Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1866 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2010 10:41 AM by aprophet1 RSS
Leigh Limpic Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 26, 2010 9:39 AM

Running my first half-marathon

I seem to be reading conflicting opinions about running vs. running/walking a race.  I have been running for 3 months and hope to run my first half-marathon in Sept.  How do I decide whether to train using a run/walk pln or running only plan?  Please note:  I am very new and this is a big stretch to try to complete the Sept. half marathon.  I have a 2nd scheduled in Jan. which I am more confident I will be able to run the whole way.  Thanks for any guidance!

Leigh Limpic

• mrsgoose8 Amateur 33 posts since
    May 10, 2010
    1. May 26, 2010 9:54 AM (in response to Leigh Limpic)
    Re: Running my first half-marathon

well, I'm new myself, and I'm not TOTALLY sure what you're asking but I'm just going to go ahead and share my story.

I've been running since January (did the C25K) and I'm running my first half on Sunday. I for the most part followed Hal Higdon's half marathon training program for "novices". I ran as much as I can, but I definitely walked some of the time (and will walk some during my half on sunday I am sure!). I think you just should shoot for running as much as you can, but listen to your body! If you need to walk, walk, know what I mean? 

HTH! Good Luck to you!

http://onerunningmum.com/

First 1/2 Marathon- 5/30!!! Completed!!! 2hr30min49seconds (good time for me! )

• aprophet1 Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    2. May 26, 2010 9:56 AM (in response to Leigh Limpic)

I try to do 6 min run/1 min walk or 1 mile run/1 min walk (depends how I'm feeling).  I have used intervals in every half marathon but the first one.  The first one was my slowest time.  I know that some of that was because it was my first race and I didn't know what to expect.  I also ran out of energy when I tried to run the whole thing vs saving something for the end with the walk breaks.  But again, you have to race how you train so you need to make a decision rather quickly.

Dec 6, 2007
    5. May 26, 2010 10:01 AM (in response to Leigh Limpic)

I started out with the 3 min run/1 min walk.  I worked up to doing 6 minutes.  It takes some getting used to but it does work after a while.  Good luck!

Dec 6, 2007
    7. May 26, 2010 10:41 AM (in response to Leigh Limpic)

I didn't do the whole race with those intervals.  I did it for the first 10 miles and it worked pretty well.  You're right that it gets to be a little bit annoying to remember your intervals.  However, I also increase my running time to 6 minutes during the last 3 miles because I felt really good.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points