Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

977846 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 ... 315 Previous Next
  • PJ Freeman Pro 115 posts since
    Feb 17, 2009

We followed the rain to Arizona and ran the Lost Dutchman 10K in the Phoenix area.  I finished it in 1:19:11, but I think I'm sidelined for a while.  I didn't even make it a mile when my knee started killing me from my IT band.  I ended up walking for a while (it doesn't hurt when I walk), running just a little and then walking more.  It has not hurt like that since RnR Vegas in December and has in fact not bothered me much at all since I took the break.  The ironic thing is that I went to my sports chiropractor this week and he found the place that was jumbled up in my IT band and worked it.  I have been cross training, working on my leg/hip muscles, stretching it and rolling it on the roller.  I am very frustrated at this point.  My sciatic nerve was bothering me from traveling in the car for 6 hours yesterday so I don't know if that affected it or not.

On the drive back home I decided I'm going to stop running for 2 months and continue cross training.  I would like to find a good sports medicine doctor to evaluate everything that's been going on.  Most doctors just think you're crazy when you get to be my age (51 as of this month) and want to run.  Nothing works my heart and lungs like running or leaves me feelling as good as I do after a run.  I'm not willing to give it up yet.

Laurie - I'm so glad that you are doing so well!

2010 Coronado Independence Day 5K - 40:12

2010 AFC 5K - August 15 - 37:32

2010 End of Summer Fire Run 4mi- August 29 - 49:55

2010 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Relay - October 2 - 57:12

2010 Shelter Island 5K - November 7 - 36:20 PR

2010 Silver Strand Half Marathon - November 14 - 3:14:05

2010 Las Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon - December 5 - 2:58:35

2010 Jingle Bell 5K for Arthritis - December 11 - 37:28

2011 Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker 10K - February 13 - 1:25:46

2011 Lost Dutchman 10K - February 20 - 1:19:11

2011 Saint Patrick's Day 10K - March 12 - 1:13:48 PR

2011 Carlsbad 5000 - April 3 - 34:30 PR

2011 Rock & Roll San Diego HM - June 5 - 2:51:54 PR

2011 Coronado Independence Day 5K - July 4 - 35:34

2011 America's Finest City 5 K- August 21 - 34:40

UPCOMING

2011 Rock & Roll Los Angeles - October 30

2012 Disneyland Tinkerbell Half - January 29

• DJTucker Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,056. Feb 20, 2011 6:27 PM (in response to Billsr)
    Re: Great long run today!

Sounds like everybody had a good day today.   Bill, it's hard to believe that you didn't place.  Tennessee has state park runs during the "off season."  I think it runs November through February.  Some are pretty neat.  But there are a lot of hard core runners.  I did a 5 miler a few weeks ago.  In the 50-54 female group, first, second & third pace finsihed overall female second, third, and fourth.  I was thrilled with a 9:07 pace and  think I was at the bottom of my age group.  Really strange thing was there were no runners male or female in the 20-24 group.  My goal this year is to finish a 5K in under a 9:00 minute pace.  Came close once last year.  Finished 27:04 and the next 5K was 37:38! Go figure!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

PJ, sorry to hear about your pain/injury issues. Hopefully the 2 months off will allow for healing. Keep us posted. You will be in our thoughts.
    Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    2,058. Feb 20, 2011 7:09 PM (in response to susanbarron)

Susan, Kirk, et al, I just ordered the Garmin 305 from Amazon, free shipping $128.52, not a bad deal. Forgot to ask you all.....Did I need any accesories, or is it complete? Except for bike attachments, which I may get later.

I'm excited and reserve the right to ask stupid quesotions to figure out how to operate it

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• MangoLuvr Laurie Pro 82 posts since
    Oct 3, 2010

Oh, bummer, PJ!  It is so frustrating and worrisome when you can't figure out what's causing the problem, too! I actually had IT Band Syndrome when I ran back in the 80's.  I can't remember if I ever figured out how to treat it or if that was the reason I finally had to quit running.  It was either that or back pain from my fibromyalgia.  Yeah, I've had it since I was young.  Blah.

I do seem to remember a good stretch for the outside of the knees.  Just stand with one foot crossed over the other and bend down as far as you can go and hold it awhile, then switch feet. You should be able to feel a good stretch in those knees, but don't overdo it. I still do that when I'm doing a full stretching routine. I have a hard time making myself do the full one, but lately I've been doing it while watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire and it seems to be working well, lol, since I don't have to have my eyes on the tv every minute.

DJ, by my calculations 27:04 is a sub-9 min. 5k.  It's about an 8:46 pace [oops, I think 8.72 is closer to 8:43 or 8:44, even better).  You have to remember that 5k is not exactly 3 miles, and that one/tenth of a mile extra definitely counts for something!

Lost over 100 lbs. in 11 months in 2008-2009

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Sur International Marathon Power Walk Division 10.6-Miler 2:40:30  April 2010

Run For Isaiah 4.4k  38:30 Sept. 2010

Eyes on Aids 10k 77:40 Oct. 2, 2010

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upcoming Challenges:

Hospital Hill HM June 4

• 7suns Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 16, 2008

I think I will look into one of those Garmins too. It sounds like a very good tool to have.

Lucky for me I decided to do my long run yesterday on the dry roads and balmy 16 degrees. Today we have 10 inches of snow and blowing!

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    2,061. Feb 20, 2011 9:01 PM (in response to Billsr)

Bill

Great run today!!

Look at the web site below. You should be able to find the manual for your Garmin.

Jack

https://buy.garmin.com/support/manuals/searchManuals.faces?refresh=true

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    2,062. Feb 20, 2011 9:19 PM (in response to PaintingLady)

Great runs ALL;

Laurie, Great week!!  Have you tried any of the Chi Walking?

PJ, Take care of that knee. I really hope you find a good running doctor.  If you have any strong local running organizations, perhaps they will help identifying a good one.

Susan, Listening to your body is such a great skill!  I am really trying to not only listen, but to act on what its telling me.

Marie.  Great pick up on the Garmin!  They should have said in the advertisement if it cae with a Heart Rate band or not. Other than that the accessories to charge and download will be in the package for the basic watch. The manuals leave a bit to be desired.   I tried jogging about .25 mile in my Nike Free's. They are different, but I do like running in them. Lite, and flexible. The Newtons are stiffer and feel as if they would be a bit more durable on the trails I like to use.  The Newtons probably aren't more durable, but I am not used to such a lite and flexible shoe as the Nike Free.

Good running

Jack

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Hi PJ:

I ran the 1/2 marathon in the Lost Dutchman too!  WOW! Would have liked to say hi ...... bummer!  It was pretty chilly, sprinkling rain, some breeze now and then, around 50 degrees!

I rarely get 'sick' so wouldn't you know it, I was fighting a head cold all week with some lingering congestion, so today's race was pretty sluggish for me.  I did finish in 1:55 .......... not bad, considering how I was feeling but I was hoping for between 1:45 - 1:50.

I came in 273 overall out of 1069 runners, 7th in my age category.

I didn't like the course. I didn't like the event overall.  I thought it was a trail course.  I don't like road courses.  And, the weather certainly didn't help.  Yeah, not very happy with my run today.

More importantly, my right knee has an issue.  During one of my training runs about two weeks ago, I slipped on some ice/snow down a hill, grabbed a branch which kinda softened my fall but my tailbone hit a large smooth rock jutting out of the ground and covered with ice.  Needless to say, the left side of my tailbone has been a pretty shade of deep purple with a huge bump for the last few days!!!

Hurts to sit or lay on my left side.  But it didn't affect my training runs in regard to leg muscles/ankles, etc.

Well, last Saturday, I did some intervals, about 10 miles on the treadmill and noticed some 'stiffness' but I was in denial ...........thinking I need to 'run it off' ..... but that evening, my knee was swollen.

I know my right knee kinda gave out when I fell but I didn't think I pulled or strained anything.

I have been icing it and resting it for four days, and then the head cold/congestion set in all last week. Darn!!

So I didn't get a good run in as I rested till Friday when I did an EASY workout by running slowly 2 miles, cycle 5 miles, elliptical 30 minutes, weights 30 minutes.

Think I over did it?!?  bummer!!  And it snowed here Friday, Saturday and Sunday (today) so it is pretty cold which didn't help, I'm sure.   
    I wear a knee brace below my right knee during my training runs and races.

But, in today's race, I felt my leg muscles tiring at mile 9 and suddenly felt my right knee 'pop' into place at mile marker 10.5 ........ it was weird.  I had a good pace with a couple of other guys but I slowed down just to see if anything else would happen.  I thought about stopping but I ran up to mile 11 when I took a walk break, hoping that that was all it needed.

It started to sprinkle again, I felt the chills and my throat got sore.

I decided to go for it and ran the last two miles trying to catch the two guys but I could feel my knee swelling up again, it didn't 'hurt' but can feel some inflammation.

It is tender now and I have been icing it most of the evening.  Still feel some chills, coughing, sniffles, sore ...... but refuse to get 'sick'.  LOL!  Need to recover for a few days for sure.  I have a business trip to Denver so that should help in recovering and resting.

I have another HM on March 12th, a technical trail course, and I know it is a TRAIL COURSE ......... but its description of the course is interpreted into meaning I may not finish under 2 hours. Love these type of challenges!

Trail runner

• KIRK_T Legend 279 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010
    2,064. Feb 21, 2011 2:49 AM (in response to PaintingLady)
    Re: Garmin & accessories

Marie,

The only extra that I purchased was the foot pod so I can monitor cadence while running.

Mine came with HR monitor, and I think all 305's do.

Kirk

Kirk: Started running again at 50.

2010: 4-5K 1-3.5 mile 2-Half Marathon

2011: 3-5K 1-3.5 mile 1-8K 1-10 mile 16-Half Marathon 1-Marathon

Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon 01/15/2012 3:28:33 PR & BQ

F^3 Lake Half Marathon 01/28/2012 1:48:34

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 03/25 43:29

Chi Town Half 4/01 1:57

Illinois Marathon 4/28 3:56

Wisconsin Marathon 5/05 3:56

Lake Geneva Marathon 5/12 3:56

Rockford Marathon 5/20 4:08

Soldier Field 10 Mile 5/26 1:31

Run for the Zoo 5K 6/03 19:57 PR

13.1 Chicago 6/09 1:50

North Shore Half 6/10 1:46

Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 7/22

Chicago Half 9/09

Fox Valley Marathon 9/16

Chicago Marathon 10/07

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008

Welcome aboard!

I would say you are over training , back off go a little slower and see if it feels better.

Are you taking days off? Your body needs days off to rest and heal.

Another suggestion is are you wearing a good pair of properly fitted running shoes? A good pair of running shoes is going to cost $100 and are worth every penney (speaking from experience) and also they need to be replaced every 400 - 500 miles.

You could be running through "The Wall" sometimes alternating between walk and run is the only way to break through.

Massage, Ice and Rest are very good for your pains.

I am 52 years YOUNG and started running in 2007 to lose weight. I have lost 60 lbs. and I am training for my 4th full marathon. I have started a blog to answer such questions as yours.

Good Luck

Art

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009

I am paying today for running too hard with a strained groin muscle yesterday. My club has a grand prix schedule of one race per month which is a good thing to keep you going in the winter. Unfortunately I take the series far too seriously and pushed way too far in my race. This week I'm going to scale things back to recover.-Bll

Jack-Thanks for the Garmen link. I will look that up.

Dj- I find the 50 group ( men and women ) to be quite competitive. I have medaled in 3 or 4 races but its pretty tough. I'm often passed by a few ladies in the 50 group and have also seen the top female finisher from that group. To improve your times I would suggest incorporating some speed work into your workouts at least once a week. I found that really helped.

PJ-Sorry about your IT problems. I went through that last spring. It is tough to deal . You were a trooper to do your HM.

Di-Good job in your HM. Tough and no fun to run when you are sick.

• lindakay228 Legend 201 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010
    2,067. Feb 21, 2011 6:16 AM (in response to Scrufffy)

Jack - Last year I bought 2 pair of the Nike Free 7.0's and loved them.  My last pair is wearing out.  I went online and and had a hard time finding the 7.0's.  I could find them but the color wasn't exactly the one I wanted but after checking several websites I finally got went ahead and ordered them.  I wanted the gray but in the size I needed I could only find blue.  But that's okay.  But I have loved them so much and they are so comfortable I was afraid to try something different without going in a running store to try them out.  These have worked for me.  The closest running store is over 3 hours away.  We have Hibbit Sports here in town but my experiences with them is they know not much.  Just like some of the mall stores 2 hours away.  They sell all these athletic shoes but have no clue what running is about.  One of the stores last year I tried on a pair of shoes and they just fit.  The young guy tried to sell them to me.  I told him I needed a bigger size because when my feet swell they won't fit right.  He thought I was crazy so I left.  They just don't get that if the shoe fits when you haven't been running it's not going to work when you have been.  My feet do get bigger when I run.  Or even walk a few miles.  But I have been so happy with the Nike Free and I have trouble with my feet so if I'm happy with a shoe I'm afraid to tamper with it.  But I just love the lightness and the flexibility.  I have feet that are big and a little wide so I buy a men's shoe because they don't come in wide width for women.  Nike tends to run a little small too.

Whole Enchilada 5k, Las Cruces NM 9-26-10 43:32

All Souls Trail Race, Silver City NM 10-30-10 45:55

Global Health 5k Run/Walk, Albuquerque NM 11-6-10 40:11

Ultimate Fitness 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5k, Deming NM 11-25-10 38:35

New Beginnings 5k Jan 23, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 40:20

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 12, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 39:54

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

Fort Bayard Wilderness 5k Trail Race May 28, 2011 40:52

Ultimate Fitness 9th Annual Turkey Trot, Deming NM 11-24-11 35:14

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 11, 2012 Las Cruces NM 38:29

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    2,068. Feb 21, 2011 6:59 AM (in response to KIRK_T)

Kirk is correct.  The Model 305 has the heart rate monitor.  I have the 205, which does not, but it does everything else that the 305 does.  I download all my runs into the supplied Training Center software which I installed on my laptop.  I set the device so that one "lap" equals a mile.  That way I can see my performance on a mile-by-mile basis.  On the downside, I have found that the elevation function does not work properly all the time.  For example, we do interval training in the summer on our high school track.  It's flat, but the Garmin still shows elevation changes.  Otherwise, I'm very happy with it.  And yes, it keeps registering even under fairly long stretches of trees.

Kirk, where is the trail that you mentioned in connection with your recent long run?  If it's along the north shore, it's probably too long a drive for me, but it may be closer.

I have been fighing a head cold for the past week, so no running.  I think I should be over it by Wednesday or so, then back to the gym.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    2,069. Feb 21, 2011 9:19 AM (in response to SteveBikeRun)

PJ and Di sorry you both are hurt/sick...hope you take the time needed to heal. I was off running for about a month after the half I ran because I was to excited to run again and hurt my hip....lesson's we learn!

Marie- congrats on the 5 miles, you are one of the most determined people on here with all the rehab you went through and the hard work you've put in to come back!!

I was right in the middle of catching up on the posts when my husband walked in saying You got a box from Amazon....YAY MY GARMIN CAME!!!!!!!!!  I just ordered it 2 days ago!!

So off to learn what I can and try it out this afternoon!!!!!!!!!!  As Marie said I too reserve the right to ask silly/techno questions!!!!!!!

Good luck on all your runs everyone!!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...