Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

86904 Views 508 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2011 8:55 AM by SweetInsurgent 1 2 3 ... 34 Previous Next
Miranda29 Amateur 11 posts since
Mar 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 21, 2010 7:23 PM

(Re-)Starting C25k May 23rd... anyone else?

Hi all,

I originally started the program back in April.  I got to Week 4, Day 1 but I got a horrible chest/head cold, and then started a stressful new job, both of which completely wiped me out for 2 weeks.  When I got back at it, I didn't want to start any of the weeks over again so I did Week 4, Day 2 which went great.  But when I did Day 3, I got a horrible stabbing pain in my foot.  It was the last 1 minute of the last 5 minute interval, so I pushed through it... then spent the next week limping around.  I took a lot of advil, iced it 3 times daily, but it was only when I finally bought myself some insoles for my shoes that it got better!

I talked to my doctor, and I'm going to buy myself some new shoes at a specialty store tomorrow and then start the program again on Sunday.  Is there anyone else starting this week who wants to share their progress/achievements/frustrations along with me?

~Miranda

• allie711 Expert 54 posts since
    May 21, 2010
    1. May 21, 2010 7:49 PM (in response to Miranda29)
    Re: (Re-)Starting C25k May 23rd... anyone else?

Hi there,

I've recently been doing a lot of research on C25K and trying to hear others feedback on the program. Although I'm not a new runner, I have been running/walking for about 20-30 minutes 5 or 6 days a week for the past 8 months or so. My problem is that I'm a slow runner and would like to improve my time and endurance and apparently this program helps exactly that, ALOT. So I think I'm going to start this program on sunday the 23rd as well . I'm really anxious to see if the program is as succesful for me as it is for everyone else I've been reading about. I'm looking forward to being able to increase my distance and endurance!

-Allie

May 21, 2010
    3. May 21, 2010 9:31 PM (in response to Miranda29)

That's such a shame your foot had to interrupt when you were making great progress. You are so right, it always seems like a minor setback becomes major when it comes to running and all the progress gets kicked to the curb. I guess it's good to know that you can already make it so far in the program before you had to stop. I'm sure you'll do even better than last time!

When I was reading around about the program I read alot that you should let other people know that you're starting the program, because then it's harder to quit. So then I stumbled upon your post and figured it would be perfect, since we would be on the same pace as well.

I'll probably be nervous about those straight 20 minute runs as well. I always had to break up my running with a few minutes of walking, usually I run/jog a mile and then walk a few minutes to catch up with myself. I'm hoping this program can fix that, as I'm sure it will since that's what it's designed for! it's good to know someone else will be ont he same track

• jowjo5 Amateur 28 posts since
    Feb 1, 2009
    4. May 22, 2010 9:17 AM (in response to allie711)

HI

I am on my second attempt as well, had surgery so i had to stop. But today I finished W4!!! I struggled I will admit. In fact I had to dig waaaaay deep to get through the 5 minutes. If you dont mine I may jump on board with you all on this thread. I am starting week 5  but I may re-do week 4 because it was so hard to do. NOt sure yet.

Congrats on running, tomorrow is my off day so Monday will be W5 for me. UGH, it looks scary!

Joanne

• Krissie1005 Amateur 8 posts since
    May 22, 2010
    5. May 22, 2010 12:29 PM (in response to Miranda29)

Hi guys

I am starting the program on Monday and was hoping to find a group starting out with me. I used to run quite a bit before I had my kids (now 1 and 3 yrs old). Since my second baby, I have developed some very unhealthy habits (not exercising, drinking way too much diet soda, etc.) and needed something structured to get me back on track. I really enjoyed running so much then but feel so out of shape now. I am hoping that I can just follow the plan precisely at first and not over do it too much so I stick with it and see results. I am also doing a cross training program to help lose about 20 pounds.

Good luck on your runs tomorrow! Can't wait to hear about them:)

I am working tomorrow and my days are 17 hours long when you count the driving 2 hours each way and working 12 hours. Not sure how I am going to get my runs in on those days but I am determined to figure it out.

Thanks!

Krissie

krissie

• MaimeMaher Amateur 29 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    6. May 22, 2010 5:32 PM (in response to Miranda29)

I actually started last week and was looking for a thread of people starting around the same time, so I'd love to join you.  Actually, I didn't quite do week 1 because I walked 5 minutes between the 1 minute jogging intervals.  I want to make sure I go nice and slow this time around so I don't suffer any injuries.   I also jog really slow.  I mean REALLY slow.

So this week I'll try the real Week 1 schedule.

• KaaSD Rookie 6 posts since
    May 11, 2010
    7. May 23, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to Miranda29)

I'm actually following the training schedule from the book The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: http://www.keplers.com/book/9781580052054 today and was looking for a group of runners that could share the frustration with any type of training program.

Mind if I hang here? Tonight is the big shoe buying event for me!

May 21, 2010
    8. May 23, 2010 9:01 AM (in response to Miranda29)

everyones welcome =]

just finished day 1, and it went great. except for the lousy weather outside.

hope everyones running is going well!

• JenCali Rookie 4 posts since
    May 23, 2010
    9. May 23, 2010 9:50 AM (in response to Miranda29)

Hi Everyone,

I just started back to C25k yesterday after a VERY long break.  I've been through a lot of medical stuff in the last year or so and since that helped me gain weight/get out of shape, I'm now trying to "get back" to where I should be.  I started Weight Watchers last week and this week, it's time to kick things up and get back to running.  I used to be very active, even was a running coach.  Now, I'm definitely completely out of shape.  So, I'm excited to meet all of you who are starting out on this program together.  Last time I did this was at least a year--maybe a year and a half ago.  I was a lot lighter, which made it easier.  I'm looking forward to using this program to reach my weight loss goal.    Last night was just day 1 and even though I was red and breathing heavily at the end, I'm surprisingly not too sore today. 

Allie, glad your first day went well, too!

Happy Sunday everyone!

Jen

• MaimeMaher Amateur 29 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    10. May 23, 2010 11:31 AM (in response to Miranda29)

Hi everyone!  I got through Day 1 this morning.  It wasn't too hard but as I said, I'm going really, really slow.  My schedule this week will probably be Tuesday and Thursday.

Anyone else using a treadmill?   I'm planning on using this until I finish.

• TessInPhilly Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 6, 2010
    13. May 23, 2010 1:35 PM (in response to Miranda29)

Hi everyone,

I'll be starting today as well. I originally started the program April 3rd and was moving slowly through my second extended week when I started to get really bad knee pain. It was totally devastating - I was crying as I walked back to my car and everything. So I sat it out, iced my knees, and invested in a quality pair of running shoes from a speciality store. My last day running was April 20th, so it's been a full month. I've gotten lazy, only been exercising sporadically, and have gained back all the weight I lost while I was still doing C25k. I have my 1st race on June 5th which I plan to run/walk, and another on August 21st.

About me: 24, female, recent college graduate, working 2 part-time jobs, live in Philadelphia. 5'4", 155 lbs (down from 185!).

We can do it!

-Tess

• Jennifer82354 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 23, 2010
    14. May 23, 2010 3:23 PM (in response to Miranda29)

I'm starting tomorrow - just signed up today, but want to make running in the am my habit so I pushed the start date back to tomorrow. Haven't found a race in my area yet, but I'll start looking soon. I ran cross country way back in high school (25 years and a lot of pounds ago), so walking never seems like exercising to me, but I'm too out of shape to just run. Hopefully this will get me back into it. I also hope this will get me in shape to play soccer and tennis with my son.

1 2 3 ... 34 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...