Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1928 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2007 8:52 AM by itri RSS
itri Expert 48 posts since
Sep 13, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2007 12:38 PM

Speedwork for Marathon

I am a triathlete who is looking to improve my running pace. I am a fairly strong biker and an adequate swimmer, but feel like my running is not up to par with the other two diciplines. I tend to beat alot of my friends on the bike only to watch them pass me on the run. I am planning on running the ING Miami Marathon in January 08. I am looking to not only get a good base for triathlon season, but actually start improving my running pace. I have done one other stand alone marathon in Tampa a year ago and ran a 3:44, running around an 8:15 pace before water stops etc. I have done two other marathons during the course of Ironman races, but there was no emphasis on pace, just survival. I would like to 'approach' 3:30. For my marathon in Tampa I used the Hal higdon Intermediate 1 plan and was very happy with my results (was just looking to get under 4:00). I started out on his Intermediate 2 plan this year, but there is no speedwork on either plan except for one 'pace' day a week. I didnt do the advanced 1 because I cannot schedule 6 running days in my life right now. I feel good aerobically, but I do not feel like I am getting faster. How critical is speedwork and are there any good 5 day plans out there that incorporate this? Any other suggestions improving pace would be appreciated.

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 3, 2007 3:41 AM (in response to itri)
    Re: Speedwork for Marathon

I'd say long tempo runs would do the most to help you.  But what you need is guidance to build your own work-out plan.  Try picking up a copy of "Daniels's Running Formula" by Jack Daniels, PhD.  It is the one book I've found that offers the theory and "how-to" behind building a training schedule.  It also goes into the physiological reasons for the various training techniques and when they're applicable.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...