Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

841388 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 315 Previous Next
  • donna0325 Expert 53 posts since
    Jul 12, 2010

I went to the Denver Rock N Roll Expo yesterdy to pick up my HM packet.  WOW!!!  Lots of free stuff and lots more cool running gadgets & gear for sale.  Can't believe all the stuff I didn't even know I needed.

The starting line-up is @ 6:25 tomorrow morning, so it will still be dark for the start.  I think it's supposed to be in the high 40's.  I"ll check back in here tomorrow after the race.

Donna

Half Marathon:

Heart & Sole, Boulder, CO - 8/22/10 - 2:09:51

Denver Rock N Roll, Denver, CO - 10/17/10 - 2:11:01

Platte River, Littleton, CO - 4/10/11 - 2:01:31

10K:

Bolder Boulder, Boulder, CO - 5/30/11 - 58:00:00

5K:

Quicker Quaker, Lafayette, CO - 1/8/11 - 26:57

• MangoLuvr Laurie Pro 82 posts since
    Oct 3, 2010

Wow!  Everyone is having such GREAT race results - WTG!!  I think this cool autumn air is helping a great deal, too.  I almost signed up for the Raytown Schools Run for Excellence yesterday, which took place this morning, but didn't really feel that great in the afternoon,  and hated to spend $30 unless I could really go for it.  A group from my church was doing it so that would have been a lot of fun, but oh, well, I wimped out.  Maybe next year.  At any rate, I woke up at 7:30 this morning feeling much better than expected,  so decided to go for a 6 or 7-miler, with hopefully some running (hadn't run a step since my 10k two weeks ago today).

Did the first 2 miles at a fast walk in 27:54, and decided I felt pretty darned good so decided to do a timed trial for the next 2 miles to see exactly what I could do for that distance.  Finished the first mile in 10:37 (thrilled!!), then, in spite of having to stop and walk briefly twice in the second mile, finished that one in the same exact time, 10:37!  Felt very happy with this result, and gained confidence that I can probably break 35 min for my first 5k (in the graveyard) on Oct. 30, which would thrill me to no end.  Wound up doing 7 miles, with less than one more mile of it running, but figured that staying on my feet for 90 minutes is a very good thing, building endurance for that Half next June.  I'm hoping to have my long run up to 10 miles by the end of the year, then keep it there for a few months before inching it up towards 12 or 13 before June 4.  That's the plan, anyway.  Love that long run on Saturday - really look forward to it as long as I'm well rested.

Lost over 100 lbs. in 11 months in 2008-2009

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Sur International Marathon Power Walk Division 10.6-Miler 2:40:30  April 2010

Run For Isaiah 4.4k  38:30 Sept. 2010

Eyes on Aids 10k 77:40 Oct. 2, 2010

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upcoming Challenges:

Hospital Hill HM June 4

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Well, the Des Moines Half Marathon is in the rearview mirror.  I'll post a full report in a day or two, probably here rather than in "Race Results".  I was a few minutes slower than last year for reasons I'll include in the report (not weather-related), but overall not a bad day.  Weather was great; upper 40s at the start, rising to the lower 50s by the end.

I hope everyone's races went well and I look forward to reading your reports.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• Dougal40 Amateur 29 posts since
    Jul 18, 2010

Jo Ann and Chipper, congrats on your races.  Donna still waiting for a report.

My first HM is in the books.  What a wonderful day for a race.  About 45 at the 7:30 start.  Warmed up slightly during the sun filled course.  I started out slow with my daughter who was running her first FM.  First mile in 9:38.  Then left her and ran my pace.  Mile 13 was 8:30.  Finished in 1:57:35 an 8:59 pace.  I had a great time.  I waited for my daughter to finish and ran the last .2 with her.  Here is a link to my garmin.  http://connect.garmin.com/player/53418190

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

Hey all you racers,

Congratulations on some stellar performances! You are all doing great, keep it up.

PJ,

Wow you are really kicking it in gear, 8 miles? Nice job, you have really stepped up big time from just a few short months ago!

Friday I did a 5K run, it woke my legs up pretty good. I am anxious to get back to where I was. I am thinking maybe another week of 5K runs then hit it hard like I was. 21 days off seems so little time off to have to fight so hard getting back where I was but I am not a young man any more so I guess it goes with the territory.

Once again, Nice job Racers!

Onward and Forward !

• donna0325 Expert 53 posts since
    Jul 12, 2010

Well, I successfully competed the Denver Rock N Roll Half this morning.  Don't know my exact time, because it looks like my chip time didn't register.  And, I think I stopped my watch at the balloon arch (2:11:45) instead of the actual finish timer.  I'm somewhat disappointed; was hoping to beat the time from my August HM.  There is some good news . . . no GI problems today (well, at least not until the drive home).  I did have some good beginning times - - 18:58 for at the 2 mile mark and 29:48 at the 5K mark (1:01 something at the 10K).

It was 43 degrees when I pulled into the parking lot at 5:30 am, and 73 when I left at 11:45.  The race was chilly at the start, but was a wonderful clear and sunny with a temperature probably in the high 50's or low 60's at the end.  The course was pretty much flat, running through Denver neighborhoods, parks and downtown.

Maybe I"ll write more of a race report tomorrow.  I just discovered the chip thing about 5 minutes ago, and am still bummed.  It was a disposible chip, and I did notice at the finish (looking at other runners) that I may have looped it wrong.

Half Marathon:

Heart & Sole, Boulder, CO - 8/22/10 - 2:09:51

Denver Rock N Roll, Denver, CO - 10/17/10 - 2:11:01

Platte River, Littleton, CO - 4/10/11 - 2:01:31

10K:

Bolder Boulder, Boulder, CO - 5/30/11 - 58:00:00

5K:

Quicker Quaker, Lafayette, CO - 1/8/11 - 26:57

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

DiDi55,

Tell your husband good luck on his smoking cessation. I have never heard of "Electronic Cigarettes" What is it? Have him get a book called The Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allen Carr. His methodis a world wide yet still little known success. He has clinics all over the globe that boast a proven success rate of 90%. That success rate is over twice that of all other smoking cessation methods combined. I know many many people that were chain smokers for years who quit with very little effort after reading the book. They tried every thing out there with no luck but the book was like a miracle cure. Good luck!

Me and my little feet,

With out knowing your diet, hydration, recovery routine, or how intense and frequent you train it is difficult and dangerous to advise you but? Hearing that you circuit train makes me wonder if you are over training because what you described sounds to me like fatigue. Food for thought! I would have a close look at your complete training routine then analyze things more thoroughly.

Onward and Forward !

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

My HM in the annual Duke City Marathon in Albuquerque, NM went okay.  The event inclueded a Marathon (started at 7 am), Relay Marathon (7 am), a 5K Run (7:10 am), a 5K walk (7:20 am), HM Run (7:45 am), and a HM walk (8:00 am)!! There were 1004 HM Runners alone!!  The event was a benefit for the NM Cancer Center.  "Motivation Stations" (water/gatorade stops) were well placed along the course with plenty of volunteers including military men/women (Kirtland AF) and supporters/spectators along the bank of the river.  It was chilly and still kinda dark in the morning but we had access to the convention center where many were staying warm but as soon as the sun came up, it was a beautiful clear morning, not even a breeze. 

I was anxious about running a road course (versus off-trail course) but relaxed and confident about the distance.  I felt ready to go despite the fact that I did forgot to pack my running socks!?!  "What the heck was that about?" I kept asking myself the night before while laying out my stuff.  I borrowed my cousin's which felt fine.  I took my newer shoes for road running and decided to use some 'Body Glide' on my feet as I have been battling blisters on my toes lately.  Toes are not very 'pretty' anymore but they 'look' tough!  LOL!!  I left around 6:30 am, traffic was steady but had plenty of parking lots in the downtown plaza area.  I have been hydrating all day Saturday and had a light pasta dinner.  I had half a bagel, and a Gatorade perform drink during my morning drive which gave me just enough time to use the bathroom before line-up.  Little elbow room but everyone was courteous and trying to stay warm by jogging in place.

I felt good from the start after passing the slower runners.  I kept to my plan to walk one-minute after each mile until mile 4, then I walked a minute every 2 miles, drinking a combination of water and Gatorade perform drinks. The course was pretty flat and paved as it was along an urban trail. 

At mile 7 turn-around, I was elated that I was under 62 minutes!!  I kept up my pace with a couple of other runners until just pass mile 10; I felt my left Achilles tendon beginning to flare up!!  OMG!!    At each step, I could feel it being strained so I walked my one-minute, hoping it would ease off but I had to walk again at mile 11, getting discouraged by this time as I could see on my watch that my pace was considerably slower.  The two runners I kept up with were now about 200 yards ahead of me!  D...m!! 

I kept hoping my 'second' wind' would kick in for a strong finish which I rely on the last two miles, but the more I pushed myself, the more the tendons screamed! The last mile seemed endless but I picked up the pace regardless and pass about 8 runners before the finish line finally came into sight!  I still had enough stamina in me so the last few yards, I zoned out the pain and ran as fast as I could; it felt great!  I jogged about 1/4 mile afterwards to my car and got my camera to take photos of the post-run activities; drinking tons of water, eating orange slices and walking and massaging my calves every few minutes. 

It took awhile for the race results to be posted but my time was 1:57:11; I came in 398th out of 1004 runners!! 

Yes, honestly, I was pretty disappointed as I was hoping for a time under 1:50 which, at mile 7, I thought I had it. 

I felt pretty down the rest of the day and on the drive home (5 hours),   I kept reflecting on my 'injury run' which my 'cyber coach' kept telling me that it definitely affected my time ............. and it would happen to anyone too who is literally running injured.  Besides, he says, this is 'only' a training run for my marathon in Jan. 2011.  It is best to think about the healing process so to be healthy for the 26.2 distance. 

I could have run longer which tells me that I am building up endurance and strength!  Yes!  And, my toes didn't suffer any blisters!  Yea!! 

So, it was bittersweet. 

Anyway, I have another setback this morning, I woke up with a zit on my chin!!  Great!?!#!

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010

What a bummer about your chip not registering!  But, your 'time' is awesome nonetheless!! 

I almost registered for the Denver HM but decided on the ALBQ event instead.  I use to live in Denver and do recall the race events held in the city which I thoroughly enjoyed.  I love Denver and still travel there on business thoroughout the year.  Haven't caught a race event yet but I do a training run to the city park. 

Congrats on finishing!! 

Trail runner

• Me and my little feet Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010

Thanks calbiker and PJ Freeman for your input ! I had a 2 day rest period and then ran Sunday and had no problems at all. I just felt so great after that run I couldn't believe it - no weak knees, no huffing and puffing..... I wanted to run and  dance  in the middle of the street!  I am not quite up to a solid 3 miles with out a little walking but I'm getting close!!! I think the weak knees could be from either over-training or I need to do some spot training.  I'll see my trainer tomorrow and find out what she recommends.

It really makes a big difference all aoround when you have a good run!

Jan 20, 2010

I've never heard of 'electronic cigarettes' ............. like you, I don't understand tobacco addiction either but it must be pretty powerful as much as it is destructive.

I hope it works for your husband and for your sanity.  I understand the anxiety and worry associated with such non-healthy, self-induced habits that we observe in others but more so with family and friends.

Keep active and stay motivated on running; it will absolutely help you to better cope with the worries.

Good luck!

Trail runner

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

My Des Moines HM went both better and worse than I hoped.  My finishing time was slower than last year, but there were some positive offsets.

We did packet pickup and the expo on Saturday.  I bought two bright green long-sleeved tops for when I'm running outside, one medium size if I'm wearing only it and one large size to wear over another long-sleeved top in colder weather.  There's also a Saturday farmers' market with lots of great homemade products and food booths.

I got up around 5:30 Sunday so I had time to shower, dress and eat at a leisurely pace.  Plus, I hadn't slept much since 4:30.  I had some sports drink, a Nutri-Grain bar and a banana at about 6:00 (race started at 8:00).  We drove downtown, parked (my son knows all the parking garages that are free on the weekends) and walked to the start area.  Temperature was about 45 degrees, so I wore two layers on top (short sleeves over long sleeve), but no tights or gloves.  Last year was 35 at the start, so I wore both tights and gloves.  I met my pace group leader and we started right on time.  It took us about three minutes to get to the timing mat, so I made sure not to start my watch until then.

The first seven miles were uneventful.  The FM and HM routes run together for the first 2.5 miles and they had big signs reading "Full" and "Half" with arrows at the split point so that it is really hard to turn the wrong way.  We made the water stops short.  The first five miles are on on city streets, followed by almost three miles in a large city park where we crossed the 10K timing mats.   The 10K split was 1:05, seven minutes slower than last year, but still on pace to be well under 2:20 if I had been able to keep up that pace.  Last year's pacer had us running under 10:30 so that we could afford to walk at the water stops and still make it under 2:20, but we were closer to 10:40 this year, still an OK pace.  I thought about going ahead at 10K, but I felt comfortable and decided to stay with the group.

Here's where the "worse" part starts.  My shoulders and upper arms started aching after seven miles, just before we left the park.  Regardless of what I tried to relax them, it continued.  I finally had to slow almost to a walk so I could rotate/shrug my shoulders to relax.  It helped, but I had to drop my arms almost to my side to get any relief that would last more than a mile.  I'm not used to running like that and, until this year, I had not had that problem.  I had noticed it during some of my longer training runs, but thought it wouldn't be much of a problem.  Anyway, I lost the pace group at that point.  I slowed through the water stops to stretch the shoulders, and it seemed to help.  I kept taking gels about every 30-40 minutes and drinking my Gatorade.

Here's where it gets better.  My second half was actually two minutes faster than last year, even with the slowing at the water stops.  I started feeling better and at about mile ten,  I picked up the pace for the last three miles, did them without stopping and finished in 2:23.  As we all know, hearing the music and crowds before seeing the finish banner makes a lot of aches and pain go away.  Although this was five minutes slower than last year on the same course, the fact that I could make up some time during the second half, even with the aching, made me feel better about the overall race.

There's one more "better" part.  I'll save that for the end.

I usually don't eat at the race area, but this year they had pulled pork sandwiches (remember, this is Iowa) and peanut butter bars, along with my favorite recovery drink, chocolate milk.  Never has that tasted so good.  Before I went back up the course to find my wife, I sat and ate and listened to the band.  They did Don McLean's "American Pie" and anyone old enough to know the words sang along.  I had my tights there, so I put them on to avoid getting chilled as I cooled down.

As I have said before, my son was running his first full 26.2 and my daughter-in-law ran the HM.  His time goal was 4 hours and he did the first half in 2 hours and some seconds, so he was exactly on pace.  After four hours came and went and he had not appeared, I started to worry.  I stayed near the finish line to be sure he came in, albeit long after his goal time.  He told me that he started feeling severe pain in his right hip and knee, forcing him to slow to a combination of jog and walk for most of the second half.  He does not know what happened and he had not had that problem on even his longest training runs.  My daughter-in-law started feeling knee pain after the first 10K and had to walk virtually the last six miles.  Both were disappointed, but they finished.  After we got back to their house, they headed for the Advil bottle and then the shower.  He was still limping somewhat this morning, but not badly.  When you're 30 and in shape, you recover quickly.

Here's the last "better" part.  The race results appear in both the traditional 5-year age groups and by individual year.  I had hoped to finish in the middle of my age group and would have had I not had the shoulder problem, but I finished nearer the bottom than the middle.  However, I did finish first among all the 64-year-olds in the HM field, men and women.  I had done this last year too and hoped to be in at least the top three this year.  Next year I will be in the 65-69 age group and will therefore get away from all those fast 60-year-olds.  The age groups get really small at 65 and up, so I guess Medicare trumps racing in lots of runners' minds.  There was, however, one 71-year-old who finished in just over two hours.  I suspect he's been running most of his life.

This race is exceptionally well organized and attracts a fast elite field.  I think the winning men's HM time was 1:04 and the winning men's FM time was 2:10.  The FM men's winner caught me and those around me at about our 10.5-mile mark.  He had two motorcycles escorting him and he passed us like were standing still, with a huge smile on his face, as we cheered him on.  He won by over three minutes.

I highly recommend this race.  At about 5,000, the combined field is large but not overwhelming.  Water stops are frequent with lots of volunteers and the porta-potties are plentiful.  There's music about every mile.  If you want a good time in Iowa in mid-October, you could do a lot worse.

P.S.:  If anyone has any suggestions for my shoulder ache, I welcome them.  I don't know if I wasn't drinking enough or just carrying my upper body too stiffly or something else.  If there's something I can be doing during a run before the problem starts, please tell me.  I'm glad I'm getting old and can still do this running stuff.  I could do without the aches, but it comes with the territory, I guess.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• rookierunner51 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010

Just started back running in the past year..mostly been on again, off again...my goal is to run at least one marathon in my life...just ran my first 10k in 10 years and am okay with it...10.37 minute mile average, which included walking almost all of mile 5...usually run on treadmill during the summer months because its so humid here in north carolina...outside running is so different....registered for 5k the end of the month ...wanting to run a few more before the end of the year...along with one more 10k....ran outside today and felt great....just ran listening to music, no time piece and no idea how far until i finished and went back and clocked it...

Barb

Halloween Hustle Against Domestic Violence 5K.....10/31/2009.......31:54

Run the Quay 5k.....6/5/2010......33:30

Tufts Health Plan for Women 10K....10/11/2010.....1:05:56

Warrior Angels Battle Buddy Boogie 5k....10/30/2010......29:06:66

World Run Day.....11/7/2010

32nd Annual Jingle Bell Jog 10k...12/4/2010

Ryan's Reindeer 5k....12/18/2010

• skirun50 Pro 80 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010

Wow, all the half marathon reports are so inspiring!

Dougal40: Great time, great pace, not only do you run far, you run fast. Great race!

Donna: Too bad about the chip. Sounds like your race went well

Di: Don't worry about not getting a PR. Be proud that you finished (especially with an injury) Hope your tendons are feeling better today

Steve: I loved reading your race report. What a great experience. Sounds like overall your race was a good one. Good luck solving the shoulder problem.

4/24/10: 5K Run for the Red Cross 44.9

6/26/10: 5K Runners North 36.00

* Broke 8 mile mark 8/15/10

9/11//10: 5K Apple Days 31:49

9/18/10: 5K Top of Utah 30.37

10/2/10: 5K Pumpkin Run 30.02 PR

10/9/10: Wasatch Woman 6K, 39.07

10/23/10: Run for the Ringers 5K, 30.02

Upcoming Goals:

TOU Half marathon 8/27/11

1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 315 Previous Next

Actions