Skip navigation

3353 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2010 10:52 AM by beek192 RSS
michelelash Amateur 10 posts since
Aug 5, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 23, 2010 6:34 AM

Dry mouth or dehydration

For the past few weeks, maybe a few months, I've been having very dry mouth.  It's been getting progressively worse. It's constant all-day long.  I have to keep water by my bed when I sleep.  Lately, when I swim, my throat has been feeling dry and weird as well.  I drink a ton of water, minimum of a gallon a day, usually more than that.  I'm only training for sprint tri's, doing do more than 5-7 hours of training each week which is not outrageous.  I am nursing my baby, so I need a bit more water for that.  But I drink so much and I don't have any other signs of dehydration.  Is this common or should I look at other potential causes for this?  I think it might be some other issue.  Anybody else experience this?

• Einherjar Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 28, 2008
    1. May 24, 2010 8:31 AM (in response to michelelash)
    Re: Dry mouth or dehydration

Have you talked to your doctor about it? Could have something to do with being a mom. I've never experienced continuous dehydration like that before, but definitely get it while swimming.

Xterras are fun.

First 50k - 10/16/2010 - 4:20

Half and Full Ironman in 2011

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    2. May 24, 2010 8:50 AM (in response to michelelash)

You may be peeing large amounts of sodium causing high potassium levels in the blood = hyperkalemia. The cause may start with adrenals and hormone fluctuation combined with training.

• beek192 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 29, 2008
    3. May 26, 2010 10:37 AM (in response to michelelash)

You should have your blood sugar levels checked. An unquenchable thrist is very common with elevated blood sugar levels. I don't mean to scare you but the exact thing your describing happened to me. When I went to the Dr they ran tests on blood and urine and found I was borderline diabetic. Fortunately I caught it early, made some drastic life changes and reversed the condition. If nothing else cut out all sugar and carbs for a few days and see if that helps.

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    4. Jun 1, 2010 10:36 AM (in response to beek192)

beek192 did you find that in one test or a series of test....I always test negative but I swear I have ,Thin Man Diabetes and all the symptoms

• beek192 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 29, 2008
    5. Jun 1, 2010 10:52 AM (in response to grid-rider)

A glucose tolerance test showed that I had reactive hypoglycemia. After many years of searching after receiving the diagnosis I found that the reactive hypoglycemia was simply a symptom of adrenal fatigue (no thanks to all the Dr's I saw). I followed Dr James Wilson's (google him) protocol for rebuilding the adrenal glands and that had a profound impact on improving my blood sugar levels and constant unquenchable thirst.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...