Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

975355 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 276 277 278 279 280 ... 315 Previous Next
  • Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011

Dan We are the same age. my next birthday is November. Prior to slowing down my average HR was between 140 - 145. Using Phil's formula my target rate should be the same as yours. However I put myself in group D because of all my completed races the past year and a half. My last half Marathon I ran about a 9:50. I was training at around 10:30. My heart rate now stays between 129 - 139.not their yet but on my way. However I now train between 11:20 - 11:45. On long runs I use a 3/1 ratio. prior I ran 100 % of the time. I will give you my complete opinion after my race in October. For now I'm just trusting at a slower HR and pace my increased endurance with help increase my speed in the long run. my last long run I tried a 3/1 ratio from the start. At the end of a 10 mile run my time was less than a minute slower than if I would of run 100% of the time. Except I felt like I only ran 5 miles. My resting HR now hovers around 50 - 54. Prior it was 54- 58. Two years ago it was 78-  80.one side note However when I train at Marathon pace one day a week my HR is still between 140 - 150.

Tony

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Tony and Ron, Thanks for the HR details. Been using a HRM for almost a year and I only know when it's high or low. I don't trust its accuracy enough to pinpoint a range and stay there. I scan my body for comfort to figure that out and then check the HRM to confirm how accurate I'm being.

Dan, enjoy those new shoes! Let us know if you're liking them? My newest are Brooks and I think they're finally broken in but it's taken a long time.

Debra - Family camping on Door Peninsula sounds heavenly. Hope it was nice!

Steve - You have a great plan for dealing with the after race blahs. Think I'll copy it.

Rob - I'll be at the Columbus HM, too. I'm excited! I've heard lots of good things. Haven't booked a room yet and that's probably a problem. I wasn't suggesting you slow down your pace if you are comfortable due to your HR. You asked about endurance and my suggestion was to add walk breaks with running at normal pace, 3 min run, 1 min walk, to make it possible to cover longer distance within an effort similar to what you normally exert. Another way to do this is to run all the way but at a slower pace. The goal is to prepare your legs and feet for the longer effort and eventually your conditioning will catch up. 

Kim - Welcome! You too will fit in well. We've discussed running with or without music and a surprising number of folks prefer no tunes. I always have them on to calm me down.

Bill - Glad you're enjoying your running club!I still haven't decided between the larger pay group or smaller free group. Both run out of local stores and both have experienced runners. In the larger, I'd be running with folks at my pace and mingling with beginners. In the smaller group, I'd be a pace group of one but mingling with all. That appeals most to me but for the smaller group having someone from my office.

Ron - I get that restricted content message on and off. I copy my message, log out, log back in and try again. If that doesn't work, I'll try cutting sections to isolate where the problem is. I swear posting on this site can be frustrating but it's free.

Kathy - Loved reading your group running story! You really do have the best of both worlds. Great motivation!

Kim and Rob, I started running from absolutely no experience on May 6, 2011 with C25k. I am running four days a week and working out the other two, fitting this in with full-time work behind a desk that I've been doing 20+ yrs. I've had a number of injuries, two bad enough to make me stop and one knee/leg strain that I've babied for months and which is still with me. I am 63 yrs old and amazed at what my body has done so far but am not happy with my lack of speed. My avg. pace is 15 mm and my race pace is 13 mm. I race about twice a month and *ran* two HMs this May. I've registered for a bunch in the fall: a 14k, an HM trail and 2 HMs on roads. I am also addicted; I run for endorphins! The folks on this thread have been a huge inspiration and great resource. We are lucky to have them!

Stay cool, strong and enjoy those runs!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Rob Pelletier Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011

Hi Mary,  it

It was Tony who suggested that I slow down, and I'm thinking it was good advice.  The whole idea of heart rate zone training is that working at different percentages of your MHR provides different kinds of conditioning.  Keeping your heart rate between 75 and 85% of your MHR is supposed to strengthen your heart thus improving endurance and stamina ( the two are distinct attributes, but I can't recall the subtle difference).

The fact that I'm comfortable running 45 mins at 90% MHR is irrelevant - I need to slow my heart rate down while training to below 85% of MHR in order to strengthen it.  Like any other muscle, it gets bigger if exercised properly - when it's bigger it pumps more blood per beat - THAT'S what I need if I want to stop pooping out at 11 - 12 miles.  It's not a bad thing that I can run 10 miles at 10 mins/mi (for example), but I want to be able to keep that pace for just a few miles more, or maybe even for a full 26 mi.

If I keep training at too high a heart rate, I will get faster, but I won't last any longer.

So, the training at 90 - 95 % MHR isn't a waste, it just isn't enough.  I need to combine that with long SLOW runs, to enlarge that heart muscle, make it stronger, last longer.  Since I can't run slow enough to keep my HR below 85%, then maybe a walk/run strategy is my answer. 

Our next lecture at the running store is on HR training...

Let's face it, at my age I'm not trying out for the national Olympic team.  However, like everyone else contributing here, I want (need, Jones for) improvement - an indication that my extra efforts are yielding some results.

I bet you can still book a room in Columbus, but you should act fast to get a decent rate. 

These destination races are great.  One of the instructors at our local running store started marathon training almost 30 years ago.  Set a goal:  "I want to run a marathon in each of the 50 states before my 50th birthday!"

A few years ago, at age 46, he ran his 50th, in Denver.  Not bad for a crazy Canadian! 

His marathon total is now 77:  his last one was Boston in record heat this April.  Not his best time (the heat was horrendous), but another medal (he has an entire room in his home with running souvenirs).

Maybe I'll see you in Columbus!

I will continue to read, ask questions about HR training and share whatever I learn here.  We can learn, debate, compare notes - whatever works.

You folks are the best!

Feb 27, 2011

Well gang I did it. my longest run to date 14.5 miles. It was 84 degrees when I started at 6:20. I ran slower than usual 2:40 mins. Felt great all the way with an average HR of 139. I took three shots of Hammer gel @ miles 6, 9 & 12. I stayed well hydrated. drank some Hammer Recoverite as soon as I arrived home just in time to complete my honey do list!!!!

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Tony~Congratulations on 14.5 miles!  Wow - I know you're used to Florida heat & humidity, but I am in awe!  Keep up the great training all the way to your  1st FM!

Rob, Kim~Special welcome to our merry band of runners! 

MaryKay~I'm contemplating joining a running group, too.  Let us know how it works out for you.  BTW, what Brooks are you running in? 

Dan~This hot, dry summer is making us tougher, right?

Steve~Yes, my family enjoys camping at Peninsula.  Looks like you have a great HM recovery plan in place.  Did your family in Duluth come through the heavy rains and flooding okay?

Bill~Thanks for starting the conversation on HRM.  Lots of great info was shared.

Kathy~All the best with training for all your fall HMs. Keep cool - it has been super hot in the upper Midwest this summer, and I respect all of you who deal with it on a regular basis.  You are amazing!

Marie~Good to read you like the Newtons and your training is going well.  Great idea about the foam in the sock liner - I've never thought about doing that, thanks!

AZ~Tried a bit of trail running this week on our camping trip.  It was very challenging dealing with tree roots, loose earth and rocks, but what an experience! 

The family had a wonderful camping trip.  Great weather for enjoying all the "silent sports" of trail biking, hiking, kayaking and running.  First week of HM training, and ran about 16 miles during our stay.  A special highlight was running 5 miles with a friend along Shore Road, and coming across a doe and her twin fawns!  Tomorrow will be up early to beat the heat for a 6 miler on the urban bike trail.

Run strong, friends!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Very impressive, Tony!. Debra, great job and sounds like lots of fun!

Had a great race today and am very happy with my effort. Followed the lead of another runner who is nursing a wound and ran her interval plan, whic is also the one suggested in the Galloway book about running until you're 100. I went out with 1:1 and planned to increase after the first half mile or so as my pace would allow. Well it turned out that with the hills, heat and race pressures, that 1:1 gave me a 12 mm for the first mile and that is a first for me. I was breathing pretty heavily so I didn't feel I could run a longer interval and the course was hilly. About half of mile 2 was uphill so there was a good bit of walking; I committed to push my walking pace instead of forcing myself to run more. In the end I finished with an avg pace of 13.34, a best. Though it was 103 this afternoon, we had a break this morning and there were patches of shade. I was using them to keep running at the end across the finish: "You can make it to that next shade; just one more patch." So I put it all in and it's a good feeling. Also, my run portions were from 8 - 10 mm, which is also neat to know. I could not have stretched much further but it's nice to know I may be able to move out of 15 mm with work. it feels good. Tomorrow will be TM at the gym and veg at the movies, Magic Mike - Girls Night Out!

Run strong and fierce!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Feb 27, 2011

Mkay Your training is really starting to payoff as you continue to improve. You Go Girl. can't imagine how fast and far you'll run after seeing magic mike !!!!!

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• Rob Pelletier Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 31, 2011

Spent half an hour tonight trying to post - kept getting a "Restricted Content Found" error.

Can anyone point me to a terms of use document on this site somewhere?  The least they could do is highlight the "Restricted Content"...

Couldn't find anything that even the strictest church-goer would find offensive.  Tried eliminating a brand-name I'd used - no difference.

Frustrating.  I think someone else here has been having the same problem.

Anyone know how I can contact a moderator or something?  Don't want to ware all the time posting if I get shut out for an unspecified reason...

Rob

Feb 27, 2011

Rob I had the same thing happen to me several weeks back. My post was in regards to nutrition. I referred to several types of Hammer products. I was unable to continue with my post even after I took out every product specific name. I signed out of my account signed back in and was able to post my original thoughts almost word for word. It never happened again??

2011 Races:

Half Marathon Results

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,412 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Rob, to try to answer your question, I think you got caught in a random screwup.  There are no restrictions on brand names, urls, other sites, etc. that I'm aware of.  And curse words like **** get bleeped out.  I think the only thing you can do in these situations is try again later.

Len

Len

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

Mary Kay:  Congratulations on your race and on setting a PR.  Running in that heat requires lots of discipline to know when to run and when to walk.

Debra:  I'm glad you had a good family trip in good weather.  My sister-in-law in Duluth lives high up, so they did not have flooding in their house.  The creek behind their house rose higher than it ever had before, but did not get into their yard or house.  The city had lots of road damage from sinkholes.

Tony:  I don't think I would even try for 14 miles in that heat.  Good for you and I'm glad you paced yourself and stayed strong the whole way.

I am still avoiding running in the heat.  Biking early in the morning and going to the health club for me until this breaks.

A good week of training to all.  Stay hydrated and go slower in the heat.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Tony-I tried to slow down as you suggested on my long run Saturday-10.2 mi, a new long for me.  I was running mostly 12:30-13:30 and a 3:1 ratio, and heart rate was lower, but still above his recommended range-130-140 most of the time.  (Tried the heart rate monitor for the first time and couldn't get it to read on my Garmin.  I'll change the battery and try again.  I would just check pulse at the beginning of the walk.) 

Debra- You are right about the heat.  The only way to get stronger  is to go ahead and run, but important to be smart about it. Or at least I try to.  Running a 5K Wednesday in Deforest-last year it was mid-80's at start at 8 AM, looks like it will be at least that by the forecast!

Mary Kay-  That change in the walk/run ratio sounds like a smart move.  I've been thinking of using a 3:1 ratio on the 5K on the 4th due to the heat.  We will see how the day heats up!

On my long run Saturday I changed my plan and decided to go longer since I was going slower to try to keep my HR down in the goal range.  Never sweat so much running before!  the bottle I was carrying didn't last long; I ran into a campground and filled it with cold water from the soda dispenser in the mess hall.  they were very nice about it.  I even called my wife to bring me more on the last leg.  Overall I didn't feel as bad as I have after some other runs, so the slow pace, extra water and several shot blocks must have helped.

Run strong and smart this week!

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

There was discussion about hydrating technique a while back.  I don't know if most saw this article on Active.com.  I don't know how accurate it is, but here it is for the reading: 

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Best-Long-Run-Hydration-Habits.htm?cmp=291&memberid=129899400&lyrisid=25847755&email=silkbluebmw@yahoo.com

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Dan~10.2 miles!  Nicely done, and good job choosing a route with access to water at the campground.  Yesterday was hot even along Lake Michigan, cannot imagine how sweltering it was in your area.  Forecast for high 90s and high humidity tomorrow, take care!  Thanks for the hydration info link, I'll check it out.

Mary Kay~YoooHooo!  Congratulations on the PR and a well run race!  You did an excellent job adapting to extremely harsh conditions.  So glad the run/walks are working for you.  Hope you enjoyed "Magic Mike", Soderbergh's films are usually pretty good.  Lots of "eye-candy" in this one!

Had a good 6 mile run on the mostly shaded bike path at 7:00 am.  Sections of the route were actually pleasant due to the deep shade.  Used my hand held bottle, filled 1/3 with water and froze over night.  Topped it off with water in the morning to carry with me.  Six miles is about the longest I care to use the handheld.  For longer runs change to the waist belt and larger capacity bottle, or drop frozen water bottles on the route.

Anyone racing over the Independence Day holiday? 

Run strong, friends!  Be safe out there.

• KimKnapp0 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 8, 2011

Hello Everyone! Thank you for the warm welcome. I am so glad I chimed in and joined the group. Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Tomorrow is Hill Training day. I usually run our parking garage up and down until I reach my distance. We get up and run early before everyone starts leaving for work. Tomorrow I am off ... WoooHoooo, so plan to drive to the park, trail runs along the bayou and there are many steep grades and rolling hills. Very wooded so I don't go alone and especially in the dark! That's why I run the parking garage... hills are where you find them. Need to kick out a 7 miler tomorrow...looking forward to watching the world wake up! Anyone else here run parking garages?

Shoes: Just switched from Nike to Asics. I actually love the new shoe. My foot measured larger this time. I was already a full size up from my regular shoe size.  Yikes!  it's true, my foot changed with the distance and frequency of running. They sold me oars with the shoes... they are like boats!

I have read some of the conversation thread about heart rate. This is something I have not done... calibrated my heart rate... at least not by the text book method. I know my easy pace 11 minute mile, when I can say ABC's and maintain conversation... mouth closed and breathing through nose the whole time....sight seeing as I run... naming all the birds etc....  When I kick it up a notch I can still talk but not as easily and I notice I tend to have my mouth open a bit when I breath. I am comfortable and run at 10 min pace. When I go faster, feels like I glide along but the breathing is labored and my form suffers a bit, I do catch it and make corrections.... when I am at 9 or faster pace. From what I have been reading the Heart Rate devices are not that accurate... I was thinking about getting one and trying it out, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Next week I head to Florida to be with my family. Can't wait to be home and get some beach runs in.

y'all  have a wonderful July 4th!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...