Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4584 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2010 9:50 PM by BradenMommyof5 RSS
BradenMommyof5 Pro 176 posts since
Jan 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 27, 2010 9:50 PM

Help! How do you run with Deltoid Ligament ankle pain?

Bio:  I am a fairly new running.  After 4 years of no regular activity, I started the Couch to 5k in January, graduated from that in March and ran my first 5k 2 weeks ago.  I run 3 days a week and workouts consist of two training runs (hills or speed training) and one long running (push the distance).  The longest I've ran is 4.1 miles and I can run about 3 miles without too much difficulty.  My average pace per mile is 10:15.

For about a month now I've been experiencing sharp pain in my inner ankle, which I believe to be in the area of the deltoid ligaments.  I don't remember straining/spraining it.  I have tried running more "relaxed" (currently am  reading and learning "Chi Running" method and find that when I can run without to much "push off" motion in my toes, the ankle pain is not as noticable.  I do feel it after my runs and will often feel a sharp twing in my inner ankle many times in a day.  I would classify it as a nagging pain that is sharp and often shoots through the inner part of my ankle, directly under my ankle bone, sometimes extending to the top of my inner ankle area.

I don't know what do to about it!  I really want to run a 8 or 10k this summer and want to keep up with my 3 day per week schedule, but not at the risk of permenantly sidelining myself.

Has anyone else experienced this type of pain?  Should I consider it an official injury?  Back off my running?  Change my running form and run differently?  I'm lost.  I'm also one of those lucky souls who is currently without insurance and would really love to avoid a visit to a doctor.  I'd love some advice from someone who's been there!

Thanks!  Looking forward to hearing from YOU!

BradenMommyof3

Attachments:

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points