Skip navigation

1870 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2010 12:55 PM by KingJames24
KingJames24 Amateur 13 posts since
Apr 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 19, 2010 3:05 PM

HELP!! I need to raise my confidence...

When i am shooting sometimes i get mad and go in. I started to stop myself when i kept stopping. I usually practice alone at home and when at school, if i miss 1-2 three pointers, kids say i suck and i let that get to me and it really brings my confidence down.  Im 5'7, 12 years old, and 120 lbs.... HELP :/

• Busdriverkid Legend 362 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010
    1. May 20, 2010 5:38 AM (in response to KingJames24)
    Re: HELP!! I need to raise my confidence...

Sinse your only 12 I would take all shots from about 9-15 feet away then just gradullay work your way up.

• Malik18 Legend 377 posts since
    Mar 29, 2010
    2. May 20, 2010 9:38 AM (in response to KingJames24)

There are a few things you should do to solve this issue:

1.Practice,Practice,Practice- Keep shooting, keep working to be a better shooter, what helped me become a good shooter, is that i used to practice shooting from sun-up to sun-down. while im not saying you have to do that, you should put in a lot of shooting work to get better. i STILL put up hundreds of shots daily to improve.

2.Torch Them-When someone says you suck,they are gonna think that until you really burn them with your jumper a few times, they will catch on soon enough

3.Thick Skin-No matter how good you get, someone is gonna say you suck, even if you are better than them, you cant let it hurt your confidence. if someone said i sucked, the next game, i will let loose and destroy their team. i still do that today, you have to have a toughness about yourself and a "prove them wrong" attitude, otherwise everyone will be able to mess with your head when they need to

4.Belief- You have to believe you are good, believe you are better, when me and my brother began to play basketball,(very beginning) we never said we sucked, we never let anyone say we sucked, and we believed we were good and were gonna get better. now you cant really say anything to either of us.

its self fulfilling prophecy.as long as you know youre good, thats all you need to go out and play

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    3. May 20, 2010 11:34 AM (in response to Malik18)

All athletes go through slumps, in any sport, it happens to the best of us. The key is how quickly can you overcome it?

Particularly in basketball you go through what is called a shooting slump. By far the most frustrating time of the season is when you’re stuck in a 2-week shooting slump. Nothing is falling for you, confidence is down and you are now even missing layups and free throws.

How does this happen and more importantly how do you get out of it?

The majority of the time shooting slumps are a mental thing, you are mentally and physically fatigued. Somewhere along that 2 week stretch you missed a few shots either in practice or a game and panic, frustration and negative thinking implemented themselves into your mind. So first things first, let’s regain our positive mind frame. Take some time to slow down your mind and mentally picture yourself shooting the basketball with success, replay all the difficult shots you have made and all the hours you have spent shooting. This will re-establish your positive thinking. It’s a great 15 minute exercise.

Next, do something about it. Ask your coach to borrow 2 game tapes. One of which you shoot the ball well and one with you in your so called shooting slump. Watch both of them with great focus, take notes and really concentrate on your techniques. Something could be slightly off with your mechanics.

Here’s what could be slightly off:

1.) Your balance - feet and shoulders squared to the hoop, shoot straight up and down, you should land in the same spot as where you jumped from.

2.) Elbow in – I know this happened to me a lot while playing, if I noticed I was missing more shots then usually it was because my elbow was out. Keep your elbow tucked in tightly.

3.) Grip - Watch where you grip the basketball, pay attention to your guide hand. The guide hand has a tendency to move slightly, make sure you monitor that.

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    4. May 21, 2010 9:56 AM (in response to KingJames24)

Well, I'm 13, and I can see where you're coming from. When someone says that I'm not as good as them, I prove them wrong. That's the type of attitude you should have. You need a "prove you wrong" attitude. If somebody makes fun of you, don't let it bother you, and later you can show them that they were wrong.

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    5. May 21, 2010 10:36 AM (in response to adanny14)

great point!

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points