Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

764 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2010 6:14 PM by JasonCR
JasonCR Pro 70 posts since
Aug 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

May 28, 2010 6:14 PM

small quality water bottles, they are hard to find!

Right now I carry a 12oz Gatorade bottle with custom mix. (I drink a separate 12oz bottle about 20 min prior to HM event.)  What I don't like is that it's difficult to drink out of on the run (twist cap off, tilt head back, recap), and that I could use about 16oz.  What I do like is the thin bottle, and the upper grooves provide an easy grip.  The 20oz Gatorade bottle is too large for my preference.

All the "sports bottles" down at the sport stores are HUUUGE.

I tried a 16.9 oz Aquafina water bottle + a flip cap from a 24 oz Aquafina water bottle -- but the flip cap is hard as heck to snap, and their bottles are made of such thin plastic now, eww, crunch crunch crunch, it's gotta crinkle and leak eventually.

Something like this possibly:

http://www.rei.com/product/776890

But with the "reduced diameter" just above middle for grip, not at the bottom.

Any suggestions??   (ps. no water belt suggestions please.)

edit: ha, I went down to REI and found that 16 oz CamelBak bottle ... it's larger than my 20 oz CytoSport twist-cap bottle.  I found a nice 16 oz Clif Quench twist-cap bottle though, that'll do -- nice finger groove and it's the same diameter as my 12oz bottle.  Most bottles are 16.9 oz / 500 mL not the slightly smaller 16oz.  It makes a noticeable difference, amazingly.  I'll just deal with the twist-cap or hack together a custom cap and straw ...

Just Do It!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points