Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

911357 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 315 Previous Next
  • calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

Welcome Mamabear, Bill and Grandrun,

Bill,

I can relate as well. I am 50 but feel inside as if I am 26. It gets hard adjusting to what I used to do and what I can do now but for the most part it all evens out. When I was 26 I could not run 6 miles 3 days a week like I am now so I am ahead of the game now at 50. I would have to agree with coolbikermom Bill, you need more rest between runs.

Mamabear,

Sorry hearing about your toe but glad hearing you will push through it and keep going. Yes, properly fitted shoes will make all the difference in the world. If you have a Roadrunner Sports by you see them and get fitted. Any other place that analyze your feet is fine as long as they know what they are doing.

Lindakay,

I like your choice of words, "onward and forward". That should be the motto of the group here!

coolbikermom,

It looks you started a very useful thread here, thank you once again for that. Congratulations on hitting the 5 mile mark, I know how hard that was. My biggest battle was hittin 5.5 but I bet you cruise right through that.

Yes, I am definitely getting my cardio but I want to accurately track my progress so I ended up tossing the Nike + and getting a Garmin 405cx with a foot pod. I would estimate that about 85% of Nike + users have no idea how inaccurate there stats are becasue they never watch the data continuously while running as I do. I am just a dial and gauge watcher I guess. At this point I am still trying to figure the Garmin out but it is a breath of fresh air after dealing with Nike and their numerous issues. I am once again filled with new hope and motivation that was lost with the whole Nike debacle. As far as Nike goes, I think it served a brief purpouse as it motivated me to improve my stats but once I got serious I found it to be more of an inaccurate toy than a serious runners tool.

A word on heat,

As some have said, run earlier. As also mentioned fans are okay but I find if they blow in my face I get dry mouth easy which leads to over hydration and teh related problems of runing with too much liquid sloshing around inside me. A temperature controlled gym is also an option for thsoe who have that luxury. I run on a treadmill in my garage gym so I have very little options but to run earlier and grind it out with a fan blowing my back.

Onward and Forward !

• grandrun Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010

Calbiker it's funny to hear about what people were able to do when they were younger-I think I did nothing!!  I'm 57 and there really wasn't any organized sports in my high school for females plus I hated to sweat-man do I sweat now!  I am so much further along physically than when I was younger.  My biggest fear (concern) is injuries.  I have a problem with IT band on the outside of right knee and not sure how to proceed with running.  I did a half marathon this past weekend and at mile 11 my knee just locked.  I had to keep stopping and stretching to get to the finish.  My grandchildren were my motivation since they were at the finish line waiting for me-I had to save face and run it through.  Would love some advice on how to keep knees healthy-stretching suggestions or exercises would be great.

• Bill80027 Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009

Thank you for the welcome.  This is a good thread and focus!  I am going to do an easy 5-6m run tonight after no running since Saturday's 5K flameout.  I did walk a 5K on Sunday with Weight Watchers.   The reality of age is a hard one to come to grips with at times.  I have had so many successes this year and am ahead of where I thought I would be I just kept pushing ahead until it caught up with me on the weekend.  But now, a bit more humbled, I am ready to get back at it!

Graduated C25K 10/11/09 with Mountain House 5K 33:25

Personal Bests:

Mountain House 5K 10/23/10  24:45

Nitro Turkey Trot 10K 11/25/10 55:32

San Jose Rock N Roll Half Marathon10/1/10 2:08:49

California International Marathon 12/5/10 4:51:42

• Bill80027 Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009

Both my wife and I are on WW.  I am down 82lbs since Jan 2008.   I wasn't medically cleared to run until last August and then started C25K.

Graduated C25K 10/11/09 with Mountain House 5K 33:25

Personal Bests:

Mountain House 5K 10/23/10  24:45

Nitro Turkey Trot 10K 11/25/10 55:32

San Jose Rock N Roll Half Marathon10/1/10 2:08:49

California International Marathon 12/5/10 4:51:42

• lindakay228 Legend 201 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010

Awesome Bill!!!!  I'm down 65 lbs since last August but not doing WW.  Just tracking my food and watching what I eat and had started doing other exercise but not running until recently.  I use a site called sparkpeople.com that is free and has tons of resources, tools, message board, teams with all kinds of hobbies or special interests, and lots of support.  It also has a food tracker and an exercise tracker I use.  That's where I first found out about c25k program and got started.  The guy that started the web site used to own an online business that was bought out by e-bay several years ago and made a fortune and has invested his own money to start it and now has some corporate sponsors to help keep it free.  It promotes healthy eating but not necessarily and one particular diet and there are people on there using all different types of diets.  I find it very useful for me.  I found it in November.  Before that I was paying for the Biggest Loser web site to track food and fitness and some message boards but it wasn't nearly as good and when I found something good for free I jumped on it!!!  I like free!!!

Anyway, as for what people did in the past, I didn't do anything.  I high school I weighed 240 and all through school was the kid someone got stuck with in gym class on their team after everyone else was chosen.  I absolutely hated exercise.  My mom was overweight too and my brothers weren't overweight but weren't active in anything.  So I didn't come from a sports minded setting.  I have always loved the forest and water though.  When I was a kid we lived a block from the swimming pool and I did spend a lot of time in there during the summer, which was my only exercise.  We used to buy season passes back then.  About 12 years or so ago I lost some weight briefly, but gained it all back.  During that time I started doing some hiking since we live near the forest but then I went through a  period where I got so tired and my muscles hurt and I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  It kind of zapped me and I gave up, and went back to my unhealthy lifestyle and went back up to 225 lbs where I stayed until last summer.  In July last year I hit a wall and was so totally exhausted I couldn't hardly get out of bed.  I thought it was from a few months of intense caring for my mom the last few months of her life before she died the end of May and working, and then trying to work hard in June to catch up on the work I was behind while taking care of her.  Finally I was diagnosed mid July with low thyroid and dehydration during a trip to the emergency room, although I had always been told before my thyroid was okay.  I got sstarted on thyroid meds and started being very careful about my hydration and started feeling better.  That was the turning point and when I started working on getting healthy again.  I still have fibromyalgia but have learned to push through it.  Summer does cause me to have more fatigue and that's why I'm having a harder time getting out early, before work, to run like I did for a little while but I'm working through it by using the gym.  I'm also doing a lot of water exercises again recently instead of the weight machines etc.  So I'm determined to push through this time and work through the issues instead of giving up like I did a number of years ago.  And it's working.  I still have about 30 lbs or so to lose to get to a weight that is within my range according to charts.  What I will go by most though is what weight I feel best at.  Since I have been overweight since about 1st grade, I've never been anywhere near a goal and will figure out exactly what is best for me as time goes on.

As for the fan at the gym, it blows from the side of me and yesterday it was turned to where it was hitting a little more behind me than on me.  There was an older woman walking on a treadmill right by the fan so I didn't mess with it because I thought maybe she didn't want it blowing right on her.  By the time she got done I was halfway through and didn't want to stop to adjust it but did wish it was blowing on me a little more than it was.  But I did do better on the treadmill yesterday than on Monday.  I did 3 minutes of warm up walking, since I had already been walking around some before I started, then got into the run.  I ran at 4.8 mph, which isn't real fast but is a good pace for me for now.  WIll work up on speed later.  I got through 25 minutes straight, then did a couple of minutes walking at 4.0 then went back to running for about 8 minutes and finished doing the 5k distance in 40:40.  Then did a cool down walk and then went and did some upper body exercises in the pool before heading back to work.

I have a small 5k scheduled on Saturday for a local charity I'm going to take part in so I won't be running any more between now and then.  Just some pool exercises.

Hope I haven't bored you with my life's story of how I got to where I am now.

Have a great day everyone.  Onward and forward!!!

Whole Enchilada 5k, Las Cruces NM 9-26-10 43:32

All Souls Trail Race, Silver City NM 10-30-10 45:55

Global Health 5k Run/Walk, Albuquerque NM 11-6-10 40:11

Ultimate Fitness 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5k, Deming NM 11-25-10 38:35

New Beginnings 5k Jan 23, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 40:20

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 12, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 39:54

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

Fort Bayard Wilderness 5k Trail Race May 28, 2011 40:52

Ultimate Fitness 9th Annual Turkey Trot, Deming NM 11-24-11 35:14

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 11, 2012 Las Cruces NM 38:29

• grandrun Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010

Thanks so much for the suggestions-I did look up info on ChiRunning and discovered our local REI (sports store) is offering a workshop on the technique and signed up for the workshop.  I have heard about it before but never followed through on checking it out-did now!  I also did checking on the IT band and think I have narrowed my problem down to not enough stretching.  My new resolution is to stretch an lot more before and after running.  Hope I can stick with it.  Don't have any upcoming races but I do have a cycling trip coming up soon so I working on relaxing the legs. Thanks again for the suggestions.

• mamabear27 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010

LindaKay

If I don't run it's because I'm being lazy or have overpacked my day. You have shown what true dedication looks like.  Thanks for sharing and you have done an amazing job!  Good luck with your race this Saturday.

• mamabear27 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010

Bill- Congrats to you and your wife!!  Losing weight is hard....keeping it off even harder!  I'm sure your exercising really helps.

I just read an interesting article about exercising which really hit home. You may only need 30 min of exercise for good health but to lose weight you must do enough according to your own metabolism.  I have found that not only do I not require the amount of food I would like to eat but that if I don't exercise enough the weight isn't going anywhere.  I have lost 35 lbs but have stalled because I know I"m not being strict enough with my food intake. I am a school teacher working on my masters degree so my days and nights are packed, so exercise is the first to go. I also help my daughter with her two babies (my precious grandbabies) so there is another obstacle to exercise....so the weight stays and I watch that scale like a hawk.  Add to the mix that I have more excuses than well just too many....

I'm glad to read these posts...they really are motivating and a good smack up side my head :-)

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

Grandrun,

I wish I could offer you advice on your knees but honestly I am not qualified. Being a new runner my self I would hate to steer you in the wrong direction. It would be like a doctor giving a prescription over the phone with out seeing or properly diagnosing the patient first. I too have knee problems but luckily so far ice after running makes it tolerable. I hope you are able to get it taken care of with out hampering your progress. I will post a link below that may be helpful to you as it has some very good diagnostic tools based on symptoms for athletes.

Mamabear,

It seems as if almost everyone runs with weight loss as their goal or reason to run. I am the opposite in that I run for every other reason than to lose weight. Running causes me to peel the weight off which is not what I want so I have the opposite problems as most of you here. You have some very valid points but I think it is important to mention that genetics also play an important part in a persons body type and size. We are all genetically engineered from birth to be how we are now. That is not say we can not work hard to lose or gain weight but genetics play as important a role as metabolism in the scheme of things. Here is a link to a very useful place that Lance Armstrong has. There are several very state of the art tools for things like calorie counts of foods, and other health related tools, some are even specific to just women too. It is www.livestrong.com  I think everybody will find at least one useful tool there if not more for their own situations and needs. 

Me,

I discovered this week from an extreme long distance runner that although I have worked up to running 6 miles 3 times a week I have fixated on distance with out first learning the most important thing a new runner needs to learn, that being finding the most efficient pace your body runs at. I struggled through every mile of 6 changing my pace all over the place based on my level of fatigue. I now have decided to get back to basics and build a strong foundation in running by decreasing my distance to a 5K 3 times a week so I can learn my most efficient pace then build on that by improving my 5K times as I progress. The belief is that once you find that pace you can run ridiculously long distances but first you must master that pace. I am learning that I made the same mistake many new runners do, walking before I could crawl. Bad habits formed while new to running are extremely difficult to break down the road so I am lucky I found this out sooner than later.

Onward and Forward !

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...