything else about the race was wonderful and I'm looking forward to the MCM in October.

A goal without a plan is just a wish

• dude22 Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Mine lasted until about mile 7, and then it became a handy baton!

Overall it was a great race and I loved the course, but that bib was really annoying.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    3. May 17, 2010 10:18 AM (in response to zeus135)
    Re: I doubt I'm the only one who didn't like the bib....

It sounds as though the whole "green bib" idea was not a great idea and rather foolish.

• @RunRayRun Pro 122 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    4. May 17, 2010 10:19 AM (in response to zeus135)

Agree ... I was surprised to get a D-Tag at the expo. They probably already knew about it few days before the race so they went to D-Tag as a backup. I had success with B-Tag during the Suntrust Half Marathon, but it wasn't made of paper. Overall, I agree ... it was a nice race except for the hills, I plan to redeem myself next year

~ Tumblr ~ DailyMile ~ Twitter ~

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007

Hey I feel lucky my lasted to around mile 9 then I just folded it up and held it inn my hand, I guessing there not going to use them during the 35th MCM in Oct of this year

you would have thunk I be used to the hills this being the third time but nope, Love the cours and love the town..........

I guess i will have a couple of pics on the course......

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• emilymargaret Pro 69 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007

Agree...the bibs need a little work. Mine actually stayed in the entire race and then some. My husband's on the other hand was off around mile 9. This was our 3rd year doing the MCHH (streak!) and we're already looking forward to next year. I heart Fred and the MCHH. Awesome race and weekend!

Thanks to the race committee and all the volunteers. And the awesome town of Fredericksburg!

• This IS my race pace Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 19, 2007
    7. May 23, 2010 11:36 AM (in response to zeus135)

The eco-friendly bib was the right idea for the wrong race.  For a 5k or an event that will see mostly walkers participate, it's a great idea and I'm sure would have been a great success.  However....

putting a WATER-SOLUABLE bib on SWEATY people RUNNING 13.1 MILES in Northern Virginia HUMIDITY was as we all agree now NOT a good idea.  At first I carried mine after it fell off at mi.3 because I didn't want them to think I was a bandit so I folded it and stuck it in the back of my shorts so I wouldn't have to carry it 10 mi.  Then about mi.4 I took it out to look at it and about 1/2 the face peeled off and stuck on my back so I just threw it in the general direction of the garbage can at the 2nd water stop.  I'm not quite sure but I think I've got an living 3D Iris tramp stamp.  At least it isn't permanent.  What disappoints me the most is I keep all my bibs and that one was one of the coolest designs I've seen yet.  Suprisingly, I found no pictures of myself when I put in my name and bib number on the Marathon Photo page.  I'm not motivated enough to look through approximately literally 8,000 general male pictures to find my dumb arse.

Very nice course and fun event - except from mi.10-12.  Oh, curs'd Hospital Hill.

• Surfie57 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 23, 2010

If they were that bad in just humidity and sweat, I'd hate to see how quickly they disintegrated in actual rain!  As someone who loves to keep any racing bibs (I have a whopping 3 so far), I would have been very disappointed to have mine ruined.  I like the idea of making them green, but hopefully they'll find a better way to do so next time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...