Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1206 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2010 10:51 AM by mrsgoose8
mrsgoose8 Amateur 33 posts since
May 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 1, 2010 8:55 AM

PF or something else?

So, I can't get to make an appointment until tomorrow with a podiatrist so im hoping someone will have some ideas.  My foot is currently in a bucket of Ice.   I ran my first 1/2 on sunday. During mile 11 or 12 I started having really bad pain in my foot. Background, I am pretty severe pronator. I run in Brooks and i also have some super feet in my shoes (had those about 3-4 weeks, including the half I have only done 3 long runs in the super feet).   I can replicate the pain by sort of rolling my ankles outwards... So that I am standing on the outer edge of my foot. It definite,y feels like something in my tendon or ligaments. It sometimes gets much worse if I'm walking and take a wrong step, know what I mean? Enough to make me need to stop.  I want to try and describe it better but i gotta go get my baby. :) any thoughts are appreciated!!!!

http://onerunningmum.com/

First 1/2 Marathon- 5/30!!! Completed!!! 2hr30min49seconds (good time for me! )

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 1, 2010 11:42 AM (in response to mrsgoose8)
    Re: PF or something else?

The symptoms of PF are usually worst when you first start using you foot after some inactivity: your first steps out of bed in the morning, or if you've been sitting for a while and get up to walk around.  It usually eases after you walk a bit.  The pain is generally in the front of the heel and into the arch.  One test is to press the middle of your heel with your finger.  If you feel pain you may have PF.  If it's not that, more detail on the "where" and "when" of the pain would be helpful.

Len

Len

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    4. Jun 3, 2010 7:13 AM (in response to mrsgoose8)
    Re: PF or something else?

My recommendation is to rest, ice and see the podiatrist like you planned.  I've struggle with Achilles tendonitis and PF for three years now and it is better to be patient and get your feet back in shape before doing to much running.  I'm not a good follower of my own advice but after my next marathon (21/2 weeks away) I'm taking some time to heal up.  Good luck, oh and be prepared, orthotics are very expensive so ask your podiatrist if there are other treatments you can try before jumping right into them.  I've tried them off and on several times over the last three years without much luck and they just kill my feet even worse when I wear them.  Hope you find some relief!

Pete

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...