Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

839805 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS 1 2 3 ... 315 Previous Next
coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 1, 2010 7:44 PM

50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

Well apparently there are a bunch of us out there 50 and older, and we are either ready to finish the C25k program or have finished it. So, now what?

Do you try to improve your time? Your distance? Both?

Do you run races to stay motivated?

Do you run outside, or on a treadmill? Is one better than the other?

Are you dealing with any running-related injuries, and what are you doing about them?

What are your challenges? Talk about them here.

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

Hey,

I am 50 and also a C25K drop out. I decided in week 6 to just run beyond the program. I started it late March and am now running 3 days a week at a consistent 5.5 to 6 miles each run.

I run on a treadmill but plan to eventually get outdoors to run. I am not currently planning to run races but will not count that out down the road. I run on Monday-Wednesday-Friday and do a kick boxing/weight training work out Tuesday-Thursday.

My present goal is to maintain 6 miles per run working on my form, breathing and increasing my pace gradually to improve my per mile times.

So far I have been lucky having only a blister problem when I first started and a knee pain I am still working through.

My other goal is getting my Nike + and ipod to record accurately for once. 30 minutes in to my run it stops tracking my pace showing 00.00 as my pace. This also screws up the distance in the final totals. After numerous e mails and phone calls Nike passed the buck to Apple. More e mails and calls only resulted in Apple being as clueless as Nike. A perfect example of corporate greed with the consumer at the bottom of their food chain. I hate to rant on about this but I feel that having accurate data is essential to progress and goal setting. Inaccurate data is as totally worthless as the Nike/Apple approach to customer support!

I hope others will add their running related success stories and goals here, great idea for a thread!

Onward and Forward !

• Atsipootes Pro 102 posts since
    Oct 26, 2009

My trainer is 50 years old now and he is always running with me

This year, he said, he wants to run 50k race And I think he will do couple of marathons this year too Or maybe we will even try to run 70k race or something like that

I am now training for a marathon.

Feel the joy of running

http://www.you-run.com

Mar 21, 2010

Hey Coolbikermom,

My short term goal is to stay at the six mile mark while focusing on form and pace. A ten minute mile would be nice but as a fairly new runner I am setting my goals realistically. I would settle for an eleven minute mile while continuing working on my form.

As of yet I have not set a long term goal. I want to get further in to running properly before setting any long term goals.

I am running for the personal challenge as well as the over all health benefits. Losing weight is not some thing I want to do. I feel that increasing my distance would lead to weight loss much the same as running faster will do. As it is I am doing a balancing act. Strength training for size and shape, and running for cardio. I am learning what food intake I need to maintain my current physique, a very hard thing to do now that I am running. At any rate, I am ahead of the game considering I have not run in well over thirty years but now doing eighteen miles a week.

This thread was a perfect place for me to land. I hope others will join in to talk about were they are and what they wish to achieve.

Onward and Forward !

• lindakay228 Legend 201 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010

HI everyone.  Had a very busy work week and this is the first time I've had a chance to drop in on this thread.  Looking forward to more with it.

I am up to running 30 minutes now, but can't do the 5k in that time yet.  I'm working on building up longer distance and also time somewhat but more the distance first.  I'm signing up for races to keep me motivated.  In my area there's not much, but there is a small 5k next Saturday, June 12th that I'm going to participate in.  I have also done 10k and a half marathon, knowing I would be walking fast most of the time but like the challenge.  I wasn't doing 5k until I could run it more, like now, because walking 3 miles isn't that much of a challenge for me and I wanted longer events if I'm walking.  But now I will be mixing it up more and hopefully will build up to running 10k and half marathons.  Maybe eventually a full marathon but for right now my biggest goal is to run a half but that's going to take a while to accomplish.  The half marathon I walked was in early May, and by next year I want to go back and do that one again and run the whole thing.  It was in Shiprock NM and was a great event and well organized, although not huge.  There were about 300 marathoners, and 298 half marathoners and I don't know how many relay racers.  But definitely one I want to go back to.  So far the events I've been in have been small. My biggest event was the Bataan Death March Memorial at White Sands NM in March in which I did the 15 mile course and walked most of it.  I hadn't even started training to run yet then, although I did run a little bit.  There were 5700 people at that event and it was awesome to me because there were 3 Bataan Death March survivors there to send us off and lots of military men and women.  But I have not had an opportunity to do any of the really big events.

Look forward to hearing everyone's experiences.

Whole Enchilada 5k, Las Cruces NM 9-26-10 43:32

All Souls Trail Race, Silver City NM 10-30-10 45:55

Global Health 5k Run/Walk, Albuquerque NM 11-6-10 40:11

Ultimate Fitness 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5k, Deming NM 11-25-10 38:35

New Beginnings 5k Jan 23, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 40:20

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 12, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 39:54

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

Fort Bayard Wilderness 5k Trail Race May 28, 2011 40:52

Ultimate Fitness 9th Annual Turkey Trot, Deming NM 11-24-11 35:14

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 11, 2012 Las Cruces NM 38:29

Mar 21, 2010

Lindakay,

Glad you made it here. I am quite certain this thread will generate more excitement as time goes on.

Coolbikermom,

I had the same thing happen with my weight. Initially it poured off but it soon stabilized. I am not sure if it was the change in my intake or my body just said enough is enough. I am just glad I stopped dropping it so fast.

As for getting that extra distance in, just do it! Even if you only get half the distance increase you are still ahead of the game. You will get there even if it takes a little more each time.

Update:I just got home with a replacement ipod. Hopefully it will work like it is supposed to so I can track my stats for a change.

Onward and Forward !

• MomofNine Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I am so close to 50, that I thought I would join this blog.  I also have 9 children (ages 2-18)...thought that would qualify for a few extra years!  This is my second 5K in a year.  I have really hit a wall in training...lots of pain and an inablity to establish a good breathing pattern.  I have been training to run a 5k for about 4 weeks.  Before I started training, I ran about 25 minutes at a leisurely pace.  I have begun a training program and I am pushing to increase my pace, but am encountering a lot of resistance from my body!  Aching knees, hamstring tightness and a general inablity to get through the run (up to running 38 minutes)  I am determined to just run the race in three weeks, but I would really like to enjoy it.  Thanks for this blog...hope you all will accept this youngin'!

• lindakay228 Legend 201 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010

Thanks coolbikermom for the compliments.  I blush a little when told how inspiring I am but then on the other hand if I can help someone then that's great.  I'm actually considering seeking training to become a personal trainer to work with those that are overweight and feel they can't do it, the disabled, and the elderly.  Haven't started doing anything with it yet but am really considering it.  Maybe they won't be runners but maybe they would be.  But to help them get moving and believe that they could get healthier and that they are never too overweight or too old to accomplish new things would be my goal.

As for my running, thanks for the advice.  That's actually what I was kind of thinking of doing so it's good to hear someone else give me feedback that I'm on the right track.  The last week I've had more trouble getting out and getting my running done since the weather suddenly turned very hot!  Saturday I did the treadmill at the gym although that' s not my favorite way but I'm going to push through this and not stop. Today I will figure something out and get it in.  I have a small 5k this coming Saturday.  Signing up for things is what I need to keep me motivated.

MomofNine  glad you joined us!  That's a lot of kids and it sure would keep you busy!  I had 5 kids and now I have 12 grandkids.  You're certainly welcome here in my opinion, even if you have not quite hit the 50 mark yet.  Sometimes it's hard to find groups with "older" runners as opposed to the 20 and 30 year olds.  I really enjoy the support from others that are more in my age range.  I am not fast and at this point not even going for speed except to improve myself.  When I compete in races, which I've just started to do, I do it for myself and because I get a big kick out of wearing a bib and a timing chip and feeling like an athlete for the first time in my life.  It's not important to me to beat everyone else out there.  Not going to happen.  But to keep pushing myself to do the best I can do.  That's where the fun is for me in it.

Gotta get to work.  Have a great day everyone!

Whole Enchilada 5k, Las Cruces NM 9-26-10 43:32

All Souls Trail Race, Silver City NM 10-30-10 45:55

Global Health 5k Run/Walk, Albuquerque NM 11-6-10 40:11

Ultimate Fitness 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5k, Deming NM 11-25-10 38:35

New Beginnings 5k Jan 23, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 40:20

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 12, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 39:54

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

Fort Bayard Wilderness 5k Trail Race May 28, 2011 40:52

Ultimate Fitness 9th Annual Turkey Trot, Deming NM 11-24-11 35:14

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 11, 2012 Las Cruces NM 38:29

Mar 21, 2010

Welcome Momofnine,

It could be that you are pushing too hard. I would slow the pace down and work for distance or a set time first then build up your pace after your endurance level improves. The same things happens to me when I try going too fast, I hurt in all the same places. I slowed down to go for distance and have had no pain at all but can go a lot farther. Hook up with coolbikermom, she can possibly help you with a really good breathing exercise.

Lindakay,

You are inspiring! Any one doing what you and coolbikermom are is an inspiration whose efforts I can relate to. I am of the opinion it is not how far or how fast you run, it is that you are running and making every effort to better your self. Far too many people get started then fall off deciding it is too hard. You have true grit for staying at it.

Coolbikermom,

No dice, the new iPod does the same thing. Pretty frustrated with Apple and Nike both. If it were not that I just spent a wad on my new treadmill I would just get a GPS and start tracking my stats on out door and trail runs.

I am staying steady at six miles. It is hard to say if my pace is improving with my inaccurate stats but I sure dig running.

Onward and Forward !

1 2 3 ... 315 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...